Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2015, 09:12 PM   #21
mamawildbear

We always camp holiday weekends. It's the extra night camping that is the big draw for us. Our plans were almost a bust this year. We had hoped to stay pretty local at a lake just 45 minutes from us. The trouble was all of the reservable sites were booked way early, leaving just walk-ins. We figured we'd do what we normally do and show up Thursday am, pay for the extra night, which would go unused but reserve our site. Well, everyone else had the same plan but they started booking Mon, Tues, etc. You've got a whole bunch of people booking and paying for the entire week, just to secure the weekend. So Wednesday after lunch my friend calls and says there are only 5 sites left and she's going to get them then and there. We needed 2 sites and by the time she got there 45 minutes later, there was only one site left. ARRRGGGGHHHH!

We searched all over the place with no luck whatsoever and finally her husband gets a return call from an RV park in Llano, TX that has 2 sites available. Got our confirmation this am. Whew! I hope it's nice. And I hope the weather holds out.

Riverway RV Park
Camping partners with my Hubby of 22 years
Spud - 14 year old son
Mouse - 12 year old daughter
Pickles the Bagel Hound - 9 year old camping dog
(at home we have Hazel the cat, Gummy the Leopard Gecko and Lachlan the Hanoverian horse)
mamawildbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:19 AM   #22
frano

We'll be at Pine Hollow Campground in Pownal, VT this weekend. We have been doing the MA Samboree in Greenfield, MA. in the past but decided to change it up this Memorial Day.
frano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:24 AM   #23
glenalt

Headed out for Creekside Rv Park in Maggie Valley, NC. We got one of the premium sites on the Creek, shade and water. You can't beat that. Going to be there for 8 days. Y'all have fun!
glenalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:08 AM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Last time I camped on a holiday weekend was in about 1996. I paid for my space, and the first night there was so many people acting a fool, I didn't get to sleep until early morning.

Woke up to a tent pitched about 3 feet from my slide and a campfire started for breakfast about 1 1/2 feet from my slide. Since they clearly were with a LARGE crowd of people, I wasn't going to risk jail to keep my spot. I will admit that I closed up everything, and hitched up. Just before I pulled out of my spot I pulled all three dump valves and filled the tent and doused the campfire.
Yep, that was about the time we quit.

First night of a holiday weekend we were camped in a remote area of the forest on a creek. Unluckily it was where a bunch of rowdy drunks (druggies) decided to play the fool next to us and kept us up all night by blaring loud music (Boston) and getting stuck in the creek next to us. I returned the favor at about 4am (blaring music) as we were breaking camp to leave and find another spot. They were not happy with me and decided to come pay me a visit. It ended with them bouncing toward me in the truck that had been stuck in the creek beside us all night and me walking toward them with weapons in my shoulder and hip holsters. When they saw me they retreated immediately. About an hour later we left and drove thru their camp (we had to to get out). They were all passed out in various postitions of disarray.

That was the last holiday weekend we camped anywhere. We now go to our home in the mountains and stay put until the mayhem in our little mountain town dies down and the touristas go home (we bought that vacation house the year after the above incident and directly because of it).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:38 AM   #25
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Yep, that was about the time we quit.

First night of a holiday weekend we were camped in a remote area of the forest on a creek. Unluckily it was where a bunch of rowdy drunks (druggies) decided to play the fool next to us and kept us up all night by blaring loud music (Boston) and getting stuck in the creek next to us. I returned the favor at about 4am (blaring music) as we were breaking camp to leave and find another spot. They were not happy with me and decided to come pay me a visit. It ended with them bouncing toward me in the truck that had been stuck in the creek beside us all night and me walking toward them with weapons in my shoulder and hip holsters. When they saw me they retreated immediately. About an hour later we left and drove thru their camp (we had to to get out). They were all passed out in various postitions of disarray.

That was the last holiday weekend we camped anywhere. We now go to our home in the mountains and stay put until the mayhem in our little mountain town dies down and the touristas go home (we bought that vacation house the year after the above incident and directly because of it).

We don't go anywhere on holidays except the week between Christmas and New Years that we spend at Goose Island SP.. But that park is well regulated and fun ain't allowed...
Old 05-22-2015, 10:10 AM   #26
Desert185

Staying home hosting friends with a motorhome camping on our property, with baby backs in the smoker tomorrow. PRICELESS!

Lest we forget... I will also be remembering the reason the the holiday is named Memorial Day.

-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:38 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Desert - x2 on remembrance..............
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:46 PM   #28
Murphsmom

Returned today from a ten day trip from western Idaho to the Black Hills in South Dakota. We are glad to be relaxing at home for the holiday.

Going to Mount Rushmore before Memorial Day meant far smaller crowds, but it also meant waking up at the RV park outside of Deadwood with four inches of snow on our roof on Wednesday!
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:19 AM   #29
GaryWT

So far weekend is good. It was quiet last night. We arrived 10:30 in the morning and very few were here. So far so good, just having fun.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:40 AM   #30
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
We make it a point not to camp on holiday weekends, too many people. I will be spending Sat morning with a bunch of fellow retirees at a range doings annual qualifications for CCW.
Same here as far as this weekend goes.
We are at home with a big cookout(50 +/-minus folks) planned for Sunday evening. Worked in and around the yard all day. worked on the camper, the golfcart, planted flowers and mowed two yards.
And Just renewed my CCW and working on the wife to get her's.
HAve great weekend and remember this weekend is for all out fallen Hero's who have allowed us this freedom.
Randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #31
gtsum2

We arrived Friday at noon and will be heading back home Tuesday morning. It was perfect weather here in central va for camping