Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
lifecamper

Just got my inverter need help?

Ok I hope I am asking this question so that it is understood. I have 4 Trojan T105 batteries in series parallel (12V). They have replaced my 1 12V battery. Now I am installing a 2000W pure sine wave inverter. I will run a 10AWG cord from the inverter to the trailers power cord there by supplying 120V to all of the available receptacles in the trailer.When I do this it should power the charger as the batteries draw down. I am not trying to create a power machine. I just want to know why the charger would have to be disconnected? (recommended by some people on here). If I plug into 120vAC and the batteries are low the charger comes on to charge them. If the batteries are not drawn down then the charger doesn't come on. I simply need to know what effect the charger would have on the inverter? I hope I have explained my situation so that someone can give me a definitive answer. Thanks in advance.
lifecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The reason you need to disconnect the charger is that it will create a negative drain on the batteries and not provide any "plus" to the system. You are using energy to convert the 12 volts to 120 volts in the inverter, then sending it to the converter to "change it back to 12 volts" and send it back to the batteries to go to the inverter and start the process all over again.... That looping process "wastes energy" in the form of dissipated heat.

If you think about it, any time a transformer steps up or steps down power (from 120 volts to 12 volts) it produces heat, that heat is "wasted energy" that comes from your storage batteries as the charger tries to replace it (but can't keep up due to the energy loss)...

When you use available power to support a battery charger, the result is a drain on the batteries that can't be replaced by the battery charger... it's sort of like trying to water your lawn, but collect all the sprinkled water and put it back into the well. It just isn't "energy effective" to leave the charger in operation when on battery power... The amount of battery drain into the charger is "wasted energy"....

No the system won't "self destruct" if you leave the charger powered up, but it would drain your batteries unnecessarily faster than if it were turned off. How long would they last either way? That's an "experiment" you'll have to try to get the answer. It may have minimal effect and the batteries would last for 48 hours, or it may be a significant drain and the batteries only last 6 hours.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:58 AM   #3
lifecamper

Thank you. That is the answer I was looking for. I believe I can easily put a disconnect on the charger and there by getting all I can from the batteries. I was concerned about the self destruct senerio and I now I can see the light. Thanks for your explanation. Now I just need to decide where to mount the inverter? I had planned on putting it in the compartment with the batteries but now believe that might not be safe. I might mount it in the basement and go through the bulkhead with the cables if I have room? Any thoughts?
Old 09-17-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Your batteries "SHOULD BE" installed in a "vapor proof" sealed battery box that is vented to the outside. That's what Keystone installs in every fifth wheel they manufacture. If you do have a "sealed battery box" that's vented to the outside, it should be safe to install the inverter in the same compartment. If, however, you've got two batteries sitting in "marine vented boxes" (the type sold at WalMart) then I'd urge you to install the inverter on the "other side of the wall". Don't install your inverter in a "wet" or "damp" environment such as an "open bottom compartment" on the RV.

Plan your location as close to the battery bank as possible, use adequate sized cable for the length of the run and make sure you're able to get to the inverter conveniently so you can turn it off when not in use. Just having the inverter turned on (even if no 120 VAC is being used) will place a drain on your batteries. Don't plan on going on an "excursion" for the day and leaving the inverter turned on, you may come back to discharged batteries. Even in "standby mode" there is a battery drain from any inverter system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-17-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

You should have a circuit breaker marked for the converter/charger "CON". It may have other circuits on it (usually just one or two outlets ) that will need to be moved but this breaker will disconnect the converter/charger while the inverter is being used. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
lifecamper

Thanks guys. My inverter has a remote switch and I've decided to make room in the basement and run the cables through the bulkhead. Better safe than sorry. I fashioned a box from a heavy duty tote I got at Home Depot and vented it as well as put a drain in the bottom. I don't have a breaker marked CON. I have one marked GEN that cuts power to some of the outlets so I will investigate the connections and see if some are piggy backed. Is there a formula for wire size on the cables from inverter to batteries?
Old 09-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

You should have received a user manual/installation manual with your inverter. I'd urge you to read the installation instructions very carefully. In them you'll find the manufacturer's recommendations for wire size based on length of the cables from the battery to the inverter.

Keep in mind that 2000 watts of 12 VDC power is 166.67 Amps of power. That's enough to "melt a hole" or "burn down" a trailer if you take any shortcuts in wire size.

I am attaching a wire gage chart for 12 VDC wiring. As you can see, to install cables to a 2000 watt inverter, if the distance is "less than 10 feet" the recommendation is to use 2/0 multistrand cable. That's some pretty significant sized cable. I'd urge you to follow the instructions carefully and "don't skimp".

Additionally, Tripplite installation manual states to install their 2000 watt inverter using 2/0 cable and to connect it to a battery bank capable of providing 200 amps total continuous service, so you're talking a "heavy duty" installation with your inverter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire_guage_chart.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	7050  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #8
lifecamper

I have installed 4 6V Trojan T105 batteries in Series Parallel to provide my 12V supply. Each battery is rated at 225 AH. I believe that will be sufficient for my purpose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0753.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	7052   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0752.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	7053  
Old 09-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #9