Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
hemisareslow

Had time to seal the paint

Getting ready to head out to our seasonal spot this sunday so I took the time to pull the whole show inside and apply the paint sealant they tried to sell me when I bought it. I am the fleet manager at a chevy dealer and we offer the same products as far as paint and fabric protection so I decided to do it myself and save some cash. Took a while, but it looks great and I hope it will keep the black streaks at bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150423_193500.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	8431  
2008 Chevy 3500HD SRW DURAMAX 7" BDS Suspension lift 37" Toyo Open Country R/T's Suncoast Stage 6 trans, suncoast 1058 converter, Lance 4" down pipe, 4" turbo back exhaust, Banks intake, PPE trans cooler, FASS 150 Lift pump, EFI Live Tuning by Idao Rob
hemisareslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
SLIMSHADIE

Ok Hemisareslow, thats why I have a Cummins
Does that paint and fabric protection really work. I would love to see 2 similar rigs with and without it, under the same climates with a 5 and 10 year span on the differences? I know there is suppose to be a guarantee but I would like to see a difference. I am not knocking it but if it really works then its money well spent.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:19 AM   #3
bsmith0404

Not sure on the product he used, but if you read the warranty on many of the sealants, they need to be reapplied every 6 months to a year. Do they work? Absolutely, the same as any other sealant that you can buy from a parts store. A sealant is basically a synthetic wax. A true wax, or carnauba, looks great, but only lasts about 2-3 months. Synthetic sealants were invented to prolong the life cycle. The problem when they first came on the market is that many left a hazy appearance so people didn't use them. There were a couple that looked pretty good and manufacturers/dealers jumped on them with a warranty claim/offer. They were more expensive than a wax and offered better protection. In recent years, the sealant industry has improved appearances and you can now buy your own products and do it yourself much cheaper. IMO, they still don't look as nice as a carnauba wax, but they do offer less maintenance and better protection.

Many people think clear coat is a magic bullet to protect your paint. Clear coat isn't really anything more than paint without pigmentation. You still NEED something to protect it from UV rays. I promise you, if you did nothing to your car/truck, and in 5-10 years put it side by side with someone who applied a sealant every 6 months, and someone who applied a wax every 3 months, they will look much better.....that's assuming your clear coat hasn't peeled/burned off by then. If you spend much time in the southwest, you would be amazed at how many cars have clear coat damage.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
hemisareslow

this is the stuff we use http://www.ctpc.com/products/resista...tion-products/ .....people seem to like it....it didnt cost me anything so it really is some cheap extra protection. It does come with a gel you reapply each year.
2008 Chevy 3500HD SRW DURAMAX 7" BDS Suspension lift 37" Toyo Open Country R/T's Suncoast Stage 6 trans, suncoast 1058 converter, Lance 4" down pipe, 4" turbo back exhaust, Banks intake, PPE trans cooler, FASS 150 Lift pump, EFI Live Tuning by Idao Rob
Old 04-25-2015, 05:06 PM   #5
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemisareslow View Post
this is the stuff we use http://www.ctpc.com/products/resista...tion-products/ .....people seem to like it....it didnt cost me anything so it really is some cheap extra protection. It does come with a gel you reapply each year.
I've heard of the ResistAll products, have never used them. My understanding from talking to people who have used them is that they are a good quality sealant. Most people fail to do the follow-up applications. As with any sealer, it will wear off and no longer protect the paint. In the future you could apply any other quality sealer, but since you get it free, I'd just keep using the ResistAll. It wouldn't hurt to use a compound/scratch remover before applying it as well.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #6
hemisareslow

you got it....we used a cleaner wax before applying the sealer.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:08 AM   #7
bsmith0404

If you ever want to get really crazy, here's some pics of the look of carnauba wax over sealer.

On the Camaro I did a a 5 step process. Started with a scratch removal step, followed by a polish step, jeweling step, sealer all with a DA. Finally added a hand applied carnauba wax. This was all Blackfire products except the jeweling which was Menzerna. I love the midnight sun carnauba, leaves the paint looking like it's still wet.

The truck was a little different 3 step process. Just the Blackfire scratch removal, followed by polish/sealant and finally the carnauba.

Oh, both were clay barred first as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	041.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	8445   Click image for larger version

Name:	042.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	8446   Click image for larger version

Name:	006 (800x518).jpg
Views:	89