Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
skidooxman

Toy hauler garage chock

I need to figure out how to secure my Harley dresser in the back of my Fuzion 300, anyone have some suggestions or recommendations ? Thanks
skidooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
Adventurider

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooxman View Post
I need to figure out how to secure my Harley dresser in the back of my Fuzion 300, anyone have some suggestions or recommendations ? Thanks
Go with the Bolt it on system. I have a BMW GS, WR250 and 2 more bikes for the kids and it's rock solid.

Make sure you order the LONG J bolts since the Fuzion has the flush mounting points. The regular ones work for the flip up D rings.
Adventurider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
Agent 405

I use a condor wheel chock for my Road Glide. It's easy to use and it securely holds the bike in place.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Adventurider

I won't go into the whole philosophical reasoning of trailering a street bike around in a trailer though.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
randy69

I installed a removable wheel chalk. For a 2009 springer screamin eagle. You have to remove the bottom and since your there add more type downs ... One more comment you guys that ride to Laughlin or sturges your bike looks like crap when you get there. Mine is pretty

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
abneynormal

i use 2 devices

I mounted pingles in my 3912 me n dad have a 08 Vulcan 900 lt and a suzuiki boulevard trike by leighman. they both fit. the swcond device is a block of wood under the frame. I collapse the shocks down to the blocks n roll. as for trailering my bike. I burnt my tent last year. when we roll to a bike rally. we have heat and ac. you may look cool on your grimy bike but I am sleeping in my bed regardless.
abneynormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Adventurider

You guys are way too easy, I wasn't even using fresh bait!

I'm actually ok with not having a clean bike:

Old 08-07-2013, 03:01 AM   #8
mwhit

Wheel chock

This is what I use in my Fuzion 300.
http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-97841.html
No holes to drill for mounting, I place it against the front wall and tie my Goldwing down with 6 straps. 2 pulling front, 2 side to side and 2 pulling back. The chock holds the 1000 pound wing upright to allow strapping to begin. When the bike stay home the chock is removed.
Hope that helps!!!!! Good luck in whatever you decide. Mike
Old 08-07-2013, 06:16 AM   #9
flyinguy68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhit View Post
This is what I use in my Fuzion 300.
http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-97841.html
No holes to drill for mounting, I place it against the front wall and tie my Goldwing down with 6 straps. 2 pulling front, 2 side to side and 2 pulling back. The chock holds the 1000 pound wing upright to allow strapping to begin. When the bike stay home the chock is removed.
Hope that helps!!!!! Good luck in whatever you decide. Mike
This is a good looking set up, and I really like the price tag on it. It's way cheaper than the $250+ I spent on the LA Chock that I use

http://www.baxleycompanies.com/LAChock.html

'11 GMC 3500 Diesel Dually
'13 Keystone Fuzion 360
Toys to be hauled:
'08 Can-Am Outlander 650 Max XT
'04 Honda 450 ES Foreman
'03 BMW K1200LT
flyinguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
Adventurider

That one from Baxley is a pretty good setup, we used to use something really similar to that in the pits for our road racing bikes, you could pull into the pit and just run it in and get off the bike. Since we didn't have kickstands it was perfect. Stable too.

I think the harbor freight one would probably work ok since you're tying the bike down, it's not like you're trying to work on the bike with the thing.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
vbortch

Quote:
Just put it on its left side and strap it down really good to the built in tie-downs. When we get where we are going we will check to see how that works out. Live on the edge man! Looking forward to September trip!
2013 Fuzion 310 Monster Package
vbortch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Get the Condor. If you internet search you can find them for around 2 bills.

I do not screw mine down to the floor nor do I place it up against the wall. I have it set back far enough to open the door (I carry two or three bikes at times, combination of these three at any time, V Rod, Street Bob and a Phantom) and enter the garage from the living area. I did drill holes in the Condor for "S" hooks on either side so this keeps the bike secured in the Condor. Then I run the normal tiedowns from the bike to the trailer. Basically 6 straps per bike if we are traveling the ALCAN or I skip the Condor straps for short trips with good roads. Also when I know I am going to cross rough roads I will use a custom wood block under the frame of the bike and tighten the bike down to the block for zero movement setup.

If the bikes are strapped properly the Condor does not move. When I get to camp spot I use the Condors under the awning because the bikes don't take up as much room when set upright vs the side stands and never a worry about getting knocked over. Both my wife and daughter can easily pull their bikes out of the chock with a change in lower pin location. It does fold down pretty flat for storage if you find a reason not to be using it.

Here is a random link to the condor I am using....

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...FUfZQgodhDEAwA
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #13
mwhit

Don't try that

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbortch View Post
Just put it on its left side and strap it down really good to the built in tie-downs. When we get where we are going we will check to see how that works out. Live on the edge man! Looking forward to September trip!
FWIW do not tie down resting on the side stand. Way too much force will be transferred into the frame being so solid. When the bike is tied down the shocks should be compressed but not totally. The bike should have a bit of travel to soften the ride. I have been hauling bikes for years and this method has never failed me yet. Spend as much or as little as you like, several ways to skin a cat. But strapped on the side stand I will not endorse.
Good luck in your choice. Mike
Old 08-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
randy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurider View Post
You guys are way too easy, I wasn't even using fresh bait!

I'm actually ok with not having a clean bike:

. That's a nice bike but really look funny around a Harley run

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #15
vbortch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhit View Post
FWIW do not tie down resting on the side stand. Way too much force will be transferred into the frame being so solid. When the bike is tied down the shocks should be compressed but not totally. The bike should have a bit of travel to soften the ride. I have been hauling bikes for years and this method has never failed me yet. Spend as much or as little as you like, several ways to skin a cat. But strapped on the side stand I will not endorse.
Good luck in your choice. Mike
Mike, if you didn't pick up on it, I was just messing with my best friend. Obvious joke.
2013 Fuzion 310 Monster Package
vbortch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #16
mwhit

Did not know the connection, sorry for the serious note.
I guess it would not hurt a Harley anyway!!!!!!! lol
Sorry for that!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbortch View Post
Mike, if you didn't pick up on it, I was just messing with my best friend. Obvious joke.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #17
skidooxman

Thanks everyone, I have already made a trip from NY to LA on the bike, now I want to camp and bring the bike along with the family. Camping is a little cheaper then hotels and more relaxing. The condor was most expensive but seems to be the best non-fixed mount
skidooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #18
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Thanks everyone, I have already made a trip from NY to LA on the bike, now I want to camp and bring the bike along with the family. Camping is a little cheaper then hotels and more relaxing. The condor was most expensive but seems to be the best non-fixed mount
I will get a picture of my set up. Shop around as they are places that have them cheaper, but you will not find a better made chock. There was one chock mentioned that was around $259....way expensive for a steel chock.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #19
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Sorry about Pics but it is still raining here so I just took the pics in my shop. Do not use cheap straps like the red one in the pics. Get good quality heavy ones. The one on the left in the front shot came from Walmart and as you see is a 2 inch web with a double hook and a twist to help at attachment point.

Something to consider when pulling your bike down with straps. Make sure that you take enough of the suspension travel out to ensure that you do not get to much slack in your straps that they may come dislodged. With a Condor it is not that huge of a deal as the bike would stay pretty much upright for quite some time without anything holding it. That is one of the reasons I have blocks made for underneath mine. I only compress the suspension maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 inch and then the bikes come down solid on the blocks not allowing anymore suspension travel, plus my garage is packed. Especially when I get 3 bikes loaded in there.

So other then the 2 straps on the rear, the other front strap and my wood block, this is how my bikes roll in style.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0429.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	3885   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0430.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	3886  
Old 08-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
mwhit

Strap info

There are straps available with a safety latch the keep the s hook type hook from being able to unhook. These are the ticket to keep from unhooking as you snug up your bike with out completely compressing the suspension.
http://www.ratchetstraps.com/vinyl-s-hook-with-latch