Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2016, 04:32 AM   #1
{tpc}

Looking at new tires.

Ok so after inspecting my tires, which are stock ones that have served me well, I have noticed that one has what can best be described as an "inward" bubble on the sidewall. I can't say where are when this happened, just that it did. Tires have always been properly inflated etc...blah blah blah, and up to now I have no complaints. The size of the indentation is maybe slightly larger than a nickel but smaller or the same size as a quarter. I'm not sure others would notice it, but the smallest differences in anything seem to jump out at me.

They are I believe a Trailer King tire? Or something to that effect. I am sure they are made in china, etc. I think the size is 205 75 R14.

So looking at the choices at discount tire, I can see there is a Carlisle Sport Trail LH tire, which is priced just about where I want to be. I don't really believe in just replacing one tire...I guess if I did, I would just swap the bad one for the spare. I suppose I could do that in the meantime as its probably better than running that one. Might buy me some time even to look around more at tires.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Or any knowledge of the sport trail lh carlisle tire? I know it is a bias ply tire, I believe a 6 ply. I think the amount of plys might be driven by the fact it is a 14inch tire but I don't know.

When I look at the other options discount tire has to offer in that size, they all look to be the same load rating, same plys, just radial plys instead of a bias ply. And of course they are more expensive.

My choice of discount tire is pretty simple. I have credit there. And the one I deal with is well run, the people always do proper torques with a wrench, stuff like that. I always get a good feeling that they are doing proper work when I am there. I can't say that for other tire places or even every discount tire.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:47 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

There are countless threads and posts pertaining to this subject. You can read through my post and the replies titled "I'm a believer" in this same subject line. You don't say how old the tires are, manufacture date, miles etc. BUT the one critical thing you supplied is TRAILER KING. That should make you very wary from the git go. IMO you should replace all the tires, not just one, or you will just be waiting for something bad to happen.

Edit: I see your trailer is a 2014 model. Mine is as well and I just went through a Trailer King experience (read the post I referenced above) and replaced all 5 of my tires.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:09 AM   #3
Desert185

Since I don't trust the OEM, unbalanced tires that come on trailers, I replace them. The SRX got Maxxis 8008 235/80R16 LRE and the 7,000# GW utility trailers got Carlisle Radial Trail RH in 205/75R15 all balanced, with metal stems and upgraded from LRC to LRD (65 PSI). I've had the OEM's begin to separate and bubble, but not the Carlisle...so far. The Maxxis tires on the SRX have also been trouble-free. I learned a long time ago to not skimp on tires.

I'm thinking you should at least go with a Carlisle radial in the next load rating upwards. I also use Discount Tire, BTW.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:27 AM   #4
Tbos

Finding a local dealer I can get my TT into that carries Maxxis or Carlisle tires I my area is a chore.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:31 AM   #5
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Finding a local dealer I can get my TT into that carries Maxxis or Carlisle tires I my area is a chore.
A chore worth the attempt IMO. I find it easier to remove the wheels and take them to the tire shop in the back of my truck instead of towing the trailer(s) into town.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:44 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

All the Discount tire stores I've been to have smaller parking lots and would be very difficult to maneuver with a long trailer. I use bottle jacks and remove 2 wheel/tires and take them in. I have also used my local tire company (we have no discount tire in our town) and had them send a mobile unit to our storage unit, remove the tires there, take them in to replace them and then put them back on the trailer. I think the mobile fee was 50 or $75. Not bad considering the back and forth business.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #7
Tbos

Good suggestions. Thanks.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:30 AM   #8
{tpc}

The issue i have with the radial tires is primarily that they are just about twice the price. I am unsure about how to go to the next load rating up, because there isn't an option for that, at least online. Seems like the next load rating up means a bigger tire and/or replacement rims to handle increased pressure, and as money IS THE object here lol, I won't be replacing the rims.

I think the one I use has a big enough parking lot to accommodate my rig, if I schedule an early morning appointment.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:39 PM   #9
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
All the Discount tire stores I've been to have smaller parking lots and would be very difficult to maneuver with a long trailer. I use bottle jacks and remove 2 wheel/tires and take them in. I have also used my local tire company (we have no discount tire in our town) and had them send a mobile unit to our storage unit, remove the tires there, take them in to replace them and then put them back on the trailer. I think the mobile fee was 50 or $75. Not bad considering the back and forth business.

Mine has a decent pull around and they ask you to book in somewhat off hours and just have you block two of their bays sideways. They bring the jacks out front and do the work in front of the bays. No big deal.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:10 AM   #10
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
The issue i have with the radial tires is primarily that they are just about twice the price. I am unsure about how to go to the next load rating up, because there isn't an option for that, at least online. Seems like the next load rating up means a bigger tire and/or replacement rims to handle increased pressure, and as money IS THE object here lol, I won't be replacing the rims.

I think the one I use has a big enough parking lot to accommodate my rig, if I schedule an early morning appointment.
Not to sound ugly, but the cost of decent tires will be nothing compared to the cost, or insurance deductible, of repairing your trailer after a cheap tire blows out.
Carlisle or Maxxis will serve you well. The others, I wouldn't trust.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:51 AM   #11
dcg9381

I'm with gearhead. Too many threads about thousands in damage due to one of these factory tires separating. I don't want to fight with warranty and I don't want to deal with "Trailer King" and have to prove that the tire failed for manufacturing reasons.

If your local dealer doesn't have them, order 'em.. It's really simple. Tirerack, simpletire, they all do online orders delivered to local "approved" installers.

IF you go up a load rating, make sure your wheels are rated for that rating and the inflation range (PSI) is supported by both the wheels and valve stems.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:34 AM   #12
slow

FWIIW: Skip a weekend camping trip and you will have saved the difference in tire cost and have peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:34 AM   #13
Desert185

Gearhead post #10. Bingo! ^^^THAT^^^

Old 06-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #14
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Given the costly damage that a blowmax failure can cause, I took the extreme measure of replacing my ST tires the moment I brought my TT home from the dealer. (Note: "blowmax" in this context refers to pretty much any factory ST tire.)

I replaced my factory 15" wheels with 16" Sendel wheels which matched the factory ones exactly. With 16" wheels, I wrapped them with Duravis R250 tires. I no longer concern myself with tire problems.

It was expensive, but still cheaper than one blow-out.

After reading about blow-outs... and knowing two people personally that have had blow-outs, upgrading tires was a no-brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote