Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
justlizz

question re slideout

I have gone back lots of pages and found someone said you should not walk in slide out if it is in is that right please and also is it normal for floor of slideout to be abot 2 inches off the floor when in
thanks lizz
justlizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

What you were told is correct. When the slide is in, it is slightly raised off the floor and is not supported fully. Walking in it can cause the slide floor to separate from the walls and damage it such that it won't seal properly and won't support weight when in the out position.

If you notice, when you step on the slide (when it's in) you can feel the floor flexing downward. It isn't very thick and won't support the weight of using it in the travel position. Best to keep off it unless it's in the out position.

tHE Keystone owner's manual also has a section on slide use and maintenance and cautions against walking in the slide when it is in.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
justlizz

thanks for that I have packed the handbook as extra holiday reading as we are off on Sunday
lizz
justlizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
danimal

Good info and thank you. I never thought of that and things like this is why I read the forum.
2005 Keystone Hornet 245RKS
2008 Gulf Stream Trailmaster M220
Cobia 220 Walkaround w/Yamaha 200 OX-66 Fuel injection
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
BulletOwner1

Okay, I've got a follow on question. While there is no floor space in our slide there is a couch. When parked in our RV port there is room for the slide to go out part way allowing for comfortable use by overnight visitors. Am I doing damage by sitting on the couch?
Old 09-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletOwner1 View Post
Okay, I've got a follow on question. While there is no floor space in our slide there is a couch. When parked in our RV port there is room for the slide to go out part way allowing for comfortable use by overnight visitors. Am I doing damage by sitting on the couch?
In looking at your floor plan, I see that you have a stove and sink to the right of the couch. The slide out then comprises of the couch, stove and sink.

When the slide is retracted, have a look at area underneath the couch. If you can either see or feel a space or gap between the main floor and the slide floor, then the concerns that JRTJH outlined in his post might also apply in your case.

In our set up, we have a pull out couch and a table and 4 chairs that go in and out with the slide. When ours is retracted, we don't sit at the table or on the couch. There is a space between the entire slide floor (couch included) and the main floor.

I am thinking however, that the couch is pretty heavy in itself and if it weighs say 150 lbs then this would be equivalent to an adult standing or walking on the floor. Perhaps walking is a factor in that by doing so it might create an additional stress on it by the movement rather than by just static or stationary weight like the couch.

In any case, we are following the instructions in the manual about not walking on the slide floor and they do make sense. While it doesn't say not to sit on the sofa, it does raise a question about whether or not it is safe to do so.

Interesting.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
BusterDave

A HUGE thank you to the OP and all that responded to this. Our dealer said nothing about keeping off the slide when pulled in for travel. I hope we've not done damage in the couple weeks we've had it. I know we've been on it a few times, but won't any longer.

Thank you!
Dave