Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Tim&Patty

Extended Warranties

Pretty sure the feelings of the group about purchasing extended warranties for the whole RV (over priced) but what about an extended warranty on the A/C and refrigerator? Just recieved mail on both from Dometic and they seem more than reasonable when compaired to replacement prices at CW that don't include labor and parts. I've got 30days and was just wondering the groups thoughts.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Tim & Patty (RHDW Red Head Dear Wife)
Riley (Monster Yorkie)

2011 High Country 291RLS, SteadyFast, XM Radio, Awning Sun Shade.

2011 Ford F-150 Platinum, 6.2L, Max Tow Package
Voliant Ram Air, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Hypertech Chip, On Board Lift Bags, Anzo Projector Headlights & LED Tailights, Pace Rolling Padded Hard Cover.
Reese 16K Slider
Tim&Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
f6bits

The fridge warranty is three years. I wouldn’t bother with an extended warranty beyond that. Especially if it’s the typical extended warranty with loopholes. I don’t know what the A/C warranty is, but if it’s more than a year, I wouldn’t get an extended warranty.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

The manufacturers' limited warranties on our Dometic Fridge and A/C are 3 years on parts and 2 years on labor. Like any limited warranty, you need to read the fine print to find out what parts are and are not covered and the other exclusions that are embedded in the warranty.
In general, fridges are pretty reliable and don't usually require a lot of high maintenance. In all the years that we have owned some kind of RV - more than I would like to count - I can't recall having a fridge pack it in. We have never made much use of our A/C so I can't comment about the reliablility of that feature although I suspect that they are similar to the fridge - a low maintenance item.
I think the same arguments would hold for getting an extended warranty on those two items you mentioned as for the entire RV. You know what they are so no sense in repeating them here.
Like the RV extended warranty, many people don't buy it, save and set aside the $$$ premium and use it - if you have to - to repair or replace anything that breaks down.
If, however, you would like to have peace-of-mind knowing that you are covered for a longer period of time, then it might be something to consider. Have you checked out the exclusions on an extended warranty for the fridge and the A/C??
Wouldn't be my choice, Tim but you still have 30 days to mull it over.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
allentx1

Not exactly what you asked but we bought the extended warranty on the whole RV. Turns out, like festus said, not much is really covered. We took it in for 5 things to get fixed and only ONE was covered. the rest I am doing myself. I'm now looking to cancel it.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2010 Ford F-250 6.4l Power Stroke 2wd
Pullrite auto-slider hitch
Austin Texas area
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Tim&Patty

Thanks for the info guys, funny thing the mail that came today is for the 2010 Bullet, not our High Country . We'll have to wait a couple years (not a month) and think about it then. Reading what they are offering seems OK, and what they are excluding I've got pretty much covered until I do something stupid again. Each year it seems like something happens that hasn't happened before and the start of every season I go "Just carefree camping" this year. Yeah right, last year the gate closed on me at the storage lot (tore of the front leg for the awning) got that fixed and on the last day of camping for the season a tree jumped out in of me and I tore the awning off completely.

As a side note Festus, you and the others mods do a great job with this forum. When people use the terms like "judge and jury" and "dictator", I get wound up, then I remember my first Chief "Opinons are like A$$ho1es, everybody has one and I'm the biggest you'll ever meet your WRONG, I just don't understand why people complain when they can vote with their feet.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim & Patty (RHDW Red Head Dear Wife)
Riley (Monster Yorkie)

2011 High Country 291RLS, SteadyFast, XM Radio, Awning Sun Shade.

2011 Ford F-150 Platinum, 6.2L, Max Tow Package
Voliant Ram Air, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Hypertech Chip, On Board Lift Bags, Anzo Projector Headlights & LED Tailights, Pace Rolling Padded Hard Cover.
Reese 16K Slider
Tim&Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
rojoslay

Extended Warranty

We bought the 5 year extended warranty at Windish RV for $1500.00. I was more concerned with the motors for the pop outs etc. Our warranty covers all electronics including the tv etc, plus entire camper. I did not want to get the extended but with my luck, rather be safe than sorry.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
therink

Most failures that I have heard or read about on rv appliances are due to lightning spikes or power surges. Most likely any extended warranty would not cover these claims.
My in laws had lightning fry both their fridge and ac while at a campground. I don't know how but their homeowners insurance replaced both less the deductible.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
aehjr

Extended Warranty Claim Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoslay View Post
We bought the 5 year extended warranty at Windish RV for $1500.00. I was more concerned with the motors for the pop outs etc. Our warranty covers all electronics including the tv etc, plus entire camper. I did not want to get the extended but with my luck, rather be safe than sorry.
Have you had to make a claim yet? What I am seeing in the various posts is that the warranties are not very valuable since there are so many exclusions. Wondering if you had to make a claim and if so, how did it work out?
2019 KTM Super Adventure R
aehjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
billstuart

We bought a service contract or extended warranty on our Alpine. A couple of trips ago our living room ceiling fan come up lame with a broke blade. Near as we could figure one of the slides, which are designed to clear the fan blades, must have hit it as the slide was coming in. It was broken smack in the middle and folded over on itself. The metal arm that connects the blade to the motor was also bent.

We took the rig in to the dealer and somwhat to my surprise, the repair was covered.
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Previous RV's:
1992 Prowler 35' Bunkhouse
1986 Fireball 30'
1978 Nomad 24'
1963 Kenskill 19.5'
1972 Dyna Cruiser Camper on '72 F-250
A Tent
billstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #10
Yosemitebob

In our last RV, we replaced the computer board in the refer twice, once at 3 years and agin, at 5 years, they are expensive. AC never failed, Oh, heater failed about 4 years in. That was about it. Never paid but 50.00 each time we had an item replaced.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote