Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
bowersjack

201 Cougar Warrenty

our new Cougar went into Camping World 7/11 for a safety recall and a few minor warranty issues. They are telling us they are waiting for Keystones approval befor they make the repairs!
Is this normal?
bowersjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowersjack View Post
our new Cougar went into Camping World 7/11 for a safety recall and a few minor warranty issues. They are telling us they are waiting for Keystones approval befor they make the repairs!
Is this normal?
The 1 year warranty that you have with your Cougar is a warranty with Keystone - not the dealership. When a person brings his unit into the dealership for warranty repairs, the dealership assesses the problem, takes photos, writes up a report, etc., and sends all of this information to Keystone. Once received, Keystone will go over all of this information and make a decision about the repairs and/or replacements and advise the dealership.

So yes, the dealer has to await approval for repairs before proceeding. If they went ahead and did the repairs without approval, then they could "get stuck" with the costs should Keystone refuse to approve some or all of the repairs.

The bottom line is that the dealership is not about to go ahead with any repairs or replacements - recalls or otherwise - until they get the go ahead from Keystone and know that they will be reimbursed for making those repairs.

Yes, this is normal.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:55 AM   #3
flint1962

Yes and once the approval is done then they will order parts. In my case in Canada it takes 3 weeks to get parts, yes you read that right 3 weeks.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #4
GaryWT

Unfortunately yes. Depending on the issue, my dealer will have me send in the pictures and they will get everything approve and get the part before I bring in the trailer. I know this only works if we know what the issue is, if the dealer has to look for the problem then it can take awhile.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:28 PM   #5
gearhead

But wait...there's more...
If the defect is on a vendor supplied part, like the refrigerator, A/C, unit, etc., you can find a dealer or repair shop that is an authorized warranty repair center for that piece of equipment.
My infamous dealer gave 3 half hearted attempts to repair my Dometic refrigerator and failed. A small Mom & Pop shop, that was authorized, repaired it under warranty in 1 trip. They still had to get authorization from Dometic.
The only thing the Mom & Pop shop can't repair under warranty is structural issues.
http://www.channelviewsupply.com/
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote