Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2017, 03:05 AM   #1
xrated

Just a Heads up For New Trailer Owners.....

So I purchased a brand new Keystone Fuzion Impact 303 last fall and promptly brought it home and parked it, as it was the very end of October and my camping/track days were over for the year. I've been working on mods and getting it ready for the 2017 season, over this past winter months...installing wheel chocks in the garage, built a slider tray for the baggage compartment, and other things in preparation for use in a month or so.

Last weekend, while out checking things over on the T.H., I thought about the electric stabilizer jacks and though I'd run them down and back up just to make sure that everything was OK and ready to go. WRONG! So I started running the front set down and on the LCI brand stabilizers, the motor and worm gear assembly moves back and forth as the legs go down and back up. As I'm watching the legs go down, I looked and the motor was moving away from it's original location (when the legs were up) and the power cord connected to the motor was getting really tight. This two conductor cable was clamped off and there simply WAS NOT enough slack for it to continue without pulling the cable in two or pulling it out of the motor drive. Also, when the unit was installed or built, the feet on the end of the stabilizer arms were tightened so tight, that they would not rotate freely and the one on the curb side (where the drive motor is) was now wedged into the motor housing. The foot on the opposite side was overtightened also, and it was at a 45 degree angle and about 8" from the ground (should have been perpendicular to the ground at this point in time).

This is a pretty easy fix, although it should have NEVER happened in the first place. The 2 conductor cable feeding the motor had a foot or more of slack tied up in a coil and available to be used. I unclamped the cable where it was attached to the trailer frame and pulled down some more slack so that the motor would have plenty of cable for it's full travel back and forth. The next thing to do is to loosen the bolt that was pinching the feet to the stabilizer arm, allowing it to freely rotate as the arm when up and down. No worries about the nut coming loose when doing this, as it's a self locking nut.

The rear stabilizer jack was the exact same way......cable clamped too short to allow for full travel of the motor, and the feet on the stabilizer arms were tight and squeezing or pinching them to the point that they would not rotate freely. All told, it was about a 15 or 20 minute job, but if I hadn't caught it, it migh have torn the cables in two or out of the motor......and that's if the the foot didn't break the motor housing as it was trying to be lower. That, could have very easily ruined a good first outing with the new T.H.

So anyone that has recently bought a new trailer/T.H./whatever with the LCI stabilizer jacks, you may want to check them out first, before assuming that they will operate correctly on your first camping trip.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:19 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Good advice. I'm glad you saw it and corrected it before disaster struck. I didn't have this problem on mine but maybe dealer caught it and I just never knew. One can never be too cautious.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote