Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #1
DannyM

Connecting outdoor camp stove to Gas Line

I have a 2021 Keystone Outback 330RL that I am just breaking in. It has the outdoor kitchen with 2 burner gas stove that was not connected from the factory. Gas line is capped and in place. I'm surprised they don't have a predrilled hole in which to thread the stove line through. I'm prepared to drill the hole but I wanted to get feedback on the best way to do it. Any thoughts are appreciated.
DannyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 01:46 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It’s normal for there to be a quick connect on the frame just below the O/S kitchen. There should be a gas hose you connect to that fitting. Is yours not there?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 02:16 PM   #3
DannyM

Thanks chuck. I guess I'll start drilling a hole from below and hopefully the hose will give me enough slack to pull the stove drawer all the way out.
Old 04-24-2021, 02:34 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

Is your outdoor kitchen on a slideout?
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 03:31 PM   #5
DannyM

Yes it is Bulldog.
Old 04-24-2021, 03:32 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

The hose is intended to reach while the kitchen is slid out. You shouldn’t have to drill any holes. Just disconnect to close it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-24-2021, 04:07 PM   #7
DannyM

Thanks chuck. The stove in in a drawer that pulls out from the slide out. I'll look at it further but it doesn't make sense you would have to disconnect the gas line every time you wanted to close the drawer and close the outside of the kitchen door. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-24-2021, 04:30 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyM View Post
Thanks chuck. The stove in in a drawer that pulls out from the slide out. I'll look at it further but it doesn't make sense you would have to disconnect the gas line every time you wanted to close the drawer and close the outside of the kitchen door. Thanks for your help.
Lots of things don’t make sense when it comes to RV’s

Old 04-24-2021, 04:37 PM   #9
NH_Bulldog

Danny, on mine a large drawer with sink and stove pulls out from the camper. My quick connect gas hose drops out and I reach under the camper to plug it in. If I want to close the compartment, I have to disconnect the gas line and remove the water spout in order to slide the drawer in and close the door. Don’t ever underestimate the stupidity of the people who design these things.

With your whole outdoor kitchen being on a slideout, I can see 3 basic options for your gas connection: 1) the stove is connected inside the small compartment it slides in and out of and stays connected all the time. 2) the gas connection is on the underside of the trailer slideout and you pull a short length of hose from the stove and lean down and connect it underneath. 3) you have a VERY long hose for that 2 burner stove and connect it all the way underneath the main camper.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
Old 04-24-2021, 04:38 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
On our outdoor kitchen thye stove pivots out from under the sink and countertop. A hose withy quick connects must be connected to the stove from the outside under the trailer. I think they did this so there would not be a flexible LP line on the interior of the trailer. Yes, it's a PIA to connect disconnect every time you close the kitchen but I can understand why.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 05:07 PM   #11
NH_Bulldog

This is my setup. I installed a QC “Y” so I can run my stove and Nexgrill at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4E5B923D-17AF-4A73-B2E2-F234443279E2.jpeg
Views:	304
Size:	517.9 KB
ID:	33165  
Old 04-24-2021, 05:50 PM   #12
B-O-B'03

The stove in our outdoor kitchen connected to a QC under the frame.

I added a "T" and a second QC so I could also connect my Weber Q to the camper gas system.

I got tired of the hassle of fishing out the cook-top hose and connecting it to the QC connector so I put an MIP "T" in the gas line to the furnace and connected the outdoor cook-top to that with a 3/8 flare to 3/8 flare hose.

Now I have 2 QC connectors outside to hook the Weber Q and my Blackstone fire-pit to.

-Brian
Old 04-25-2021, 04:11 PM   #13
DannyM

You guys are a wealth of information. I can now see how this hooks up and more importantly, the rationale. A QC connector for propane partially inside your rig via slide is likely not the safest. I certainly wouldn't want my stove or furnace hooked up with QC. Thanks again for all your feedback and suggestions.
Old 05-02-2021, 12:45 PM   #14
Old_Stevenick

I just bought a 1650EX Crossfire Bullet Hybrid.

Does anyone know if it has a quick disconnect propane under it or do I have to run a line to one of the tanks on the front to use a bbq?
Old_Stevenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:40 PM   #15
NH_Bulldog

Unless you have an outdoor kitchen or a mount for a grill/stove on the outside, not likely.

Look for the gas line on the underside of the camper and see if it terminates with a QC fitting and yellow rubber plug.

Mine is just a tee off the main line after the stove, fridge and furnace and before the water heater
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5AECDF28-CA6D-4AA5-9D8F-43A7254F2798.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	33319  
Old 05-09-2021, 01:11 PM   #16
rlh1957

Should have a quick disconnect under the frame with a shutoff valve near slide out kitchen. They should have provided the hose that attaches to the burner/grill when it’s pulled out.
You then drop the hose out and down the back to connect underneath.
Yes the hose comes with the camper just like the power cord.

No hole below the grill/burner because they intend for you to disconnect hose when you slide grill in and close kitchen.

Be sure quick connect fitting on hose securely clicks into place. Can’t connect or disconnect unless shut off by connector is off.

Sorry your PDI at dealer didn’t make certain you knew where things were and how to operate.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:51 PM   #17
Camping family

Quote:
It may not make sense but that’s how they are made. I have a outside kitchen that is in a slide and I have to connect the hose every time in order to use the grill and then disconnect it when the slide goes back in. All the ones I have seen are the same. That’s why they use a quick connect.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:29 PM   #18
rlh1957

As said “lots of things in RV design don’t make sense.

It is a safety precaution, err manf being proactive against future lawsuits.
Having a flexible rubber Gas line could rub or crack creating potential unsafe condition!
And do you actually think the RV industry would invest in steel-flex gas lines and fittings? Nope.

They do the easy way, no legal issues and have a quick disconnect and temporary gas hose.

Now that it’s yours, yes you can re-design a permanent plumbed solution.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:30 AM   #19
DannyM

Thanks rlh & Camping Fam. The stove did come with the hose but is was 4 inches short of reaching the gas line. Six foot QC extension hose solved the problem and will also be useful for a small gas grill should I need one of those. Thanks for the education guys.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:10 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks rlh & Camping Fam. The stove did come with the hose but is was 4 inches short of reaching the gas line. Six foot QC extension hose solved the problem and will also be useful for a small gas grill should I need one of those. Thanks for the education guys.
If the flex gas line was too short, and your trailer is new, I'd stop by the dealership with the gas line and request they change it out for a longer one... Even if you don't need it now, if the one you bought fails or is damaged, you'll have a spare. Someone on the assembly line may have tossed in the wrong hose or someone at the dealership may have "tossed in a hose for one that was missing" and grabbed the wrong one....

No need for you to have to pay for a replacement, especially with all the profit we all know your dealer made when you bought the trailer.... Let them absorb the cost of the hose, not you.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas