Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2015, 04:40 AM   #1
bsmith0404

RV Shortage

FYI, there is a current shortage of new RVs coming out of Indiana. I have been transporting RVs since Feb. Up until recently the yards have been pretty full of new trailers going to the dealerships. The past few weeks there hasn't been much going out and most transporters have been sitting idle. Apparently a parts supplier is on strike and has created a parts shortage for ALL RV manufacturers. If you were considering buying a new unit this year, you may want to hold off. If this goes on much longer the laws of supply and demand will keep prices up. If you plan to order a new one, don't expect it anytime soon either, I've heard the manufacturers have a pretty good backlog.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:05 AM   #2
GaryWT

This is interesting, crazy how a part or group of parts can hold things up. I know last year the manufacturers were buying land to park new units on as they could not get them delivered quick enough, now to have orders backing up sure will make things crazy when the strike is over.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
wahoonc

May be the longshoreman's strike on the west coast, holding up the parts that come from China. I know it is causing a lot of issues getting stuff from the docks on the west coast.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
May be the longshoreman's strike on the west coast, holding up the parts that come from China. I know it is causing a lot of issues getting stuff from the docks on the west coast.

Aaron
That's been over and done with for a while now.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:15 AM   #5
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
That's been over and done with for a while now.
Have to check on that... I have a certain supplier that is still claiming that is why we aren't getting some items. Might be time to open a can of whoop ***.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:24 AM   #6
Bob Landry

It could also be a created shortage in order to facilitate a price increase. Just one more reason to keep my Outback.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:01 AM   #7
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
It could also be a created shortage in order to facilitate a price increase. Just one more reason to keep my Outback.
I doubt that. The RV transport industry had a lot of problems in the past, especially last year, with transporter shortages. The manufacturers got together to try and resolve the problems. They came up with a few things to help draw/keep more transporters. An engineered shortage to drive prices up would cause them to lose many transporters that need a steady income. Based on information I'm getting from several transporters, this current problem will cause several to leave the industry and several others to not start.

My understanding is that they need over 2,000 transporters. In the past inconsistent runs, low pay per mile, and dealer check-in procedures drove many away. This is not going to help.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 04-27-2015, 03:24 PM   #8
Ken / Claudia

Hey, guys. Here in Portland there has been a work slow down and strikes at the docks on/off for around 2 years. The strikes are done. Container Carriers just left Portland in the last several months. 1 had 40% of all off loading of goods is now going to SeaTac. The other was 20% of all off loading goods left Portland, unknown where they went. I would think that is causing hold ups else where off loading but, I have no hard data to prove it.
The logs and wheat are still moving out as normal.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #9
notanlines

Just to add a little to this post. Transporters are paid approximately $1.11 to $1.31 per loaded mile to haul your RV across the country. For this they are required to have 1-ton or better, long bed, with 18K hitch. And get this: When the trailer arrives most are required to WASH THE TRAILER for which they are paid an additional $10.00. We have two couples in our RV park who have done this in the past, both tell the same story. The web site they talk about backs them up. Try to make a living doing this......
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:33 PM   #10
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Just to add a little to this post. Transporters are paid approximately $1.11 to $1.31 per loaded mile to haul your RV across the country. For this they are required to have 1-ton or better, long bed, with 18K hitch. And get this: When the trailer arrives most are required to WASH THE TRAILER for which they are paid an additional $10.00. We have two couples in our RV park who have done this in the past, both tell the same story. The web site they talk about backs them up. Try to make a living doing this......
It's getting better, I'm getting $1.38 per mile for non CDL loads (GVWR under 13K) $1.48 per mile for CDL. The price goes up and down with fuel prices based on the fuel surcharge. A few companies no longer require us to wash the units, Forest River and Jayco. Fortunately, the company I'm leased with mainly transports Jayco's so I don't have to wash. The problem with the industry is people like me. I don't do it for a living, I simply use it to supplement my military retirement. That keeps prices down and makes it more difficult for others to make a living. I chose to do it because I transport when and where I want, I'm an independent contractor and not punching a clock anywhere. There are some who do this to make a living and the load shortage is going to hurt them. It may be enough to drive them away from the industry adding to the driver shortage and longer waits getting units to the dealerships. The part that bothers me is I have to pay $20 for some other guy to haul the unit from the factory to the yard where I pick it up...why am I paying for that?

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 04-28-2015, 07:40 AM   #11
notanlines

Brent, first and most important is thanks for your service from a Marine Corps family! Second, your last statement about $20.00 was like the bad frosting on this crappy cake. At least the washing part may be going away.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:46 AM   #12
bsmith0404

Yeah, they justify the $20 by saying they are "providing a service to us". Apparently the fact that we don't have to go onto the manufacturer's lot to get the trailer is worth it for us to pay to have it delivered to our dispatch yard. You would think that would be part of the cost associated with doing business, not one I would have to absorb to deliver your trailer to a dealership where it can be sold. oh well, I chose to do this so I guess I need to suck it up. And they wonder why their turnover rate for driver's drivers is so high.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 05-04-2015, 08:22 AM   #13
Pmedic4

RV Backlog and delivery

We live in central Illinois, and right off of I55, so we see a lot of the transporters going down the highway by us. I've always wondered about what the transporters make doing this work, so I guess now I know.

Noted someones comment at the start about there being a backlog of new units, based on a strike. I was looking online the other day, looking for numbers of units built by Thor and their divisions, and was really surprised to see how big the backlog of units yet to be built for delivery to dealers. I'm sure certain models and brands make up most of that total, but still, I thought it was more of a simple build to stock dealers operation. By the way, they don't publish the numbers of units built, just mention revenue, profit, and growth.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote