Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2016, 07:35 PM   #1
msubobcats

Took in 5th wheel for a couple more issues

And as before, minor stuff, but quality control could be better.
A living room ceiling speaker screw was in the mounting hole but not screwed into anything.so during our trip the screw just fell out.
Same with the vent over the rear bunks. As we would travel there would always be sawdust on the top bunk. On the trip back home two screws from the vent were on the bed plus probably the last of the sawdust on the bed.
I guess they can't construct a box in the joists to attach all the screws holding up all the stuff...
And I edited to add: Cabinet drawers had two screws on the hinges just strip out... For future, I am going to the local hardware store and get a box of matching, longer screws to replace others as they may strip out...
THEN the last issue was the carpet on the stairs to the bathroom/bedroom started to unravel. Guess what, Keystone turned it down but the dealer got a carpet person in to repair it...
Thank you Sierra RV...
8.1 / Allison / Long bed / Crew Cab
2016 Keystone Cougar 284RDB
GOOOOO MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY BOBCATS
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
Dave W

Welcome to today's world of quality built recreational vehicles, regardless of brand name.

I stopped counting loose or missing screws. I just replaced a window knob screw after it loosened and fell out. I checked the rest - 2 were totally missing (possibly never installed) and the rest were loose (8-32x1" round head Phillips machine screws). Then there are the fender screws ------------ which are now 8/32x3/4 round head Phillips stainless machine screws, nuts and washers.

Oh and before I forget, check the fasteners on the exterior steps. Every one on ours was loose plus one nyloc nut missing which sent me for a 'ride' (5/16-18 nut, 1/2" wrench and a couple Allen wrenches -7/32 and 1/4)
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

You will never get rid of the sawdust no matter how old your trailer is. Our Cougar is an '07 and I still get sawdust in light fixtures after a long trip. I think they use it like magic pixie dust ..... It gets in your eyes and you can't see errors they made while assembling the trailer. The money they save by sending out the trash in the walls and other cavities must be considerable. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:09 PM   #4
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
You will never get rid of the sawdust no matter how old your trailer is. Our Cougar is an '07 and I still get sawdust in light fixtures after a long trip.
The never-ending saw dust that somehow reappears from under interior walls after almost every trip, classic RV pixie dust like you said. Apparently, commercial wet/dry vacs don't exist in Elkhart, IN.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:04 AM   #5
nellie1289

pop your vent holes for AC and look in the little hole in the ducting. FILLED WITH TRASH and SAWDUST. ran the vacuum through them as best I could.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:45 AM   #6
old timer

Saw dust makes great insulation LOL
I carry a assortment of screws finish nail's and believe it or not wood glue. I also have a tool bag with lots of tools also. Drill bits socket set hammer drill motor screw driver small hatchet. just to name a few. LOL
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote