Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
Mustange65

Audio/Visual Problem - where is my sound?

I am in the initial 90 day warranty period. My 2650BH is in the dealership bay. Can you help me with your input?
They tell me audio will not play through the flat panel internal speakers when playing a DVD. They say audio only will come from the TV internal speakers when a BROADCAST signal is used (antenna, cable). DVD audio is designed to only come from the built in speakers in the ceiling. Does this sound right? All flat panels in our home will produce audio from both sources - no problem.
The dealer is telling me that ALL RVs are designed this way.
The problem with us is that when we turn the tv toward the bedroom, we can't hear anything! When grandkids sleeping, we have to turn the volume down in the living room ceiling speakers, but then the AC runs and so we can't really hear the DVD audio. Even when AC is off and no company, we can't understand the audio being broadcast out in the living room very well.
Any help out there? Any solution to this?
Mustange65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
Kristi

Ours works the same way. DVDs and CDs play through the surround sound & antennae plays through the television. Hasn't really been an issue for us yet, but I was thinking of wiring some speakers to B output and installing them on the bedroom side of the entertainment console. Not sure yet how hard that will be. There has been several discussions about A,B, &C output in different models, & it seems like B is not hooked to any speakers in the 2650bh. Sorry I can't be more help.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
Mustange65

Thanks. Update: I talked to the dealer this evening. They called and talked to "the tech guy" at Keystone about this issue. He informed them that the A and C button turn on the interior and exterior speakers respectively. (I knew that, everyone does.) I asked could I buy a set of speakers for the bedroom and hook them to Button B output? She said that sounded logical for one thing - the tech told them there is no outlet at the back of the player. The B button is just for looks. When I get the trailer back to storage, I am going to pull it out and check.
Plan B. : If this is true, then in order to do it, I could buy a second DVD for the BR and hook it up directly to the TV. The forum is full of discussions about this issue and this was suggested by someone.
Plan C : Remove the factory unit and replace with an after market upgrade.
Bose? Hmmmm.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
trikerbob

I started checking this out but did not get totally finished. I did look at the back of the TV (television). There are audio 'in' cables going to the TV, but there are no audio 'out' cables going back to the stereo. I think that's right. If that is the case, then there won't be sound going back to the stereo, so only sound from the internal TV speakers. Feel free to double check me to see if I missed anything. If the TV has a headphone jack on it, you might be able to run an adapter back to the stereo that way, like an iPod or mp3 player. I need to do some further investigative research on that part.

See ya, Robert
trikerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
Terry W.

On ours A is one set of inside speakers, B is the second set of inside speaker, all in living area, C is outside speakers. Our TV stows in a pocket and speakers are on the bottom and sound goes down into pocket. We gat a sound bar and plug it into headset jack on tv. Our tv, dvd both play thru A,B & C speakers. There a is an audio out connection on tv going to stereo. Along with an audio out from DVD to tv for DVD sound then out thru sound bar. Guess I really confused you now
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
Mustange65

Hi, to all. Well, I'm gonna pull that radio out and check the outputs. My curiosity is now killing me. I think, at this time, there is an output for my B terminal and the audio wire should go to a soon-to-purchase speaker for bed room. Apparently, Keystone does not want to send a DVD audio signal to the TV's internal speaker - but does send to their own installed speakers. There must be some legal reason for it or their designers have some unusual, in this case, reason for having it this way. Maybe they don't want us to lay in bed watching DVDs when we should be up and camping? But if the signal is broadcasted, then it is OK to watch TV in the Bedroom? Sounds like a corporate decision that I remember well. Thanks, will let you know how this turns out.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Obviously, there is something about what has been described that I am not following. What you seem to be saying is that Keystone has purposely set out to design a system which allows audio to come from the TV's speaker system only when you are receiving signals from the antenna or campsite cable. In addition, the audio from a CD or DVD will only come through the external speakers and not through the TV speakers.

The way an RV TV system is hooked up may be different from our home system but when using our home system I can receive audio from the TV set on cable and by DVD's.

How are the two systems different? If you have the audio In/Out cables connected properly, then shouldn't you be able to get sound when playing a DVD through your TV set?

I can't see why Keystone purposely set out to design and implement a system that prevents you from having audio come out of your TV set if you are watching a DVD movie for example. There would be no "legal" reason for this to take place and I really can't see any sinister corporate plan that has been hatched to make you watch TV in a certain way.

On the few occasions that I watch TV when camping, I am either using the antenna or hooked up to campground cable. I get sound and am happy. If I insert a DVD or CD into the stereo system, I get sound. I am still happy. I never imagined that watching TV could be so complicated!
Old 09-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
Fixjet

After some detective work on mine and a buddies units here is what we found.

In the Television menu go to audio and turn off the TV speakers. This will turn on the audio out jacks on the TV. Typically you can only power the TV speakers or audio out jacks not both.

With the TV speakers off now select your A & B speakers on the stereo unit and either aux 1 or 2. ( The TV volume must still be up about mind range to power your audio out jacks ) You are now done with setup and everything plays over the house speakers. ( over air TV Dvd radio all of it ) Volume is controlled with the stereo remote.

This is how my Laredo and buddies Outback work. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Fixjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
trikerbob

Thanks, Terry. I'll have to look closer for the audio out. I didn't see it on the first inspection. We haven't even made our 2nd trip out yet, so we haven't had the TV on much. I don't watch TV here at home much,either, cause I consider it mostly junk. I have the patch cable for the headphone jack, so I'll look for that next. I can't listen to XM radio and watch TV at the same time anyway!!

Take care,all.

Robert
Old 09-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
trikerbob

Thanks, Fixjet, I'll try that, too.

Robert
Old 09-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
TandE

On my current one and last one the audio will only play off the speakers in the ceiling with a DVD and the audio will play through the tv with antenna.

It's not how keystone designed it it is how the DVD receiver is made. The only audio connections on the back of the stereo are audio inputs. The assemblers at keystone just write up the red and white to red and white. You can get the antenna signal to play through the ceiling speakers by switching the audio cables from the tv input to tv output and using the aux feature on the radio to get the antenna audio to play through it.

Unfortunately the DVD stereo system doesn't have rca audio outs to connect to the tv but you can most likely get a high level to low level converter (speaker wire to rca output) and connect it to the spare a b or c output of the radio and then use rca to the tv to get sound through it. And yes your unit does have three sets of output speaker wires behind the DVD player.

The hard part its getting the rca to the tv without seeing the wires depending on how far they have to run through the wall our whatever.

Sorry if this is confusing I have been keeping Mr Jack Daniels company this afternoon but I used to install car audio and all this is the same. If you have any questions just ask and I will respond tomorrow when Jack has left
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
trikerbob

OK, here's what I found on my set up (195RB). Bad news first. I only have 4 speakers hooked up. Two inside-channel A, and 2 outside-channel C. I do have an audio out on the TV, but no place to plug into the stereo. I can, however, use the cord for XM radio/mp3 player to plug into the headphone jack and the aux input on the stereo. That works good. I'm looking over my wiring diagram now, and you can bet there WILL be some speakers going on channel B for the front bedroom area. I'm going to check the DVD player out a little more and make sure how that's going to work. I just thought of an idea on my audio cord, so I'll check that out, also.

Take care, Robert
Old 09-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #13
TandE

I'm not sure on your radio trikerbob but on my last two trailers the rca connections in the back of it are audio INPUT (l and r) and video output. When the techs assemble the wiring they just connect it like a normal home DVD player and put the audio on the same input as the video on the tv where as it should be connected to the audio out on the tv. This is on a Jensen stereo.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
trikerbob

Here's what I found looking at it again. The cables into the TV are input only. I have a singular digital audio out separate from the other cables. I believe you are right that the white/red audio cables from the stereo could indeed be audio in. But there are no audio white/red out from the TV. They have the white/red cables going to the TV audio in, which makes no sense at all. The only way I can see, so far, to hear TV through the stereo is to use my aux in cable from the headphone jack like I do my mp3 player. The DVD player works jam up once you get all the right input/output buttons pushed. But I'm not through yet--I've got more checking out and reading to do.

Thanks, TandE.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
Outbackmel

Here's an EZ Fix

When we had a 31 ft BH Hornet TT with MBR in the front, I went to a local BIG BOX store of electronics. For around $35 bought a portable speaker set that works off a built in recharge system for the remote that came with it. Speakers were placed in MBR on night stand. Could watch the front TV easily from bed at any volume we chose. No sound was in the main cabin. Charge lasted many hours of enjoyable TV. In our 5er, we have TV's "everywhere" (except the bathroom) so no issues.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #16
Terry W.

OK just went out and played with stereo. A is front speakers in living area, B is rear in living area and C is outside. Stereo, TV and DVD play thru all speakers. Set stereo to Aux 2 & TV plays thru all. Play a DVD is comes out all speakers & TV. The sound bar I added is pluged into the red/white on back of TV. DVD and TV all play thru sound bar. The only thing I did was add the sound bar because the TV travels in a recessed packet and the TV speaker sen the sound down into pocket not into iving area. I guess ours was bukit aon an good day.
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #17
jps

My DW and I have a 2014 Passport 2650BH. The stereo/DVD unit is an iRV EX6500DVD. Ours outputs DVD sound to the TV speakers by choosing the B speakers. Once chosen we have to increase the volume on the iRV unit. After doing this, we can then increase the volume on the tv and listen to DVDs through the tv speaker. This took a lot of trial and error to figure this out. The documentation for the iRV unit is terrible. As most everyone else has found out, there is not any help from internet searches either.
jps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
trikerbob

Spent the day going over the TV/stereo again. Installed 2 speakers on the 'B' channel, so now we have 4 inside speakers, and Wow!, does it sound better!!! But for sure, there are no output jacks for TV sound to go back to the stereo. For me to have TV thru the stereo, I have to use the headphone jack on the TV and use the Aux in on the stereo, just like it was an iPod or mp3 player. The DVD automatically plays thru the stereo. I double checked with a Stevie Ray Vaughn/Albert King DVD I got thru PBS, and it sounds great. I think I might just figure this thing out yet!!

Take care, y'all.

Robert
Old 06-04-2022, 11:56 AM   #19
WHITNEY

Avc cords

The cords for audio video coming out of the wall what are they connected to?
WHITNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 12:23 PM   #20
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITNEY View Post
The cords for audio video coming out of the wall what are they connected to?
Whitney, Welcome to the forum. The thread that you posted to is over eight years old. If you would like some help from our members you will have to be more specific and also give year and model of your trailer.
For best results try starting a new thread in the "TECHNICAL" Forum https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...splay.php?f=67
Good luck, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote