Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2014, 06:01 AM   #1
trueweb

How are skylights on a 2008 Raptor attached

Hello, I need to replace the skylight in the bath and the covers on the vents. The vents look easy, they just need the cover and then I can put an extra coat of dicor sealant around the screw heads.

The skylight looks interesting. It's cracked and needs replacement, but where the dicor sealant is thin over the "screws" they look like galvanized nails. I have not dug into it yet since I don't have all the materials, but is it possible the skylight is not attached with screws? If not how do I got about replacing it? What materials do I need?

Thanks!
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #2
Yosemitebob

I don't have a Raptor, but it should be similar. Some RV skylights have screws on the interior side of the RV, if so those naturally need to be removed. After removal, go on the roof and scrape off the putty or caulking from around the base of the old skylight using a plastic (I remove the sharp edge with a bit of sandpaper) putty knife. Work gently with the putty knife to avoid damaging the RV roof, patience is needed for sure. Now remove the screws from around the base of the skylight and pull it out.

Now, more putty or butyl tape is underneath where the skylight flange was. If there is, remove it. Do this carefully, as your going to start pulling even more at your rubber roof. Clean along the edge of the exterior area of the skylight hole, underneath (everywhere) where the skylight flange was, with a rag and isopropyl alcohol.

Place new butyl tape along the edge of the skylight hole, over the pre-drilled screw holes, where the new skylight flange will sit or if using the same type and style, then the existing holes should be just fine, placing the screws inside the pre-drilled holes on the skylight flange through the pre-drilled holes in the RV roof, again, unless you are using the same style that came with it. Make sure you remove any of the butyl tape that is visible around the edge of the skylight, be careful, keep in mind the rubber roof.

Now for the self-leveling butyl rubber caulk (Dicor) around the edges of the base of the skylight to create a seal to prevent water from leaking into the RV.

Don't forget to now go back inside the RV and replace the screws on the interior side of the skylight unless you have a new one that don't need those screws.

If by chance (and I have not heard that, but....) they are on with staples, after scraping off the existing Dicor, just pull the staples.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
trueweb

Should I use butyl tape under the sunroof or butyl caulk such as the SB140 Skylight and Window Caulk? I can get my hands on either one and a video I saw on youtube used the SB140. Honestly, I think the tape will be easier to use, but do worry about how well it will compress and spread when screwed down.

Additionally it was not staples or nails I saw. It was around the vents and it was the galvanized steel frame I could see. The self leveling caulk that was there from the factory had little "bubble pop" openings that left perfectly round holes all the way to the metal so I figured they must be nail heads. Once I figured it out I just cleaned it all up and refilled them with self leveling caulk.

Thanks!
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I would use a double thickness of butyl tape under the skylight, set it in place, screw it down to compress the butyl, use your fingers and maybe some extra screws if you think it's necessary to get a good seal with no bowing of the skylight, then cover the entire area well with DICOR self leveling sealant, let it set up and if there's any question, apply more DICOR. If it looks good, then "hit the roads" and "let 'er rip"

Good luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote