Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
gemyrae

How to repair HOLE IN THE FLOOR

So on my way out of town for the Labor Day weekend, I epxerienced two blowouts. One on each side. Needless to say both fender skirts were damaged and thanks to this forum, I have found their replacements. Blow out #1 damaged a whole lot more. When the tire shredded, part of it slapped the floor behind the wheel well and it produced a hole in the floor. Once at the campsite I used gorilla duct tape and taped up the moisture barrier, then used spray insulation to cover the hole. As you can see the yellow stuff in the pics is that insulation, just partially removed so I can inspect the main load bearing frame, which does not appear to be damaged. This hole is located on the floor of a cabinet/pantry and is not visiable at all. I was considering using a piece of plywood and cover the bottom with calk to keep it from leaking air, then screwing it to the floor to cover the hole.

Any other suggestions????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor1.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	4075   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor2.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	4076   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor3.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	4077   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor4.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	4078  

2010 Keystone Hideout 26B
2011 Nissan Titan SV 4x4
Air Ride Assist Air Bags, Leveling Kit, Air Box Mod,
K&N High Flow Drop In, Smittybilt Bull Bar
gemyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd get an appropriate size piece of 1/8" aluminum sheeting, drill holes about every 3" around the perimeter of the aluminum, try to overlap at least 4 or 5 inches in all directions when you attach it to the underside of the floor, cover it with dicor non self leveling sealant, slap it in place, screw it in place, let it dry, it won't ever come off, then go inside, use plastic wood or a wood filler product, fill the hole and let it dry, then cut a new "false bottom" for the cabinet from 1'8" luan and glue it in place. The repair will be water proof, stronger than the original floor and not noticeable inside or outside.

Good Luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote