Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2018, 07:27 PM   #1
Linemanj

Having trouble need help

I have a 2008 323k Everest 5th wheel. When i have the Furness on for a while it will shut of and the bedroom lights will dim and the ceiling unit will beep three times. About 10 min it will all work again .has anyone had this problem?
Linemanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:19 AM   #2
Brentw

Not much info to go on from your post but, making assumptions.
Running gas fired furnace that is shutting down.
They pull a fair bit of power, thus lights dimming, beeps from roof unit, could be a low voltage indication as well.
Are you on shore power or running on batteries.
The 10 minutes may be enough to time for furnace to try and restart, battery charge may have rebounded after the rest to allow enough power for a restart.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:34 AM   #3
Linemanj

Thanks

I'm plugged in to a 50amp service. Batteries are fully charged and on a float charger. Could it be my inverter is not keeping up.
Linemanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:11 AM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linemanj View Post
I'm plugged in to a 50amp service. Batteries are fully charged and on a float charger. Could it be my inverter is not keeping up.
Just curious, if you're plugged into 50 amp service... why is your battery on a float charger.. Normal converters also charge the battery.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:18 AM   #5
C.LeeNick

Just a wild guess, but is it possible the float charger on your batteries is interfering with the electronics of the on-board converter in some way, causing it to act strangely?
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:24 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.LeeNick View Post
Just a wild guess, but is it possible the float charger on your batteries is interfering with the electronics of the on-board converter in some way, causing it to act strangely?
That would be my guess. You should never have 2 chargers connected to a battery at the same time. I'm guessing here but let's say your float charger is charging at 2 amps. The converter sees this as a high enough voltage for the battery to be charged and shuts off. If he continues to keep this condition something is going to fail.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:48 AM   #7
Logan X

I agree, having the batteries charged by two sources causes problems.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:18 AM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

With two devices, on line converter and that battery charger both competing to keep those batteries charged at the same time, not sure the amount of charge that is actually being applied to the battery. I would not recommend this configuration. On the other hand I guess it surprises me that with these two power sources attached that the voltage is dropping enough that the furnace is kicking off and lights are dimming. Acts as if neither one is supplying adequate 12 VDC power ??? Please keep us informed
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:56 AM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Check your connections to make sure they are tight and clean. AWAG, but eliminate the simple first.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

This is late to the party, but the WFCO converter/charger sensing circuit only charges the battery/batteries based on voltage sensed by the system. If there is a 2 amp charger providing 12.6 volts to the batteries, then the voltage sensed by the WFCO charger will be 12.6 volts and it will not charge the system batteries but will go into "maintain mode". If the furnace is drawing 10 amps from the battery and the refrigerator is drawing 2 amps from the battery and the lights are drawing 5 amps from the battery, then the drain on the battery is 17 amps and the only "charging" that's going to happen is from the little 2 amp charger. It won't take but about 2 days for the battery/batteries to be low enough that they simply can't keep up.

Disconnect the trickle charger, either throw it away or put it in a box and NEVER bring it out again (until you need it to store your batteries out of the trailer. Plug in the trailer to 50 amps and let that $300 WFCO converter do what you paid for it to do..... No need to even have that $6 trickle charger in the trailer. All it does is mess things up.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote