Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
CWI

My warranty experience so far!

I purchase a 2012 395LEV Raptor last September from Walnut Creek RV in New Castle, IN.

My first issue was the rear gray water tank leaked where it had cracked next to the drain. This was just a couple months after buying. I had to tear the belly pan off to get to it but was able to patch the leak with ABS cement and it held for quite a while. A few weeks later, the front black water tank started leaking the first time I used the internal flush system. Next issue was this spring when the weather started getting warm it didn't seem like the main AC was cooling well.

I work in industrial construction so I am a full timer. When I was done working in Indiana in July and headed to Mississippi I had scheduled service at the dealer where I bought the trailer. They supplied a free night in the campground there and took the trailer into the shop about 9 am the next morning. 5 hours later, they called me to let me know they were done. This was a relief and thought it was good to have the problems behind me and also thought they did a quick job of it. I was WRONG, they said they tested the black water tank and it didn't leak. They said they tested the gray water tank and since it didn't leak there was nothing to do with it. It is leaking again now. They said they tested the AC and the pressure was good and it was pulling the proper amperage and it was working and cooling fine. None of this was true but I had to get down the road and they knew it.

Two nights later I stopped in Alabama to visit an old friend and he came to see my trailer and he used the toilet while there. This started another issue I hadn't mentioned here yet and the dealer in Indiana also said was not an issue. Apparently when he used the toilet the valve stuck open a bit as it had been doing, leaving the water running into the black water tank which of course had the drain closed. We went to his house to visit and BBQ and I got back to the RV park a couple hours later to find a pissed off park manager and water running from under the trailer and the belly pan on the ground. Thus proving the Original dealer had not properly tested the tank. At least it leaked out of the tank instead of flooding inside the coach.

Next day, I get to Meridian where my next job was located. I contacted Mr. Gary at Back Country RV in Meridian, MS. This guy is great. He got me in first thing the next morning and confirmed the tank had a split in the top of it. He ordered a new tank and had the AC in stock so we were going to reschedule when he got the tank. After not hearing anything for a couple weeks, I stopped by and he said he had received the tank the day before. By this time I was scheduled to leave town the next Wednesday, so I took the trailer to him on Tuesday at 7 am. He called me a couple hours later and said they were done. When I got there he said they had received the wrong tank from Keystone even though he had sent them the part number and photos. Now I didn't have time to wait for the right parts to get there so I still hadn't got anything fixed. Gary was awesomely nice and none of this was his fault.

I left the next day and am now in Lake Charles, LA. The one local Keystone dealer here does not work on equipment they didn't sell so I contacted Southern RV Superstore in Lafayette, 70 miles away. The best they could do is schedule me for October 22. After talking to Cory at Keystone C.S. a few times and talking to the dealer here, I have been able to get the RA numbers transferred and the parts ordered so they will be there and they should be able to fix everything in one visit. Only thing I still need to do is cut the belly pan again to get the number or dimensions of the gray water tank so they can order that. I will have to pay up front for the tank since the best Keystone could do was note that it has an issue so it will be covered on warranty which is now expired. The dealer can get an RA number when they look at it and then I can get reimbursed.

Keystone customer service has actually been great so far, I have no issue with them other than the tank mix up but that was a warehouse issue. I have had communications with the original dealer and their management stands by their service dept and deny that they lied to me. They blatantly lied, no question. They apparently just didn't want to do the work. Keystone said the only thing they could do is take a customer complaint about the dealership. Why bother I said? The public won't know about it and I get no benefit from it. Personally, I feel they owe me for the time and hassle but will never get a penny.

All I can do now is hope everything goes good in a few weeks and I can finally put this behind me. Sorry for the long story but I had to say it.

I am not disappointed with Keystone but Walnut Creek RV is extremely disappointing.
CWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
airforceret

If you are disappointed in the dealership, then you really should officially make your complaint to Keystone. If nobody lodges their complaints, then it gives the appearance that all is well. The public may not be aware of your complaint, but as with all things, when enough complaints are lodged to a manufacturer, they do take note of it. And if enough complaints are made, they do take action.
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

x2 Do not just let it slide. I would file a compliant.You are correct in that you won't get anything in return except knowing you did bring the problem to someones attention. hope all works out and you can just be about getting your work done. all the best.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
CWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
If you are disappointed in the dealership, then you really should officially make your complaint to Keystone. If nobody lodges their complaints, then it gives the appearance that all is well. The public may not be aware of your complaint, but as with all things, when enough complaints are lodged to a manufacturer, they do take note of it. And if enough complaints are made, they do take action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
x2 Do not just let it slide. I would file a compliant.You are correct in that you won't get anything in return except knowing you did bring the problem to someones attention. hope all works out and you can just be about getting your work done. all the best.
I don't disagree with either of you and thanks for the comments. At this point I am all about getting my issues with my trailer resolved. I have made my point very clear to the dealer to the point they no longer reply to my e-mails and I have voiced the issue to Keystone. Once my repairs are completed to my satisfaction I will make formal complaints.

As an industrial inspector, now working in the nuclear energy sector, I know when someone is neglecting their responsibilities. At this point I felt I had to air my frustration with this dealer.

When I know there are leaks and the AC isn't working correctly and another dealer I took it to confirms these problems, it's not hard to realize the original dealer just didn't want to do the work. That is unacceptable customer service and a very poor representation of the Keystone product.
CWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

I WISH YOU WELL and when it's done just think you can make that other dealer glow in the dark!!!!! ha ha. good luck hope it's done soon.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
Big old prankster

When I know there are leaks and the AC isn't working correctly and another dealer I took it to confirms these problems, it's not hard to realize the original dealer just didn't want to do the work. That is unacceptable customer service and a very poor representation of the Keystone product.[/QUOTE]

CWI - Are you talking about Walnut Ridge in New Castle, IN? If so here is the email address for the one of the owners. His name is Gary Hart. The other 2 owners are his sons. I would email him and let him know you are not satisfied with his customer service. I would hope he would address your situation.

I do not work for them. I purchased my trailer from them also. As it turned out Gary was my sales rep that worked with my wife and I. I have had a leak on my hot water heater and was unhappy with the way his service rep handled the situation. After contacting Gary directly, his service reps attitude changed dramatically. I have had no other problems with my trailer and have been receiving a follow call or email monthly seeing how we are liking the trailer and how much we have used it.

Walnut Ridge also offers a free classroom seesion once a month to educate people about the basics of RVing. The class covers generic info concerning many topics from types of sewer hose to types of hitches. It was very informative for my wife and I.

Please keep us posted as I am interested in hearing back from you if you have any other problems or if Gary assists in resolving your issues.

Chris and Carol
2013 Passport 2510RB
2000 F250 w/3.73 & Triton V10
Big old prankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
airforceret

Without a doubt there are some dealers who DO NOT like warranty work. I went round and round with Hart City in Elkhart years ago (hmmm they are out of business now)! They actually went so far as to tell me "I didn't spend enough (purchase price) on my trailer to get a place in their shop!" Needless to say I bypassed that person and went above them... and yes... they did manage to work me in!!! LOL

Good luck...
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #8
Barbell

We have a 2014 Montana purchased in May, 2013. After about 8000 miles, we have several warranty issues that, reading experiences with Keystone others have had, I am not feeling very comfortable. The sliding closet door in the bedroom is coming apart. The trailer has never moved without the door being locked closed. Yet, one side has come off the top rails several times and now the brackets are broken. Also, we never could get any tv reception from cable hookups. I at first thought it was just crummy campground hookups and we only used the antenna to watch over the air channels. Finally, at a campground in Southern Virginia, I complained to the host and he hooked his tv directly to their pedestal and had a perfect picture. When I ran my cable in a window and directly to the tv, so did I. The rig was purchased at Pete's RV in Indiana. They also have an outlet in Burlington, VT, but when we called them to see about service, they were much too busy with paying customers.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:26 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbell View Post
We have a 2014 Montana purchased in May, 2013. After about 8000 miles, we have several warranty issues that, reading experiences with Keystone others have had, I am not feeling very comfortable. The sliding closet door in the bedroom is coming apart. The trailer has never moved without the door being locked closed. Yet, one side has come off the top rails several times and now the brackets are broken. Also, we never could get any tv reception from cable hookups. I at first thought it was just crummy campground hookups and we only used the antenna to watch over the air channels. Finally, at a campground in Southern Virginia, I complained to the host and he hooked his tv directly to their pedestal and had a perfect picture. When I ran my cable in a window and directly to the tv, so did I. The rig was purchased at Pete's RV in Indiana. They also have an outlet in Burlington, VT, but when we called them to see about service, they were much too busy with paying customers.

Has Pete's RV told you they will not service your RV? or, have they said they would schedule it, but don't have any openings for service until <date> ?

It appears, from your post that you haven't taken your RV to a dealership for service, so you may want to make an appointment and take it in. Then, if they don't repair your warranty issues, complain, but, by all means, at least give them the opportunity. To "not feel very comfortable" with Keystone if you haven't made the RV available for service is not reasonable.

When you do take it in for service, don't expect the dealership (any dealership) to have a replacement closet door on hand to install in your RV. If it needs to be replaced, the dealership will have to order it. Delivery may take 6-8 weeks. If you aren't inclined to leave your RV with the dealer while they wait for the door to arrive, discuss with them to repair the other issues and then, to call you to come pick up your RV and that you will take it back to have the door replaced when they have the parts on hand. If you don't discuss this, the dealership may inspect your RV, order parts, park it on the back row until the parts arrive, then schedule it into the shop for service. That's the way RV dealerships think. So it's up to you to make other arrangements if you aren't satisfied with it being parked awaiting parts. And, NO, don't expect the dealership to order your door before they confirm that it needs to be replaced. Virtually no dealership will take a customer's word on what needs to be done unless the dealership can at least see the problem first to verify that the customer actually has a clue about the problem. Remember, there are people who own RV's and have absolutely no mechanical capability. The dealership doesn't know if you're a mechanical engineer or one of those who isn't sure which end of a screwdriver connects to the screw. They won't usually take your word for anything to do with "how to fix" your problem because they simply don't know if you know what you're talking about. It's not you, it's their "past experience" that drives this attitude.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #10
Barbell

The purpose in trying to get into Pete's in Vermont was to have them verify that there is a problem. Once they found out it was an warranty issue, they were too busy to schedule anything for the foreseeable future. We did not tell them that the unit came from their outlet in Indiana because they say any Keystone dealer will perform warranty service. Have no intention of leaving the trailer anywhere for an extended period. If we have to order parts, we will have them delivered to home base and get install done there.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Most dealerships will not do the work at "one place" and do the ordering at "another place" That becomes a "who gets paid" and "who does the work" event. Almost any dealership will do both (so they get the money) but very few will agree to "inspect and order parts for delivery to another dealership" because that almost always involves "not getting the money"

Pete's may do it at their "branch service center" but you're probably going to have to get management involved rather than the service advisor. You're talking about "corporate level decisions" not "wrench turner level decisions"

The service writer is probably not authorized to order parts for delivery to another facility. I'd expect you will be very frustrated if you try to do it that way. And, again, that's a Pete's RV issue, not a Keystone issue. Keystone, I'm sure, will provide parts and labor reimbursement to repair your RV' It doesn't matter to them which dealership they pay, but it does matter to the dealership that they get their money, so the dealership will be the obstacle you have to overcome.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote