Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2015, 01:20 PM   #1
chris7913

EZ lube axles

Would anyone know what type of grease Dexter uses from factory on the 5200 lbs EZ lube axles?

In the event that no one knows and I just end up ripping the bearings out and clean them up, is there a recommended type stated by Dexter.

I went through my package of manuals from when I purchased my TT and can't find the dexter axle one.

Thanks
chris7913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #2
rbev2308

http://www.dexteraxle.com/i/u/614960...d_Bearings.pdf

You can also talk to your local distributor which answered my questions since they are the ones that handle warranty work.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/find_a_dex...tributor______
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7913 View Post
Would anyone know what type of grease Dexter uses from factory on the 5200 lbs EZ lube axles?

In the event that no one knows and I just end up ripping the bearings out and clean them up, is there a recommended type stated by Dexter.

I went through my package of manuals from when I purchased my TT and can't find the dexter axle one.

Thanks
go to dexteraxle.com and click on the Resource Library button at the top of the page. There are manuals and charts and such for everything Dexter. Use the Service and Maintenance drop down and there's a Bearing and Lubrication Chart which includes what you are looking for.

FWIW, I spent some time downloading all the pertinent files for my rig so that I'd always have them at my fingertips on my laptop whenever needed.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
rbev2308

Heck...forgot one more thing. You can also download your manual or in my
case, I requested and received a hard copy one from Dexter...

http://www.dexteraxle.com/literature1
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:15 PM   #5
chris7913

Thanks for the great input. I'll check it out
chris7913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:17 PM   #6
bobbecky

Regardless of which grease you use, and there are quite a few recommended in the Dexter service manual which can be downloaded from the Dexter site, and just because there are zerk fittings on the ends of these axles, beware that this is a trap, that greasing these bearings using a grease gun is risking contaminating the brakes with grease, as the seals don't always work well. Plus, you will use close to an entire tube of grease per wheel location to fill the entire hub in order to expel all the old grease from the inner and outer bearings and get new grease to them. You also will not have an opportunity to inspect the brakes, which is a safety item that should not be skipped. Once you have used the EZ Lube feature, if you still decide to use it, and you finally do pull the drums to look at the brakes, you will have an enormous amount of grease to deal with on the spindle and inside the hub, a very messy situation. These hubs are not filled with grease to start with, as all they need is a normal packing of the bearings when assembled or when being serviced. I just serviced my rig, and used one 16 oz tub of high quality red wheel bearing grease to hand pack all the bearings on all four wheels, and I was liberal in the use of the grease.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote