Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2016, 06:54 AM   #1
Canonman

A Little Surprised

Just took our 2017 Cougar in for the first warranty visit. One of the issues we wanted addressed were some unsealed penetrations through the floor and the underbelly. The service writer said Keystone will not approve/pay for sealing these up. He stated since the underbelly is "completely sealed" the floor penetrations don't need to be:bang head: We then showed him the open penetrations in the underbelly around the front landing gear and rear leveling jacks. Guess what; they don't seal these either.
Now some of us still camp in the woods, or the mountains, or the desert or the coast. You know, where the little critters live. And they just love finding warm dry places to call home. Like my travel trailer.
So we are looking for some input from the forum. Is this standard Keystone policy? Has anyone experienced this before? What was the outcome?
We plan on contacting the Keystone rep for this area, but would like to have a bit more information to help make the case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_7335 - Version 2 (1).jpg
Views:	127
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	10595   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_7491 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	10596  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:43 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I don't know what Keystone's policy is regarding "unsealed" gaps/openings in the floor or underbelly. What I do know is that there are a number of places in our unit where water lines - such as low points drains in the underbelly - are somewhat sealed but not totally. There were gaps in the floor area where water lines and drains enter/exit the unit and were left unsealed. I think it is a very common occurrence.

Like many others have done, I simply sealed them up myself using a combination of expandable foam and bronze wool. I went through the whole unit looking for and finding quite a few "open" spaces.

To be honest, I never thought of this as being a warranty claim and went ahead and "fixed" it myself. As others have stated on here, quite often it is far easier and more effective by simply doing small, RV repairs yourself.

By the time you go through the often lengthy and frustrating process of submitting a warranty claim, it's a lot simpler to forget about Keystone and the dealer.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:45 AM   #3
therink

It is my experience that these things dont come perfect. Gaps in underbelly normal around landing gear. They do have to move up and down with some flex room. Some gaps around floor penetrations is normal.
Part of the fun of owning and rv for me is fine tuning a b r and new trailer done the way I want it. But a can of spray foam and fill them yourself. It is fairly simple and you can trim off excess with razor when done.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:05 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

^^^x2. Little things like those you mention are very easy and cheap to repair on your own. It will be done the way you want it. Trying to get warranty work done on something so small can eventually sour you on the whole RV thing when you let yourself get so frustrated and mad over a small thing. Better to just take care of it and concentrate on the FUN parts of RVing.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:14 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Keystone isn't the only one that doesn't seal any of the floor penetrations. For as many different brands as I have worked on over the years, I would say it's industry standard NOT to. as for the underbelly seals, there again I have seen everything from nothing foamed to everything foamed and water drains sealed with lots of silicone.

I don't know what Keystone considers "standard" for sealing the underbelly, but I would be willing to bet it's whatever was done. As others have stated, things like that are easier to do yourself and save the aggravation.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:42 AM   #6
JimQ

I had evidence of a mouse (s) that entered the underbelly and then got up into the area where the fresh water pump is located. After inspecting underneath, I found areas that were not sealed. I used gorilla tape in spots that needed to be sealed and I am always setting traps around the TT. I also put stainless steel wool around the electrical supply cord. Since I did it, I haven't had any more problems. Good Luck!
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
GaryWT

I know I would not bring my rig in for something like that. I believe I would spend the $4.99 for a can of good stuff foam and go for it, does not seem like a big deal.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #8
Canonman

Thanks all for the insights. For sure the open penetrations were not the big issue for the warranty trip. Just the one the service writer balked at. Our last TT was all sealed up and we had no uninvited guests. DW was happy and all was well in Camelot.
I can/will use the foam seal where I find openings to the wild outdoors. Thanks Festus for the bronze wool idea. I'm sure the little buggers won't like crawling through that.
The rest of the unit seems well put together. Overall we are quite pleased with the fit and finish.
The responses received are exactly why these forums are important and useful.
Again, many thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_0363.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	10599   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0623.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	10600  
Old 06-12-2016, 07:36 AM   #9
Dave W

Our last 5er was a Glendale Titanium which was considered a 'super' premium 5er. I spent literally weeks finding and sealing holes. Jump ahead and now we have a Montana High County that Keystone calls a 'Premium' 5er. Over the winter of 2014/2015 there was more mouse s --- er..... droppings left then I thought possible. After a full sanitation that took two weeks and many buckets of cleaning solution plus hours of laundry, I got to work. There were access points in the front battery compartment, the belly covering, through the HW heater, all of the water feed and drains, gas line feeds and through the fridge vents. I've sealed everything using steel wool, Right Stuff expanding foam and luan plywood. This included any drawer access to the bed room vanity and the kitchen counter. Not what I call a fun job but this seems to be industry 'standard'. I have other mouse tales and RVs but what I'm saying is that you need to do a full look and anywhere you see light, a rodent will call a doorway to winter luxury living. Oh and if your electric cable hookup is through a hatch, another potential door to Mickey's luxury living 24/7/365. Also the pin box assembly penetration is a door too, especially if you leave that cable dangling (birds also enjoy that opening as a nesting place too.

Winter 2015/2016 - the 5er is nice and clean with no sign that Mickey and Minnie Mouse and kids enjoyed a warmer winter's rest
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #10
Canonman

Thanks Dave,
Like most folks we thought at the price point involved with a 5er purchase there would be more attention to these kinds of details. CW is waiting to hear back from Keystone yea or nay on sealing the obvious penetrations. After reviewing the input from the forum members I'm prepared to get to work on the sealing job myself as soon as CW finishes the remainder of the punch list. Then, it's off to the Pacific North West for a couple weeks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_9891.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	10666  
Old 06-12-2016, 02:37 PM   #11
Pull Toy

A little tin foil or stainless steel wool goes a long way with critters! They won't chew thru!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:07 AM   #12
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
................. Then, it's off to the Pacific North West for a couple weeks.
Good grief - live in Utah and going elsewhere???
We expect be there sometime in September. We've skied there several times and last year with our 5er spent about 2 weeks touring
Old 06-13-2016, 05:58 AM   #13
Canonman

I know! We have a wonderful "back yard" but the kids have decided to make the Pacific Northwest home. This trip is to get together and spend about a week camping at the coast. Lots to see and do there too. Plus, how could you not want to spend time with this group of knuckle-heads??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_4353.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	10680   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5438.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	10681   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5642.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	10682  
Old 06-13-2016, 07:02 AM   #14
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
I know! We have a wonderful "back yard" but the kids have decided to make the Pacific Northwest home. This trip is to get together and spend about a week camping at the coast. Lots to see and do there too. Plus, how could you not want to spend time with this group of knuckle-heads??
Now I understand!!

Our kids and grand children are in 'garden' spots like Richmond, San Antonio the middle of New Jersey