Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
sjturbo

Cracked Corian Counter Edge

We returned from TG holiday after driving only about fourteen miles and found that the rolled edge Corian countertop had a crack that appeared to start where it meets the stove at the seam of the rolled edge and wandered horizontally up into the upper edge. I'm sure I will need to call in the pro's on this one. I am most concerned with determining the cause. Has anyone experienced a similar crack? I'm thinking it may have been caused by a poorly glued seam or possibly the jarring against the stove? Any thoughts?
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

sjturbo -

In a recent post one of our members, McConnelly, indicated that he was a certified Corian fabricator and installer. If he doesn't see or respond to your above post, you might consider sending him a PM. Give the post some time on the forum before contacting him. In the meantime, perhaps other members who have had some experience working with Corian will provide you with some ideas.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
08quadram

Just had a corian rep into our office. It should be able to be repaired without being noticeable after. You can do some pretty cool things with corian.
1-wife / 1-dog / 2-kids
08quadram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
MConnelly

I see your post. I am Marc and I used to be a Corian Fabricator.
If your rig is less than 5 years old there is a good chance the top is warranted by Corian.
In residential and commercial sales Corian would send a field rep repair person out and do most repairs right in the home or office. I believe I had a boat install that they came out for as well. If you bought your rig new there may have been a Corian Warranty card for you to fill out and send in. If so, the information sheet that it came with has the 800 service #.
If Corian can't help and you want to do the repair yourself contact me and I will walk you through the job. It is noir hard.
MConnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
MConnelly

Forgot….Seams are as tough as the actual material used for the tops. If a seam came apart it was not fabricated properly. Seams do not come apart if the steps that Corian recommends are followed. Properly repaired and it will not come apart again.
MConnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
sjturbo

Thanks for replying MConnelly! I had been holding off posting my latest finding. It appears the crack is old! It looks like someone may have used a filler to mask the damage so it would not be noticed (see Photo). The crack seems to have started at the oven in the seam, traveled out and back into the seam. Since I did not buy the 5er new and it appears that someone may have used a filler a warranty repair is not likely. My DW not would likely approve of me attempting the repair so I guess I will call the pro's. Got any idea of what to expect cost wise?
Old 05-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #7
sjturbo

Well, I finally decided to tackle this one myself. Partly because of the outside cost of a pro and partly because I thought I could do it. First I cleaned out the magic filler someone used to hide the crack. Then I used a product called Q- Bond, you can find video on youtube). A professional superglue that comes with two bottles of powder, (black and grey) Since the counter is dark in color I used the black. First I glued the crack together best I could. Then adding additional glue to the crack I sprinkled the black powder on the crack. I repeated this a couple of times to build up the crack area. Then came the sanding. Starting with 320 and then to 1000 grit. Buffed by hand with Blue Coral scratch remover. It is not perfect but it is hard to see and should hold up well.