Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2019, 06:43 AM   #21
mikz86ta

#7. Trim above our main slide covers the chain, cable and motors for the slide-out. 2 side peices are mounted to the slide. 1 center peice Bridges and screws to the 2 side peices. That center has 1 screw each side to hold it to the 2 side trims. One side, tho had screw, was loose. Found out they stripped the wood out behind it not once, but a few tries. It was flopping when I moved the slide in or out.
Had to fix it myself.

Again, time to do it right meant more money spent on labor. Equals less profit. If it 'looks' passable, then ok to them
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #22
travelin texans

It also about the employees as well, most of which aren't the sharpest pencil in the drawer! They have a quota of x number of units completed out the door daily, once that quotas met they go home, they're done for the day, most of the factories we've toured that was before noon. If you pull out a drawer or remove a panel you'll also find that if they drop something it stays, screws, wood cut outs, pieces of wiring, my friend found a Dewalt 18v drill in the underbelly. So it's human nature to rush through so we can get out of here.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #23
Dale Allen

Thanks It is in the shop for warranty work now and installing slide toppers..I don't mind fixing stuff just thought for the money Keystone would be a better quality..
Dale Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #24
Dale Allen

Disappointed in KEYSTONE Quality

[QUOTE=Dale Allen;344439]Thanks It is in the shop for warranty work now and installing slide toppers..I don't mind fixing stuff just thought for the money Keystone would be a better quality..
I was expecting a little more for the money
Dale Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:35 PM   #25
cookinwitdiesel

Beaver did have gorgeous cabinets back in the day. We had a 2003 Marquis in high school and the cabinetry in that would put a $2m house to shame.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:51 AM   #26
MHD77

We bought our Fuzion 429 in February also from General RV tampa. I agree with you the quality in some areas of the rv is disapointing. We've had a few issues as well. Doesnt sound like you are expecting perfection nor were we. For ther price tag I too would expect more. Although, weve had some problems, I love my new toy hauler. The back patio is so nice. The layout really works for us.

We haven't had the issues (thankfully) youve had. Except the AC. What a dumb place for the AC unit, huh? Although we've had our fair share of problems. Ill list our issues below and solution in case you have these in the future.

1) the nozzle behind the water/electrical panel outside wasnt connected, so when we flushed the tanks the water poured into the storage bay. (Didn't know what was wrong until we paid for a mobile rv company to help).

2) the power went out on the main kitchen slide. Thank goodness the fridge auto switches to propane! Turns out the junction box located under the couch closest to the pantry was made of plastic and wasnt grounded properly so it shorted out. They replaced it with new metal junction box. Keystone said this wasn't covered bcz it was unnecessary... power is necessary.

3) we had eaks around the fan and skylight in the main bathroom. Which lead to glue, i think leaking out from both. - mr.clean magic erasers do the trick but not a long term solution. We used flex seal in the meantime on the roof to seal.

4) there is a soft spot (spongy almost) on the floor near the main entrance.no solution currently.

5)neither door will shut unless you slam it shut. The solution is to slam it shut lol. For now.

MD
MHD77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:18 PM   #27
mlk1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeystoneKal View Post
If you want to see rv construction at its lowest level go to the Jayco video on YouTube.
The workers are literally running from station to station during assembly.
The title is “building a Jayco travel trailer in 7 hours....pure junk.”
So much for Amish craftsmanship.
Try to view that video now. They took it down.
mlk1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:15 PM   #28
Fishsizzle

Is this it?

https://youtu.be/aLHux4SuXbY
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:37 PM   #29
mlk1950

Yep, that's it. The link I had didn't work anymore. It said it was removed. I'll have to save yours. Thank's.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #30
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk1950 View Post
Yep, that's it. The link I had didn't work anymore. It said it was removed. I'll have to save yours. Thank's.
I think the guy thought they were going to drop that frame when they were spinning it
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:31 AM   #31
mlk1950

You know what really bothers me? A good friend of mine just bought a brand new one of those from a local dealer. He said he chose that brand because they seemed to be a little better quality.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:00 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
You know what really bothers me? A good friend of mine just bought a brand new one of those from a local dealer. He said he chose that brand because they seemed to be a little better quality.
Not to be "ugly", but I'd have to ask, "Why would that bother you?" If he spends his money on something that he believes is appropriate, shouldn't you be happy that he's satisfied with his purchase?

That's sort of like saying, "I can't believe he bought a Ford instead of a GMC. He thinks he got a little better quality."

There are a number of members of this forum that have "crossed the road" and bought Jayco, DRV, Winnebago and even Forest River products. Each of them did that for their own reasons, some because they thought the quality was better, some for floorplans they couldn't get from Keystone, some for price, some for color choices, some for dealer location/reputation, some because they weren't happy with their Keystone, some for any number of other reasons.

Be happy that he's happy, not "bothered because (IYHO) he got screwed."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:13 AM   #33
66joej

Bought a new '18 Cougar 27RESWE this past winter. Had it out a half dozen times so far and no problems yet. I think the assembly crew thought this TT was for Cole Davis himself.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:21 AM   #34
mlk1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Not to be "ugly", but I'd have to ask, "Why would that bother you?" If he spends his money on something that he believes is appropriate, shouldn't you be happy that he's satisfied with his purchase?

That's sort of like saying, "I can't believe he bought a Ford instead of a GMC. He thinks he got a little better quality."

There are a number of members of this forum that have "crossed the road" and bought Jayco, DRV, Winnebago and even Forest River products. Each of them did that for their own reasons, some because they thought the quality was better, some for floorplans they couldn't get from Keystone, some for price, some for color choices, some for dealer location/reputation, some because they weren't happy with their Keystone, some for any number of other reasons.

Be happy that he's happy, not "bothered because (IYHO) he got screwed."
Well, if he had seen that video, and how fast they are thrown together, I guarantee he wouldn't have bought it. I sincerely hope he has good luck with it. He was just going to pick it up day before yesterday, so I don't know weather he's happy or not. The reason it bothers me, is because he is my friend and was probably told by some salesperson how high their quality standards are. Personally, I have never bought brand new, so the ones I have owned have had most of the bugs worked out. I will be talking to him in the near future and hopefully, he will be very happy with it. Who knows, maybe he will be one of the lucky ones who gets a decent unit.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:56 AM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Well, if he had seen that video, and how fast they are thrown together, I guarantee he wouldn't have bought it. I sincerely hope he has good luck with it. He was just going to pick it up day before yesterday, so I don't know weather he's happy or not. The reason it bothers me, is because he is my friend and was probably told by some salesperson how high their quality standards are. Personally, I have never bought brand new, so the ones I have owned have had most of the bugs worked out. I will be talking to him in the near future and hopefully, he will be very happy with it. Who knows, maybe he will be one of the lucky ones who gets a decent unit.
You really REALLY need to take a trip to Goshen and visit the Keystone factory, then head north to Elkhart and visit the Jayco factory... EVERY RV assembly line in the Elkhart area builds them the same with the same people (yes, they quit FR and go to work at Keystone, then quit Keystone and go to work at Jayco and quit Jayco to work for FR) and they all have the same "corporate mentality, so YOUR Hideout is built by the same workforce using the same materials and the same quality standards as his Jayco. In other words: If you go to WalMart, buy your eggs in a pink Styrofoam carton and not in the green Styrofoam carton, are they really better ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:13 PM   #36
mlk1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You really REALLY need to take a trip to Goshen and visit the Keystone factory, then head north to Elkhart and visit the Jayco factory... EVERY RV assembly line in the Elkhart area builds them the same with the same people (yes, they quit FR and go to work at Keystone, then quit Keystone and go to work at Jayco and quit Jayco to work for FR) and they all have the same "corporate mentality, so YOUR Hideout is built by the same workforce using the same materials and the same quality standards as his Jayco. In other words: If you go to WalMart, buy your eggs in a pink Styrofoam carton and not in the green Styrofoam carton, are they really better ?????
I have no doubt about what you just stated. My Hideout is built with the same quality as most of the others. It's far below my standards, but all I could afford at the time. Luckily I'm somewhat mechanically inclined an have be able to fix alot of issues on mine. For example, the siding on mine (which will have to stay that way) is 1/2" lower than the bottom of the floor on the passenger side and up tight to the bottom of the floor on the drivers side. So, if they start from top and work down on the siding like they showed in that video, that tells me that one wall is shorter than the other by 1/2", or they started applying the siding 1/2" lower on one side than the other. All I'm saying is people have the right to expect better quality for what they pay for these units. if I had the money, I'd probably have an Airstream, Oliver or maybe a lance, which I realize have their share of problems too. But to build units in 6 or 7 hours and shove them out the door( and act like they are proud of it) is just plain bad.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:45 PM   #37
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I have no doubt about what you just stated. My Hideout is built with the same quality as most of the others. It's far below my standards, but all I could afford at the time. Luckily I'm somewhat mechanically inclined an have be able to fix alot of issues on mine. For example, the siding on mine (which will have to stay that way) is 1/2" lower than the bottom of the floor on the passenger side and up tight to the bottom of the floor on the drivers side. So, if they start from top and work down on the siding like they showed in that video, that tells me that one wall is shorter than the other by 1/2", or they started applying the siding 1/2" lower on one side than the other. All I'm saying is people have the right to expect better quality for what they pay for these units. if I had the money, I'd probably have an Airstream, Oliver or maybe a lance, which I realize have their share of problems too. But to build units in 6 or 7 hours and shove them out the door( and act like they are proud of it) is just plain bad.
This topic has been discussed on this forum and virtually every other RV forum ad nauseum. They are what they are regardless of price point. Buying one when you know how it is built and why, then complain about it is not really productive for you or anyone else. They aren't a "Mercedes", and in fact, "Mercedes" are as poorly/well built as a Chevy Malibu. Quality stuff? Well, it's not coming off an assembly line that's for sure. Start thinking entry point at maybe 1M+ and you might find someone that will make something that is going to be made to exacting standards. For me....I'm just going to deal with the run of the mill RV and be happy.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:03 AM   #38
mlk1950

Well, this conversation has pretty much run it's course. I'm entitled to my opinion as you are yours. I will just continue to buy used and be satisfied with it.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:50 PM   #39
CaptnJohn

Amish craftsmanship means getting home in time for lunch so the cows get milked before dinner.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuzion, quality