Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2015, 08:03 PM   #1
sjturbo

Suburban Furnace problem

Work with me on this please. Furnace does not light! Set temp on thermostat, switch to heat, click-fan goes on. Few seconds later "clik" (gas on?) second "clik", no ignition? Go outside can smell gas at exhaust but no burner on. Igniter maybe? This furnace is in a terrible location (2010 316RL) under the frig! Any ideas?
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I am going on that you known for 100% that you have propane and that is supplying propane correctly. It may well be that your right. I had the same problem but, still under warranty. It was the control board that failed and that is what many on here have found. The unit needs to be removed to check that out.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:49 AM   #3
trueweb

Throw cheap parts at it first. I had a problem with mine where it would not light. Turned out it was the limit switch. At the time I bought a limit switch, sail switch and ignitor from Amazon at the same time since they were all pretty cheap. It was a pain to get it out from under the fridge and getting it out of it's steel suit of armor was even worse.

9 months later the ignitor went and I had one in my parts bin since I bought it from Amazon already so I replaced it and had the heater working again within hours of when it quit working.

You can actually test most of these parts with a simple multi-meter if you'd rather not spend the money on them first.
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:24 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Download the Suburban Furnace Service Manual here: http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/suburban_dd_nt.pdf

Around page 14 is an excellent troubleshooting guide. Just follow the actions, answer "yes/no" and it will lead you to the factory suggestions (about the middle of the page).

Good Luck and let us know once you've done the troubleshooting.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:47 AM   #5
bsmith0404

Use the trouble shooting guide as mentioned. Food for thought, many times a furnace does not light initially because of a lack of propane. The igniter will try a few times and then it stops. This is a safety precaution so you don't end up with gas build up and then an explosion. When I first arrive at a location, I always light the stove first as a way to make sure I have propane going through the lines, call it a bleeding process. Then I can turn the furnace on and switch the fridge to auto.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:48 AM   #6
sjturbo

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!! I knew I had propane because I always prime the system by starting the stove,(great suggestion). That has helped in the past when lighting the frig! Throwing cheap parts was a great idea also. I found an igniter close by for about the same price as online. I usually try to buy local if parts are reasonably priced and available! Replaced the igniter and all is warm! I will try it few times to make sure but the cheap parts seem to have done the trick!! Thanks again!!!
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:28 PM   #7
Pull Toy

Happy heat!!!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote