Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
wingmaster02

Unhappy Bad Decals and rear wall delaminating

Hi Guys ,
New to the forum and rv'in anyway I purchased a 2010 Copper Canyon from private party , according to papers on it, it was purchased just over 7 months before I purchased it 6 months ago, so we are at 13 months , so it is not under warranty anymore, or so I am told. My problems is as follows;
1. the decals are rolling up and breaking off in several spots , especially the nose and passenger side. Where does oone find the replacement decals for this unit.

2. The main problem i have discovered is the rear fiberglass wall seems to be detaching form the plywood substructre and I am wondering if there isan easy solution to this problem and is this common? Also would it do any good to contact Keystone about this problem due to the relative age of this unit?

Wayne Skelton
2003 F-350 Dually
2010 36' Copper Canyon
wingmaster02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
1st. Knight

I have a 2010 Cougar and scratched one of the decals and needed having replaced. I took a picture ( as they change designs frequently ) and took to the local dealer. He ordered and had in within a week. I did pay to have them install since it was rather big. Cost was minimal.
I believe there is an extended warrantly on the sidewalls but not sure. you may wish to call Keystone. I had my door seperate after having 13 months ( found in Spring ) and they did replace it. Can't hurt to ask.
1st. Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
durhamcutter

wingmaster02 , so sorry to hear about your delimma but the back wall can't de-laminate because there is no core wall there, it is a piece of fiberglass over a frame that is insulated, the different temps. will cause it to expand or contract and it will look as if it is delaminating. I am on my 4th sprinter and they have all done this , I have looked at a lot of trailers and there rear wall does the same thing, the only ones that don't seem to do this are trailers thaat have a rear cap. Hope you get your decals corrected. Good Camping
durhamcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #4
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by durhamcutter View Post
wingmaster02 , so sorry to hear about your delimma but the back wall can't de-laminate because there is no core wall there, it is a piece of fiberglass over a frame that is insulated, the different temps. will cause it to expand or contract and it will look as if it is delaminating. I am on my 4th sprinter and they have all done this , I have looked at a lot of trailers and there rear wall does the same thing, the only ones that don't seem to do this are trailers thaat have a rear cap. Hope you get your decals corrected. Good Camping
Good info.
thanks,
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #5
antiqfreq

It is always interesting to me when someone posts on the forum of their problem but never gets back to us with any resolution, or not, to the situation.

I hope members will get back to us with a follow up. Not that some don't, but a lot don't.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
rjsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by durhamcutter View Post
+1

Most of the Keystone lines have that "floating", for lack of a better word, back wall. The Filon just hangs of the back and is held in place by the fixtures cut in the wall.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
tibbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
+1

Most of the Keystone lines have that "floating", for lack of a better word, back wall. The Filon just hangs of the back and is held in place by the fixtures cut in the wall.

Ron W.
Is this a new feature? My 2001 Bobcat back wall was tight to the structure but over the years has bubbled and let loose even pulling out the clip that held up the compartment door. The front panel bubbled after we bought the RV in 2001 and the company fixed it...6 months in shop! At that time I read, and was told, there was a problem with the glue used. The RV faced South and constant Sun beating down on it made the front panel bubble.

This is my first post, can't believe I just found this place after owning the RV 10 years.
tibbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Tibbar:
If you looked for this forum 10 years ago, you wouldn't have found it because it didn't exist. It appeared a few years ago under another name, disappeared for a short while, and then resurfaced again with a new name and has been growing ever since.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:56 AM   #9
rjsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbar View Post
Is this a new feature? My 2001 Bobcat back wall was tight to the structure but over the years has bubbled and let loose even pulling out the clip that held up the compartment door. The front panel bubbled after we bought the RV in 2001 and the company fixed it...6 months in shop! At that time I read, and was told, there was a problem with the glue used. The RV faced South and constant Sun beating down on it made the front panel bubble.

This is my first post, can't believe I just found this place after owning the RV 10 years.
I don't know if it's a "new" feature or not, my 2008 245rks has what I like to call the "floating rear wall option" ;>)

Like others have said the rear wall will look different when the weather changes and the Filon sort of moves around on it's own. I'm not crazy about the way the rear wall looks but as long as it's not caused by water intrusion I'll live with it.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:14 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

My rear wall is the same, it "floats" if you will, over the structure and is held in place by screws around the edges, at the tail lights, rear window and the electrical entry port. There's no other structural support (that I can find) attaching the rear fiberglass to the structure.

Waaaaayyyy back in 1993 we bought a large Holiday Rambler travel trailer. It had .040 aluminum walls riveted to the superstructure. Rivets were about every 24" along the entire length at several heights, in rows along the sides.

When we parked in about 70F temps, the walls were essentially straight, but park in the sun on a hot day and the walls would "oil can" and you could see bulges from front to back as the .040 aluminum expanded faster and further than the wall structure below it.

I think that's what Keystone is trying to avoid, especially on fiberglass which isn't as resistant to breaking as more flexible aluminum. If it were attached more securely, I'd bet it would expand and contract either pulling out the screws or elongating the heads and setting up leaks. As many trailers as are built this way from all the manufacturers, there's got to be some beneficial reason not to go screwing another pound of screws or adding another pound of adhesive to try to stabilize it to the structure better.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #11
Handysam

I have to agree with JRTJH. My back wall in the hot sun looks as if it will just peel off any second now. I'm not sure why the back walls are "floating" if you will, but my several visits to the dealer, and my snooping around found that a lot of the campers were this way, with the "floating walls". I noticed this on fifth wheels as well as travel trailers. I have often heard that this is normal. Maybe someone will chime in with the reason. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 10-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Sam,
I think the reason is because the expansion and contraction would pull the screws out of the substructure or elongate the screwholes causing leakage. I may be wrong, but I'd just about bet on it... Anyone else have any theories?

John

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #13
tibbar

Our RV is a 2001 and it was in the shop for many months after we first got it so they could replace the front cap because it "delaminated". The company paid a lot of money to fix the front. When you push on it now, it feels solid with no bubbles or movement. The back cap used to feel solid but in the last few years it has bubbled and let loose. Could using a "floating" system be their answer so the skin doesn't come unglued? Don't use glue in the first place?
tibbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
Railcop345

Smile Decals

Call Keystone, ask to speak to Denise. Explain the problem, she will likely ask for a picture. We have a 08 Montana 2955RL. Decals were peeling, etc. Keystone sent us the complete set, both sides, as their expense!
Railcop345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
charltons

Great info. I was looking at my new Sprinter today and found the same "bubbling and flexing" of the rear wall. Quick call to dealer and they explained it to me exactly as the info included in this post.