Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
LouSlugger

First outing of the year, damage to truck, lesson learned

Arrived at campsite in Land Between the Lakes in Western Kentucky last week. Site I had reserved online appeared to be in a prime spot (according to the site map). What the map didn't show was a tree close to the left side of the site entrance and a drain culvert on either side. Bad news on opposite side of road as well (drainage ditch). And I had to back in to the spot. After multiple failed attempts, neighbor came over and talked me in. What I didn't realize at the time (I was focused on watching his commands as he stood in front of my truck) is that the RV tires on passenger side dipped down into culvert, causing the rig to lean at such an angle that it pressed down onto the rail of my truck bed on passenger side (in two places), causing the metal skin on outside of bed to bow out. Lesson: unless I have personally scouted the site in advance to make sure getting in and out will not be too difficult, I will reserve only pull-through sites. (None of those available at this campsite, though). I'm fairly new at this but it's not worth the stress (and expense) to gamble that there won't be obstacles like trees, ditches, etc. that can get a trip off to a bad start. Aside from that and the flash flooding that happened on day 3, it was a great start to the season!

2007 Fuzion 362 Toy Hauler
2009 Ford F250 Super Duty Lariat 6.4L twin turbo diesel
LouSlugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
gman1966347

Oh man!! Sorry to hear that buddy! You will have way better trips for sure!
gman1966347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:43 AM   #3
nano

Ugh, that sucks. I hope things improve!
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:31 AM   #4
Brantlaker

When I go to a new campground I Google map it and satellite view it and if i'm lucky they have a street view of it. Sorry about the damage to the truck Happy Camping.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:45 AM   #5
Bigsky3625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlaker View Post
When I go to a new campground I Google map it and satellite view it and if i'm lucky they have a street view of it. Sorry about the damage to the truck Happy Camping.
X2. Though the views can be older and not reflect current state. But at least you can also see what is in the local area to avoid getting a spot in an unfavorable location.
One Wife

Bigsky3625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
Rusty

Sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations.

Sure you can check out satellite images but a lot of those pictures are so old the sites could have changed drastically. I am sure you can still see satellite images of my backyard without a fence, although I put the fence in a few years ago!

2014 Dodge 3500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins, Exhaust Brake.

2013 Cougar High Country 315RES
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Sorry to hear that but hey, misery loves company so to help ease your pain .... I will share that our first trip out with our new 5th wheel, 2 years ago now, I impaled it on a huge tree limb. The park service had cut a huge branch off a rather large oak tree but it still stuck out into the roadway right on a turn which I took too close. It took me over an hour to untangle the trailer and tree. My sympathetic wife managed to convince me to remain at the campground for the planned stay and then I took it for repairs. $15,000 and 3 months in the shop later and all was new again.

Anyway, I think these kinds of things are bound to happen. Some worse than others. I hope your truck gets fixed good as new and at least all were safe.
2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC 4x4
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Poppy's 5th Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
DK Henry

Man sorry to hear about your trouble. Sometimes when someone is trying to help, we do tend to focus too much on them. It is also very frustrating to try a few times and not get in the spot. Were you at Hillman , Piney or the Canal? We live in Murray and keep our camper on KY Lake when we are not on the road. Man did we ever have the rain! The lake is four foot over summer pool so it is starting to get interesting. Just remember go slow and don’t do anything you’re not comfortable with. Most of all don’t worry about it. We have all caused some damage to our rv or tv.
DK Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
LouSlugger

We were at Piney. It was raining so hard as we broke camp that I had to change into a whole new set of clothes before driving off.
Lots of good sites but only about 8 with 50 amp service. Thanks for the good advice and sharing of pain. The dents in the truck don't bother me as much since the first one I made last season. Nothing major got broken so I'll count it as a victory.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
theeyres

After years of such woes I've learned a few things. First you do at times have to reserve sites unseen, that is just the way it is. Second, both my wife and I always scout the site before I ever start backing up. That includes both sides, the back, and UP. Boy have I forgotten UP and hit branches more than once!
Third, I never, never take directions from another person--they just don't do it the way I do. My wife always watches for me--doesn't do too much directing but is ready to yell STOP when I'm going the wrong direction or am getting ready to hit something.

Sorry for the mishap. My rails are a series of dents! That's camping and it's just a truck. LOL Just enjoy the experience and don't get to uptight as s...t always happens.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:35 AM   #11
crash

I too have dw watch and yell for me ,I know people mean well and all and they maybe come great friends in the end ,but when I am backing a $80,000 camper I dont listen to no strangers cause when its said in done they just say oh well and walk away and leave you with your screw up,jm2cents.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
LouSlugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
That's camping and it's just a truck. LOL Just enjoy the experience and don't get to uptight as s...t always happens.
Amen......

Old 04-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #13
CUFFS054

Crash, right you are sir! Plus you can throw it up to the wife every time she gets the upper hand in an argument.
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
BOBYT1630

Red face Camp site photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouSlugger View Post
Arrived at campsite in Land Between the Lakes in Western Kentucky last week. Site I had reserved online appeared to be in a prime spot (according to the site map). What the map didn't show was a tree close to the left side of the site entrance and a drain culvert on either side. Bad news on opposite side of road as well (drainage ditch). And I had to back in to the spot. After multiple failed attempts, neighbor came over and talked me in. What I didn't realize at the time (I was focused on watching his commands as he stood in front of my truck) is that the RV tires on passenger side dipped down into culvert, causing the rig to lean at such an angle that it pressed down onto the rail of my truck bed on passenger side (in two places), causing the metal skin on outside of bed to bow out. Lesson: unless I have personally scouted the site in advance to make sure getting in and out will not be too difficult, I will reserve only pull-through sites. (None of those available at this campsite, though). I'm fairly new at this but it's not worth the stress (and expense) to gamble that there won't be obstacles like trees, ditches, etc. that can get a trip off to a bad start. Aside from that and the flash flooding that happened on day 3, it was a great start to the season!
Check out the website campsitephotos.com, It may give you a better chance at seeing what your reserving.

Not sure if your campground is listed, but I have seen most of the sites I have reserved before reserving them.

Sorry about the truck, did anything happen to the trailer?

2006 Cougar 278EFS
BOBYT1630 is offline   Reply With Quote