Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #1
npsumich

Newbies from Washington state🌨

Hi everyone, we are Nick & Patti from the Evergreen state. We just purchased a 2015 Outback 31'. There is a lot to learn and from what I have read on this forum, it will help a great deal. We have taken 2 short trips in the last 3 weeks, and my question has to do with the bounce I get in the front of my truck. We are pulling it with a 2011 GMC Sierra 5.3L V8 crew cab 4wd. Wheel base is 3645, gear ratio 3.42. Max TW is listed at 9500 (outback is 7670), the GCWR is listed at 15,000. The dealership gave us a new hitch and swaybar components. I have tried my best to load the TT correctly. I have read on forums that installing airbags would help this issue. Helpful ideas?? Thanks!😃
npsumich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

A few specifics will help; what are the numbers off the sticker on the side of the trailer; dry weight, gvw? What is the tongue weight (dry is probably all you will find)? What is the model of the Outback? What is the payload (carrying capacity) from the sticker inside the driver's door of your truck? Wheelbase is 3645 - What does that mean?

If the front is bouncing it could be a number of things. Air bags may help but you don't want to try to mask a problem. Your WDH may not be adjusted right; what shape are your shocks in? With a 2011 TV you need new shocks if you haven't replaced them. What kind of tires do you have on the truck and what kind of air pressure? You need LT tires and run them at the max on the sidewall. Just a few things to start on. Let us know.

Edit: Almost forgot....Welcome to the forum and congrats on your NTU trailer! Lots of folks here to help with any questions.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
Tbos

Newbies from Washington state🌨

Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. Enjoy your new to you rig. Hope you can get your issues resolved. I did have an issue once due to not having LT tires on a previous Tow Vehicle a 2014 Silverado similar to your TV. It's possible your shocks are worn too. My payload was 1750 Lbs.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
Drydays

newbies from wa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npsumich View Post
Hi everyone, we are Nick & Patti from the Evergreen state. We just purchased a 2015 Outback 31'. There is a lot to learn and from what I have read on this forum, it will help a great deal. We have taken 2 short trips in the last 3 weeks, and my question has to do with the bounce I get in the front of my truck. We are pulling it with a 2011 GMC Sierra 5.3L V8 crew cab 4wd. Wheel base is 3645, gear ratio 3.42. Max TW is listed at 9500 (outback is 7670), the GCWR is listed at 15,000. The dealership gave us a new hitch and swaybar components. I have tried my best to load the TT correctly. I have read on forums that installing airbags would help this issue. Helpful ideas?? Thanks!😃

Get a hitch with a weight distribution system first and foremost that will cut out your ? .. , First on a get level area, then with the unit hitched up. Measure the wheel wells to see what you need to make the whole ,say the back wheel well is 35in and the front is 37-38" . . This is hard to explain, raise your hitch up to make the front come down, If you have chain hook ups then start up with 3 links , in the chain. fasten them and let the hitch down... Measure, see if you have 18-20 "s ball height, or the wheel wells are the same. The front of the trailer should be lower than the back, just slightly. A SWAYBAR IS good but not a bounce controller...
PM me if you need I will give you my tele ##.
Chuck
Drydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:27 AM   #5
Big1

Welcome from Lakewood, WA.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:28 AM   #6
notanlines

Nick, let's assume for a minute that you have a 312BH with a tongue weight of 920 pounds. In real time that will make your tongue weight very close to 12-1300 pounds after you add the hitch, propane, batteries, goodies in the front of the RV, etc. I'm willing to bet upfront that simple proper installation of the WD hitch will cure most of your problem. Shedding the passenger tires on your truck as Sourdough suggested will be a big step also. Don't jump on in with the air bag idea. Get everything in line correctly first. And two more things: Welcome to the forum from the Memphis area, and why not take Chuck up on his offer? Find a mutual time to call him. Take it out to a nice big parking lot and see what you get! Keep us informed on your progress.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, newbies