Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2017, 05:49 PM   #1
Goose

First dutch oven meal was a bust

Well, not really a complete bust. I made a strawberry cobbler and neglected to check it over the course of an hour. I just assumed the dutch oven was one of those things where you're supposed to just leave it alone. Big mistake. My cobbler was a little more than well done on top. It is still edible and the parts that are edible are excellent. Nothing beats the flavor of a dutch oven. Tomorrow morning I will be making a 5 layer breakfast casserole and will be checking it often. Absolutely love this method of cooking. Especially while camping. Anyone else camping at Fort Wilderness right now? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just want to go camping.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:53 PM   #2
Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
Well, not really a complete bust. I made a strawberry cobbler and neglected to check it over the course of an hour. I just assumed the dutch oven was one of those things where you're supposed to just leave it alone. Big mistake. My cobbler was a little more than well done on top. It is still edible and the parts that are edible are excellent. Nothing beats the flavor of a dutch oven. Tomorrow morning I will be making a 5 layer breakfast casserole and will be checking it often. Absolutely love this method of cooking. Especially while camping. Anyone else camping at Fort Wilderness right now? Lol

So you put the Dutch oven into the oven to cook? Does it help with preventing burning? I find the oven seems to burn in spots especially with biscuits. I've tried various temperatures but they still burn in places.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #3
Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
So you put the Dutch oven into the oven to cook? Does it help with preventing burning? I find the oven seems to burn in spots especially with biscuits. I've tried various temperatures but they still burn in places.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Sorry, no. I used hot coals in a fire pit. I created hot coals using my coal chimney then put them under and on top of my dutch oven. Much hotter than most ovens. Another reason why I should have definitely been checking it often. I learned something new I guess.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:22 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

All of us great cooks have had a flop here and there. As long as it was still enjoyed, it was a success.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:33 PM   #5
Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
All of us great cooks have had a flop here and there. As long as it was still enjoyed, it was a success.

I'm enjoying what I can of it with vanilla ice cream (Blue Bell of course)...right now as we speak. Lol

Old 08-05-2017, 07:42 AM   #6
plugf15

Hi Goose, We love to use our Dutch oven. We order the foil liners from Amazon for easy cleanup. The liners come in all sizes. Good luck!
plugf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #7
notanlines

I'm not trying to rain on the dutch oven parade, maybe just a small shower. Aren't we losing a little something cooking with the foil liners? Kind of like grilling a steak over a propane grill? We cook on occasion on the dutch oven and have found this recipe Italian Layer Bake to be wonderful.
https://www.mrfood.com/Casseroles/Italian-Layer-Bake
If you are weight conscious or have heart problems don't even think about clicking on that link.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:27 AM   #8
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I'm not trying to rain on the dutch oven parade, maybe just a small shower. Aren't we losing a little something cooking with the foil liners? Kind of like grilling a steak over a propane grill? We cook on occasion on the dutch oven and have found this recipe Italian Layer Bake to be wonderful.
If you are weight conscious or have heart problems don't even think about clicking on that link.
^^^Yeah^^^

Cook "unprotected" or use parchment liners.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:37 AM   #9
Goose

Quote:

Actually, I made a 5-layer breakfast casserole this morning and used foil and it was fantastic. Flavors still definitely came through. It's all about making cleanup easier. Family loved it too. Ham, hash browns, eggs, cheese & biscuits.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:25 AM   #10
notanlines

Goose, we winter in Florida. Any chance of an invite next casserole?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:24 PM   #11
Goose

Quote:
Goose, we winter in Florida. Any chance of an invite next casserole?

If I'm here then absolutely! Lol. Going to make monkey bread tomorrow.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:44 PM   #12
bspiek

If only the crunchy bits tasted like M&M's....desert would always be perfect. Take care...

B
bspiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:26 PM   #13
bomberchamp

Here's a couple of quick tips that I learned about Dutch oven cooking that will help all your future cooks goes smoothly. The first one is i place all my charcoal around the edges of the Dutch oven and let the heat work back towards the middle, top and bottom. The next trick I learned is to rotate my oven clockwise 90° every 15 minutes, then rotate the lid back to the original starting position. What this essentially does is it moves the food around the coals and eliminates hotspots and burning.
Hope this helps, enjoy cooking with your cast iron, nothing beats it.
bomberchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:48 AM   #14
SLIMSHADIE

Bomber has the trick. I cook all my cobblers for an hour, rotate the bottom 1/4 turn and the lid a 1/4 back, eliminates hot spots. After 30 minutes, I add new coals. For the pie filling I usually do 2 flavors, a left and right side. Also learned whether I use 2 or 4 cans of pie filling, you still only use 1 cake mix. Happy camping
Old 08-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #15
Goose

This is what I need to do. Thank you. I never rotated, so when I would take it off the coals, the bottom would always be burnt. Guess it will just take cooking with it several times to get the hang of things. I've been doing 10 coals on the bottom and 14 on top. This seems to be the go to for most recipes. Thanks again SlimShadie and Bomber.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #16
Jackstraw

Okay , I checked the posts and so far no one has posited this advice. When Ive cooked with a dutch oven I pretty much give each coal a value of 10 Degrees. Like other advice split the coals (say for 350) 15 bottom and 20 top. then give your recipe time as if using a regular oven. I agree about not using a liner. Oven needs to be seasoned like a CI skillet. I admire your culinary adventuring. Enjoy.
Jackstraw is offline   Reply With Quote