Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2014, 06:24 AM   #1
wdt

Montana - entry door strut bracket tear-out

The bracket holding the gas strut to the entry door of our 2013 Montana tore out of the door. This was a result of normal closing of the door - no violent wind gusts were involved. On examination (pictures attached) I found the bracket was 'pop riveted' through aluminum framing of perhaps 1/16" thickness over the 2" width of the bracket. The strut was a 20 lbs rated unit - far too heavy a pull for the aluminum it was fastened to. I hope other Montana owners pay attention to this bracket mount. A 10 lbs strut would do the same job, and perhaps avoid the repair I am now facing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5438.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	6333   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5436.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	6334  
wdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #2
WaltBennett

Have you posted this on the Montana Owner's Club? http://montanaadministrator.forumco.com/ Someone probably has experienced it before and may have come up with a fix (if you're out of warranty).

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
wdt

The fix

Yes, thanks - I did post to the Montana owners forum. As to the 'fix' - the dealer had direction from Keystone to just 'fix it'. A replacement door was of no use - the bracket would have torn out in time as well due to the 1/16 aluminum door framing it mounted to. So - I fixed it myself, and the dealer reimbursed me for the cost and time (it was within warranty).
An 8 inch long, 1/4 inch thick by 3/4 high piece of aluminum bar stock, with the bracket back sanded free of paint, then bonded and clamped as a backing plate to the bracket using JB Weld. The bracket holes were the template for drilling the backing plate, and a corresponding plate for the inside of the door. Through bolted with 2 1/2 inch 10/24 stainless pan head machine screws cut to length for stainless acorn nuts on the inside of the door. The bracket and two plates then spray painted to match the door, and a 10 lb gas strut to replace the 20 lb strut. Works great, looks fine, and the door operates exactly as it should. There was a half inch clearance between the inside of the door and the screen door - the acorn nuts are 3/8 inch high, so no problems of them hitting the screen door frame.
wdt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana door, strut bracket