Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2021, 03:03 PM   #21
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Clark View Post
I would like to test the electric brakes on my RV without connecting to the TV.

Background: 2018 Carbon 357 toy hauler and a 2015 Ram 3500 dually.
TV has started displaying "Check electronic brake system" message occasionally on 1st start of the day. Message goes away in about 15 seconds. No stored messages, no other problems and seems like everything is still working. I have a dealer appointment next week.
Trailer has new tires and I recently completed repacking wheels bearings. I saw no visual problems with the brakes at that time.

I hooked up to the TV yesterday and even though the error message did not show up on the trucks dash, the trailer brakes are not working.

So, how can I test the operation of the RV brakes without hooking up to the TV? I'm trying to eliminate hidden problems there.

Thanks.
Before you take it to the dealer which could prove to be very expensive , I would go over the basics... Is your brake fluid low? Brake pads worn? . Bad abs sensor? Couldn’t hurt to just do a brake job if your due for one anyway..the dealer would charge you a fortune for that...anyway ..good luck
Old 04-12-2021, 03:51 PM   #22
LHaven

Quote:
And, the message really does say " Check Electronic Brake System". That message and a ton of others are listed in the owners manual. Just don't ask me where because the manual is so complicated it's difficult to find most anything in it!
You know, after seeing a recent response and realizing that people are reading your problem differently, I went back and checked the thread, and couldn't find anywhere where you actually stated whether you were seeing the message ONLY when you had the trailer hooked up, or whether you were also seeing it when the TV wasn't hooked to anything.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:56 AM   #23
MN-Clark

I have checked several things on the TV but probably should have the batteries tested too.

To answer the question, the only time the message appears is at start up and so far, only when the trailer is not hooked up.
MN-Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:22 AM   #24
jasin1

Quote:
I have checked several things on the TV but probably should have the batteries tested too.

To answer the question, the only time the message appears is at start up and so far, only when the trailer is not hooked up.
Battery’s might make sense as that’s the most draw on the battery’s ..first startup of the day. Especially if it’s colder
Old 04-13-2021, 07:05 AM   #25
Javi

Just a WAG but.. it could be a failing wheel speed sensor..
Old 04-14-2021, 11:05 AM   #26
LHaven

Quote:
That's actually good news, as you don't have to complicate the troubleshooting by including the trailer.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:59 PM   #27
MN-Clark

Well, well, well . . . Some good news.

Service technician at dealership says both batteries are now at end of life. They pulled both and ran them thru their testing machine. Plus, the tech says that the messages I've seen are one of several that can show up with low voltage. No explanation why the truck doesn't just show me a low battery warning. I provided a 40 second video of the dash durning start up this morning when the message showed up. They appricated that.

So tomorrow I'm off on a mission. To find two, new batteries.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:35 PM   #28
jasin1

Quote:

Service technician at dealership says both batteries are now at end of life. They pulled both and ran them thru their testing machine. Plus, the tech says that the messages I've seen are one of several that can show up with low voltage. No explanation why the truck doesn't just show me a low battery warning. I provided a 40 second video of the dash durning start up this morning when the message showed up. They appricated that.

It’s always nice when things work out like that... would have been a nightmare if it was one of those glitches that happens intermittently and they can’t find anything wrong.. glad to hear, I think there was a thread on TV batteries recently and recommendations
Old 04-15-2021, 06:55 AM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Just curious, did you ask the dealer for their price on the batteries? The Ford dealer I use will match or beat any local price on tires and batteries. That doesn't matter if you want to change brands of course but if they had them out I would have had them replace them if nothing else just to save the time and hassel of pulling them out again, taking them to NAPA or wherever. Even worse if you buy new batteries, pay a core charge, replace then return to turn the old batteries in and get the core many back. But tht'd just me. YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:24 AM   #30
bbells

Many new trucks have separate fuses for the trailer connector. Make sure your fuses in the truck are ok and not missing.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:38 AM   #31
Philip

Brakes

Not that this is a fix, but I bypassed the factory brake controller in my 2015 Ram. Simply unplugged the factory controller form the harness and purchased the vehicle specific one for brake controller. Brakes are much stronger than with the factory unit, but a bit more jerky.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:30 AM   #32
MN-Clark

To answer the questions . . .

The dealer wanted $220 plus installation charge, each. I didn't ask what name was on the batteries. They charged me $110 for the diagnostics on the truck and for testing both batteries. Gladly paid that for the piece of mind.

I checked all the trucks fuses early on. Just forgot to mention that.

I'll stick with the factory controller. It has worked well for me. Also seems to work well with the trucks tow/haul mode. Engine parameters and transmission shifting changed. More positive, quicker shifts to reduce transmission heat buildup. That I particularly like.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:47 AM   #33
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
To answer the questions . . .

The dealer wanted $220 plus installation charge, each. I didn't ask what name was on the batteries. They charged me $110 for the diagnostics on the truck and for testing both batteries. Gladly paid that for the piece of mind.

I checked all the trucks fuses early on. Just forgot to mention that.

I'll stick with the factory controller. It has worked well for me. Also seems to work well with the trucks tow/haul mode. Engine parameters and transmission shifting changed. More positive, quicker shifts to reduce transmission heat buildup. That I particularly like.
If they"pulled the batteries" as you earlier said than replacing them shouldn't incurre more labor.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes