Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2017, 04:00 AM   #1
Sulphur1

FloJet Portable Self Priming RV Macerator Waste Pump 18555000A

Hi, looked at a lot of posts re using a macerator pump. Like many I need to dump 'up-hill' at home so the new FloJet Portable Self Priming RV Macerator Waste Pump Kit 12V DC [18555000A] looks to fit the job.
I intend to install a 3" Valterra valve at the present dump/cap outlet with a clear 45 degree elbow with lugs to take the macerator pump. Probably need some sort of quick release support as well.
Any comments appreciated
Cheers
Jon
Sulphur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:24 AM   #2
gary31

I use the macerator when I cannot dump while boon docking. I had a plumber create a quick disconnect and valve under my house. I just hook up and pump about 40 ft of garden hose until empty. I will tell you that in my case the pump will get hot and trip the internal breaker, but when it cools in a few minutes I can complete the job. I will also say that I am pumping usually close to 100 gallons of black and grey water.So depending on your capacity and discharge hose as well as lift you are pushing you may not experience the same overheating issues.

Enjoying the Grandkids like No Tomorrow!
-----------------------------------------------
2015 Carbon 31
2013 F250 CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel
2005 Honda Rancher & 2017 RZR 900S
gary31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
Sulphur1

Many thanks for your reply gary31
I need to pump about 12 feet and lift about 3 feet height at home & will give a good option for hard to access ones in the boonnies. Is your's a FloJet Portable?
Re your pump tripping - These pumps use quite a lot of current so you may have a voltage drop & need to connect to a larger fused supply or install a dedicated supply from your battery. Larger cable size gives higher voltage at pump & less current to pump.
Cheers
Jon
Sulphur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:06 AM   #4
Dave W

I too have that macerator and also trip the internal breaker when I used the common in the USA 5/8" (1.59cm). The manufacturer recommends at least 3/4" (1.9-2cm) hose. I also disassembled mine and found manufacturing crud lodged behind the impeller, causing even more motor heat buildup. I have a 3/4" hose now and all seems well but have seldom used lately.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:32 PM   #5
mikell

Have used one for years just remember to use lots of water while flushing. The one I have now I connect to my golf cart battery and have a 55 gallon poo cart that I built to haul the stuff to the dump station. It has a 1" quick connect from the pump to the tank.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote