Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
Ruffus

Question Electrical Fire

Been fulltiming since August and have been plugged into both 50 and 30 amp service at different times. Since late September we have been using an adapter plugged into a 30 amp pedistal. Last night my 120 volt lights flickered a couple times. Early this AM my microwave woke me up beeping as if there was a power loss then it came right back on. This happened a couple times so I went to investigate. When I checked the outside I seen smoke coming from the pedistal so I tripped the breaker and pulled the RV plug from it. The adapter plug was burning and there was a fanolic smell at the plug on the pedistal. Has anyone ever experianced this type of problem? I will further investigate as soon as it warms up today.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Seann
Permanent User Ban

That is why I NEVER plug into a pedestal without one of these.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...rge-guard/2279
Seann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Ruffus

Smile Good info

Thanks for the info Seann but I did have one in line, it fried the post connector then caught the adapter plug which was attached to the surge protector on fire. Good thing I had an adapter in place or I would be replacing the surge protector also. It was the female plug in the post that was the problem. It was just wore out from years of use which allowed the male plug to arc across the connection which caused the fire. I'll just check it out more closely from now on, but thanks again for the information.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Seann
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
Thanks for the info Seann but I did have one in line, it fried the post connector then caught the adapter plug which was attached to the surge protector on fire. Good thing I had an adapter in place or I would be replacing the surge protector also. It was the female plug in the post that was the problem. It was just wore out from years of use which allowed the male plug to arc across the connection which caused the fire. I'll just check it out more closely from now on, but thanks again for the information.
That is not a surge protector Jim... it is way more than that... when your lights flickered it would have cut off all power to the rig that instant... to protect it...
I hard wired mine into my power bay... they are just to $$$expensive$$$ to loose.
Seann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
haffcke

electric cable hook up

in a campground near New Orleans the guy mowing cut my cord and caused a short, also my sewer hose, now every time i return and the grass has been cut i check for damage.
haffcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
CPE

Had the exact thing happen to mine ! I bought the protection unit, while not cheap, it will protect against that exact problem and surges. I got the factory to better the C W sale price free freight NEVER camp without it since that ! (c g pedestal had loose connection inside it; rained that night and caused arcing)
CPE is offline   Reply With Quote