Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2021, 07:29 PM   #1
BookPaul74

The “alarm” on the LP Regulator

Question. It’s new to me but at different times and it seems to do it when I’m on the bottom closest to the regulator. It’s this low sound that somewhat sounds like the dive alarm on submarines. I don’t notice it when it’s on the other tank. It stops when there’s nothing using propane. So if the refrigerator or water heater is on its making the sound. Or when the stove top or oven is on.

The first time I had to stick my head into the compartment to figure out where it was coming from.
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:45 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

It would be helpful if you put your trailer year, model etc. in your signature along with your TV. Makes trying to answer questions MUCH easier.

Looks like you have a 5th wheel. Probably has the "Fairview" cheap regulators. I figure that's what you're hearing. Just replace them with quality units; I use Marshall Excelsior. You should have a two stage (the big one with indicator) and a high pressure unit (on the off side). I've replaced them on my last 2 trailers - no more droning.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:40 PM   #3
bobbecky

I've experienced that whistle from the regulators on our rig, even on a BBQ grill, and it seems to have eventually gone away after a time and doesn't seem to cause any problems. If you can isolate the noise to one of the regulators and want to, just replace the regulator that makes the noise.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:02 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

There are no "alarms" on those regulators. What you are hearing is a vibration caused by the regulator internal spring and diaphragm that modulates the gas pressure. It won't hurt anything but if it's annoying then replace the regulator, they are jot serviceable.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:50 AM   #5
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
It would be helpful if you put your trailer year, model etc. in your signature along with your TV. Makes trying to answer questions MUCH easier.

Looks like you have a 5th wheel. Probably has the "Fairview" cheap regulators. I figure that's what you're hearing. Just replace them with quality units; I use Marshall Excelsior. You should have a two stage (the big one with indicator) and a high pressure unit (on the off side). I've replaced them on my last 2 trailers - no more droning.
I have my signature on but for some reason when I post on my iPhone it doesn’t show.

That’s what I was thinking. I had a fifth wheel that built up so much of the oily buildup that it stopped flowing.

Thank something to do when I get home.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:56 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookPaul74 View Post
I have my signature on but for some reason when I post on my iPhone it doesn’t show.
When you log in, go to the bottom of the page left side, and tap on “view full web site” ( or something like that) I had the same problem

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:00 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

That’s what I was thinking. I had a fifth wheel that built up so much of the oily buildup that it stopped flowing.

Thank something to do when I get home.

Yep, they do collect that nasty oil. Pulled the high pressure off this one while in FL and thought I would keep it as a spare (worked OK just made noise). That oil stinks to high heaven and after I cleaned it off as best I could so did I. I let it sit on a table outside the RV for over 2 months letting the stench die down before I put it in my spare box.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:55 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

The "odorant" added is "Mercaptan". It's an oily, foul smelling substance that's used in both natural gas and in propane. Over time, some can settle out of the propane and build up in the bottom of propane tanks. As it flows through the regulators, under the right conditions, it can coat the regulator "internals" and cause them to "vibrate or to even fail".

I don't know of any way an RV owner can "clean the mercaptan residue" out of the regulators or the propane tanks. A "propane company or distributor" should have a repair/service shop that can clean the tanks if there is a problem with them, but when it comes to the regulators, it's probably cheaper to replace them than to pay someone to service them... I suppose regulators have become "one more item on the dispose/don't fix list"....

On a fifth wheel with tanks on opposite sides of the trailer, the "off side tank" will have a 30PSI stepdown regulator and the "primary side tank" will have the primary regulator that further reduces propane pressure to 11"WC which is about 0.37-0.4 PSI.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:23 PM   #9
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The "odorant" added is "Mercaptan". It's an oily, foul smelling substance that's used in both natural gas and in propane. Over time, some can settle out of the propane and build up in the bottom of propane tanks. As it flows through the regulators, under the right conditions, it can coat the regulator "internals" and cause them to "vibrate or to even fail".

I don't know of any way an RV owner can "clean the mercaptan residue" out of the regulators or the propane tanks. A "propane company or distributor" should have a repair/service shop that can clean the tanks if there is a problem with them, but when it comes to the regulators, it's probably cheaper to replace them than to pay someone to service them... I suppose regulators have become "one more item on the dispose/don't fix list"....

On a fifth wheel with tanks on opposite sides of the trailer, the "off side tank" will have a 30PSI stepdown regulator and the "primary side tank" will have the primary regulator that further reduces propane pressure to 11"WC which is about 0.37-0.4 PSI.
Thanks for the information on the step down regulator, was wondering what that was. After the problem on my Alfa I replaced it to finish out the trip and before the next trip bought a second one for backup. I lived in it at an RV park when I wasn’t traveling.

I will do wiring hot but propane scares my so I’ll just replace and not try to clean it.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:29 PM   #10
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
When you log in, go to the bottom of the page left side, and tap on “view full web site” ( or something like that) I had the same problem
Test
Test
Summer-Nebraska Winter-Arizona area
Old 04-22-2021, 12:29 PM   #11
BookPaul74

That worked but the display is small.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:09 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
That worked but the display is small.
It looks like the same size type as mine.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:13 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the information on the step down regulator, was wondering what that was. After the problem on my Alfa I replaced it to finish out the trip and before the next trip bought a second one for backup. I lived in it at an RV park when I wasn’t traveling.

I will do wiring hot but propane scares my so I’ll just replace and not try to clean it.

Here's a link to the Marshall Excelsior line of regulators. Some good info there on the products.

https://www.marshallexcelsior.com/si...log_2020_0.pdf

The off side high pressure regulator reduces the LP tank pressure to 30psi (limit for the cross pipe) and then goes to the dual stage auto changeover regulator for further pressure reduction. I've had several Fairview failures, none with the Marshall Excelsior.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:34 PM   #14
BookPaul74

I should have said the page. Instead of just the column it shows the whole web page.

Quote:
It looks like the same size type as mine.
I should have said column, it shows the whole web page
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	893BB33A-A692-4B2D-8D0B-9D4D6F060DF2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	33128   Click image for larger version

Name:	EBEBBF11-8C29-43EA-8396-99D987D98E51.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	33129  
Old 04-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

I just move the screen around so my signature shows up without editing. I’m using an 12Pro Max so the screen is decent sized.

Old 04-22-2021, 03:45 PM   #16
BookPaul74

Quote:
I just move the screen around so my signature shows up without editing. I’m using an 12Pro Max so the screen is decent sized.
iPhone 7 Max 256G. It’s still working so maybe some day. 😁