Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
SmittysRV

Front AC noise

Hello. We were out camping this weekend and yes, it was HOT! We were running both AC units on our Raptor 4014 and it was doing a great job at keeping the place cool.. On the third day I noticed the front AC making a whining sound. I removed the inside panel and could manually spin the fan with my hand and hear the sound. It seems that something is interfering with the fan and its rubbin on it causing the whine/whistle sound. Is there anyone else that has experiences this and or k ows the fix. Thx.

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
IdahoSRT10

The cooling coil may have iced-up...caused by low freon charge or too low of fan speed. If you have a 2 speed fan try using the high speed only under heavy use.

Restart the unit after an hour of down time and see if the noise is still there. (that will give a chance for the ice to melt)
08 Viper SRT-10 Coupe
10' Cyclone enclosed car hauler
IdahoSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
The cooling coil may have iced-up...caused by low freon charge or too low of fan speed.

Restart the unit after an hour of down time and see if the noise is still there.
thx! I will try that later today!! I hope its that easy.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
enyapp

I am experiencing a similar noise coming from my unti as well (2013 Premier). I am pretty sure it is not the coil icing up. It is intermittant, I've noticed if I put a little pressure on the corner (nearest to the fan) of the faceplate that holds the filter in place the noise stops. I think it might be duct tape or insullation flapping or touching the fan. Anyone have experience opening up the AC?
enyapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
SmittysRV

I took the AC apart and it turns out the foil like material that lines the foam in the air channel is coming loose. I was able to remove the top of the AC and access it from the roof. I hit the foam with some 3M spray adhesive and laid the foil back down. Ill post up pics shortly. Seems to be working good now...

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
SmittysRV

here is what i found when i took the AC apart from the top.

You can see the foil like material loose within the air route that was touching the fan causing the noise.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
PND

Gotta love "quality control"!!!! Looks like the AC manufacture may be to blame on this one. It must have been a monday build or "the morning after the night before". Can you fix it or have to replace it? (the part - not the whole unit)

PND
PND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
SmittysRV

I just hit it with some 3M spray adhesive. Ill post up after a few test runs to see how it holds on. Here it is going back together. Thx!!

Old 07-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
enyapp

Glad you found the culprit. Yours appears to be a different model than mine based on the type of fan. Maybe I'll try opening mine up from the top to see if I can access the fan compartment.
enyapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyapp View Post
Glad you found the culprit. Yours appears to be a different model than mine based on the type of fan. Maybe I'll try opening mine up from the top to see if I can access the fan compartment.
this is the front AC unit in the bedroom. The back unit looks different (larger), not sure how that one comes apart. Lemme know what ya find..
Old 08-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
SmittysRV

Well we just got back, the front AC ran like a champ!!!

Old 08-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
Cyncwby

thanks for posting that fix, good to know what they look like inside and a possible cure if something go's wrong.
Cyncwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #13
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyncwby View Post
thanks for posting that fix, good to know what they look like inside and a possible cure if something go's wrong.
Ya, I couldn’t find any other Threads that were the same so I figured I better post it up. Its a pretty easy fix once you get the thing apart. Taking off the main plastic cover is super easy but then you have to take apart the inner compartment where the "hamster wheel" fan is located. You have to remove lots of foil tape and lots of screws. Some of the screws required me to move the radiator type deal (Unknown proper name). Once the screws and foil tape are all removed the top lifts right off exposing the area where the air flows into the coach. The “Hamster wheel” is mounted and attached to the bottom of the little fan you can see in the pics. The foil like liner seemed to re attach pretty good with the 3M spray. Luckily I had some foil tape for the final re assembly as I think it helps seal the compartment. We ran the AC a lot this last trip and it is still holding strong. I will attach a few more pics I took during the fix.