Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
WR450Guy

Raptor 377SE Generator problems

Hello all,
Wondering if anybody has had a similar problem. I purchased a 2013 Raptor 377SE in March and have had issues with the Onan 5500 it came with. The problem is that after about 3 to 4 hours of running, it shuts down and gives the "Low oil pressure" code. (two blinks). Took it back to the dealer twice now and they are telling me that Keystone has authorized them to build and install a baffle to help separate the air intake from the exhaust. They tell me that it is re-circulating the hot air and super heating the motor, causing the oil to get too thin for the oil sensor. Sounds fishy to me but I have no choice but to let them try and fix the problem. Very frustrating and I hope they are not trying to put a band aid on a major problem. Does anybody already have this baffle from the factory or is my trailer just "special".

Jeff
WR450Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
SAABDOCTOR

HOW MANY POUND TEST IS THAT LINE? oops sorry about the caps. Isn't there a grill to let air into the cabinet? sounds like a bad sensor or maybe it does have low pressure when the oil get hot. but i would bet it's a sensor. You can open the door to the gen and run it and see if it still shuts down if it does then a baffle is a waste just my 3 cents worth. good luck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
WR450Guy

There is no grate in the door, it's solid. The generator blows and sucks air from the bottom which are right next to each other. I guess the baffle is suppose to divert the hot air away from the intake.

Jeff
Old 09-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
Birddog-Singer

I have a 2013 Fuzion TT with the same 5.5 Onan generator. I put my three dogs in a create in the back room (toy hauler) and drove off to an outing and part way the generator had shut off and wouldn't restart. When it finally restarted it would run for about 10 minutes and shut back off. I called the dealer and made an appointment with the service department. Just before the appointment I went out to try the gen one more time and it ran for over 1.5 hours with no problem so I didn't make my appointment. A week later I decided to start the generator and after about 10 minutes it shut off so I took it in. They told me that they have been having a problems with the fuel pumps in the 2013's they sold and swapped a few out so that's what they did to mine. This weekend that just passed, we set out to camp two spots. We boondocked in Miami and let the gen set run all night from about 9:05 pm Wednesday until 11am Thursday and left it running for the drive to the Florida Keys. It ran most of the way down and shut off on its own. I tried to restart it because of the dogs in the back but it wouldn't. By now you can imagine my frustration! We didn't have far to go so we kept going and plugged up at the site. On Saturday I shut off the power and the generator started with no problem and ran for a while. I stood scratching my head thinking that either the gen set had enough of the Florida heat and shut off or maybe there is a motion sensor for the gen set and a bump shut it down. On Sunday morning I was back on the road at 6:00am and drove until 9:30am with the gen set running the entire way. The TT was nice and cool for the dogs. My conclusion was that it got too hot. You may want your dealer to check or replace the fuel pump. Maybe they'll want to call the service department I used. They are Florida Outdoors RV in Stuart, Fl (772) 228-2221

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Birddog-Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
tileman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR450Guy View Post
Hello all,
Wondering if anybody has had a similar problem. I purchased a 2013 Raptor 377SE in March and have had issues with the Onan 5500 it came with. The problem is that after about 3 to 4 hours of running, it shuts down and gives the "Low oil pressure" code. (two blinks). Took it back to the dealer twice now and they are telling me that Keystone has authorized them to build and install a baffle to help separate the air intake from the exhaust. They tell me that it is re-circulating the hot air and super heating the motor, causing the oil to get too thin for the oil sensor. Sounds fishy to me but I have no choice but to let them try and fix the problem. Very frustrating and I hope they are not trying to put a band aid on a major problem. Does anybody already have this baffle from the factory or is my trailer just "special".

Jeff

I have seen what you are talking about on a diff forum.
And it was doing the same thing sucking in all the hot air from the motor.

I run ours here in the FL heat sometimes 17 hours none stop and it never turns off.
Good luck on the fix.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
WR450Guy

I decided to take the bull by the horns today and called both Keystone and Onan. The Keystone customer service rep told me that she had never heard of this type of problem with any of their RV's, but did say that my dealership had notified them of the issue. She said that the "baffle" was recommended as a possible fix but they would not warranty it. I then called the Onan customer service and described the problem to them. I was told that the symptoms my generator was displaying we're due to overheating and not low oil pressure. The rep said that it might be due to an installation problem causing a lack of proper air flow. That still doesn't explain the 2 flash code "low oil pressure" it was displaying. I am in the weeds now and just hoping that this baffle the dealership is installing will fix the problem. On a good note the Onan rep told me that if I have any future generator problems to take it directly to them for warranty repairs. It's the same distance as the dealership so that is good news
Old 09-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
lakebuster

Same problem

Took mine to factory service center, found first filter full of trash from fuel tank and bad fuel pump from lack of fuel, replaced filters and fuel pump and never looked backs runs great.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
SAABDOCTOR

if the engine gets hot enough the oil pressure may go low enough to trip that code. did you try running it with the hatch open yet? if it runs fine that would confirm the over heat theory!! having cooling air and exiting hot air through the same vent seems really dumb! look at any small air plane with an air cooled engine air in around the prop hot air out by the rear of the cowl or out by the nose wheel. exit is 2 times bigger than the inlet. good luck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
Loui

Onan 5500

I had the same problem and opened up the exhaust side of the air discharge(it wasn't cut big enough on the original install) and installed the baffle or separator to separate the intake air from exhaust air.
I can now run the generator for hours at a time without it overheating.
I can post pictures later if anyone is interested.

The arrows show how the air was flowing directly from the exhaust side to the intake side causing the generator to over heat.
The baffle I added directs the exhaust air to blow down further so as not to get drawn into the intake side.
The area marked with a square box was the part of the floor that I removed.

Montana 3685FL
Chev, D/A
Loui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:16 AM   #10
Heliumhel

Mine does something similar, when it hot i started waving the hatch open and it seems to work fine now.
Heliumhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #11
WR450Guy

Thanks for the photo...the dealership called today and said the baffle is installed and they ran it yesterday with both AC's for 9 hours without a problem....It was only in the mid 80's but with any luck it fixed the problem.. I will pick it up Friday and be heading to Lake Havasu for a few days... Should get hotter weather there to give it a good test..
Old 09-12-2013, 04:48 AM   #12
rnkburg

One thing to note, if your gen start battery is not hooked to the coach battery then its not getting charged while running. The gen doesn't put out enough to keep the battery charged and run the engine electronics. This happened to me and threw all kinds of weird codes. It was a dead battery. Put a battery charger on and it runs like a champ. You could also wire into coach battery and let inverter charge.

Trust me its worth checking before having the dealer take a guess at it. Mine threw multiple codes and low oil was one. Checked and was fine. It may be all that's wrong

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
WR450Guy

I am pretty sure the generator starts off the coach batteries (2 6 volts). Unless there is another battery somewhere else I am un aware of...I will check...