Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
stevemac

new style steps

has anyone installed the new fold up steps on a 2013 outback 298re. they are the steps you see on all the new RVs
stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If your talking about “solid steps”, I would make sure you really want them before installing them. There are at least 2 different brands and I can’t say one is superior to the other. JMHO but I wouldn’t put them on.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:26 AM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If your talking about “solid steps”, I would make sure you really want them before installing them. There are at least 2 different brands and I can’t say one is superior to the other. JMHO but I wouldn’t put them on.
I think he's talking about these...
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #4
notanlines

Or like these?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	111965_2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	29865  
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:50 PM   #5
LewisB

Our 2018 Raptor came with the main (forward) steps as shown by Jim (notanlines); ours are the "MORride Step Above". I really DISlike these steps. Yes, they are very nice and solid to step on once down and adjusted. If you stay parked in an RV site, they are nice. If you travel with these, they are a PAIN. Here's what I don't like;
  1. They have to be adjusted every time you stop and need to use these while out on the road. If they are too short, you will bend the brackets - if they are too long, the door won't close. If the ground is uneven, you may need different lengths for each leg.
  2. So, stop for lunch - adjust the steps. Stop for potty - adjust the steps - get a cold drink? - adjust the steps - etc. Adjustment is easy, but you have to let them down, check the "fit", raise them up and extend or retract each side leg to get the right length. I always end up doing this at least twice each stop.
  3. They swing out really wide (measure the hypotenuse of the right triangle) every time you "fold" them. Once in a rest stop, a trucker pulled in close to us and we almost had to have DW hold the steps off the ground while I pulled the rig forward to get free space to raise the steps up. (I think he may have done it on purpose). In a storage lot or other area where people purposely park really close, these steps may not even be usable.
  4. Since they store inside your camper, every time you fold them, you have to brush them thoroughly or you dump dirt & rocks into your rig.
  5. Last (most important), the bracket for these steps set under your closed door. If you ever leave the door closed and use your hydraulic leveling system, you stand a chance of destroying either the steps or your main entry door. (Check out the attached warning that came with mine.)
1543339434-RV Step Tip_v3.pdf

I definitely don't recommend these steps. The ones shown in Javi's post might be much better!
JMHO
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:07 AM   #6
dljs1941

Ditto to what LewisB states. I would add one more:
6. Pins used to set leg adjustments are a PITA. They have a small ball bearing at one end (presumably to avoid them falling off, or just to terrorize the owner). I have stopped using them and just let the legs sort of "auto set". Works for the most part. Otherwise have a pair of plyers handy to pull the pins out.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:27 AM   #7
Canonman

We installed these self storing step braces: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-Se...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
And while not perfect, they are easy to use when you want to or leave tucked up under the bottom step if you don't. Generally if we're just stopping for a break or overnight, we leave them stored. If we're staying a few nights we'll set these up. They work pretty well to stabilize the steps and minimize bounce. DW likes them and feels more confident using the steps when they are more stable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	untitled-8112.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	29986  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:47 PM   #8
Bill-2020

I installed their quick connect version - connect/attach to the side under the door when situated at the campsite with bolted-on brackets, they are solid and also creates one extra step for the DW to use so she's not having to step up so high (big time points there, boys). When we leave, I pull them off the brackets and toss them in the pass through. While traveling, the usual OEM folding steps are still there for all those times you need to get in and out quickly for stops and such. Problem solved. One of the best investments on this TT.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2057.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	29997  
Old 09-24-2020, 07:15 PM   #9
Carl n Susan

Take a hard look at the Glowstep Revolution steps (pictured in Javi's post). The best change I ever made.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:17 AM   #10
dblanch57

I installed the glow step revolution on my trailer. Easy bolt on where old steps where (measure twice before ordering). I rarely have to adjust the steps and they are solid and fold up on the outside of the camper and don't mess with the door. I highly recommend them, they are pricey, but wife is happy!

2020 Ford F250 Crewcab 4x4 6.2L
2017 Passport Elite 31RE
DW & Me
<+><
dblanch57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:45 PM   #11
Philipclopez
Gone Traveling

MOR/Ryde step is great for an RV. Our steps no longer feel like a trailer-side diving board. Very solid. The angle of the steps is much less steep and easier to go up or down than original steps; if you have knee problems these steps are much better. Very easy to lower for use, or raise up for travel.
Philipclopez is offline   Reply With Quote