Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2015, 05:24 AM   #1
dvan

Landing legs replacement

I have a Fuzion 405 and had finally decided to replace the landing gear (slow running and hard to lift trailer). The leg on the drivers side I should be able to get to through the access door for the propane tanks, but the leg on the passenger side looks like they built the trailer around it and I cant get to it to remove it. There is a panel at the bottom that isn't removable and the generator box is on one side and the side where the hydraulic pump and batteries are have a welded plate that blocks access to the leg. Any Ideas, the only way I see is to cut the panel behind the Hyd. pump and see if I can get to the mount that way, but I thought I would ask if anyone else has ran into this problem first.
Thanks
Dennis
dvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:11 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Don't have an answer to your question, but I am wondering what is wrong with your current legs that changing them is going to fix? They are a hydraulic cylinder, if they are not leaking, their operation/performance is simply a product of the fluid being moved through them. If they are leaking, seal replacement is a much easier and cheaper fix than replacing the legs.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:41 PM   #3
Pull Toy

+ 1!

I'd check for a clogged or kinked hose or fluid level. Check with your dealer to see if there is a way to "bleed" the system. How old is the fluid etc... and is the reservoir full?

I'd also check the pump output, but be careful... this is not a job for amateurs (no disrespect meant, but high PSI hydraulics are not forgiving!)

Good Luck!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:05 PM   #4
dvan

Sorry I wasn't clearer in my first post. The landing legs are electric and are very slow and I bought a new set of Bull Dog landing legs to replace them. The hydraulic pump I mentioned is the pump for the slides not the landing legs.
Back to my original question, has anyone see this where it looks like they built the trailer around the landing leg because there no way to get to the mounting brackets unless I remove the built in generator and enclosure or cut the panel behind the battery compartment.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:51 PM   #5
bsmith0404

Not trying to second guess you, well maybe I am or maybe I just don't understand what you're trying to accomplish. The speed of the landing gear is controlled by the motor. A standard motor is around 5-5.5k rpms and rated for about 5k lbs. They make upgraded motors that will lift 5.5-6k and turn at over 7k rpms. The motors are around $150 and very easy to replace. If your only complaint is the speed that can be fixed with an upgraded motor.

Typically you only have to use the motor for a few inches of travel once you drop the legs. I'm just trying to point out options that are easier and less costly, but it's not my time or money. Sorry I can't help you with your question of how to get to the leg.....have you removed the colorplast and looked at going in from the bottom? If you have a steel generator front compartment that may not be an option either.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
randy69

I did replace the that landing that's hard to get at . Your storage compartment wall has to be loosen up so you can see where your landing jack is. Then you make a door with hindges. Now you always have excess to change or grease. Mine was slow also. I decided to add another motor and one more switch.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #7
jtyphoid

My 2009 Raptor is the opposite of yours in that I can easily get to the passenger side but not the driver side leg.

A petite, flexible person who is not claustrophobic can get to my driver side leg by crawling into the storage compartment next to the generator then crawling/squeezing up on top of the generator bay.

Or you can do what I did and take off the plastic sheet that covers the overhang and lower front of the fiver. It was a big job, but not as bad as I feared.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:30 PM   #8
jtyphoid

Another option might be to remove the front wall of your pass through storage and come at the leg from behind.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:39 PM   #9
randy69

That's exactly what I meant the driver side landing jack is not easily accesable. The front storage wall is just behind that hard to get landing gear. Cut a door behind the jack .. If you want pictures let me know I will take some. I was able to replace the jack without loosing weight and crawling on top of generator.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:56 AM   #10
dvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyphoid View Post
Another option might be to remove the front wall of your pass through storage and come at the leg from behind.
As I was laying in the storage compartment last night changing out my Auto Transfer Switch I thought Hmmm I wonder if I can get to the landing leg if I remove the front panel. By the time I finely got out I had forgot to check. I will check it out tonight.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:00 PM   #11
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy69 View Post
That's exactly what I meant the driver side landing jack is not easily accesable. The front storage wall is just behind that hard to get landing gear. Cut a door behind the jack .. If you want pictures let me know I will take some. I was able to replace the jack without loosing weight and crawling on top of generator.
I thought about doing mine that way, but I had to remove the front/overhang panel anyway (tractor vs RV - RV loses. I don't want to talk about it...), so I took care of the landing gear while I was at it.