Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
KanTC

Overnight at WalMart

The WalMart topic comes up from time to time, so I thought I'd share the following link...
it includes info (by state) for stores where overnight parking is PROHIBITED, and also some info for "Overnight Etiquette".

http://www.walmartatlas.com/rv-parking-at-walmart

Happy Trails,
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:10 AM   #2
MIKEPATC

Favorites

Thanks for this link. Putting it into my Favorites.
MIKEPATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:54 AM   #3
homer3

California - Looks as though not allowed anywhere in CA. I see commercial trucks parked all the time in Sam's Club Parking lot. How does this apply to Sams Club??

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
crohill

Thanks for the link...we now have a camper that makes this knid of stop much more convienent. Hybrids and pop ups can't do this easily.

2014 Keystone Passport 2920BH

2005 GMC Yukon 5.3L 3.42 ratio with trans cool and
Heavy Duty Tow Package

Pro Series WD Hitch with Dual Sway Bars.

Previous trailer was 2006 Fleetwood Orbit hybrid 20'
crohill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
HappyCamperMN

I understand it's for emergency / sleeping and then moving on. But the etiquette about not extending slide-outs seems like it may be a challenge for some floor plans.

I see that most of the Wal-Marts in MN (or at least the MSP metro area) are on the prohibited list.

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
KanTC

homer3 - I didn't see any reference to "inclusion or exclusion" of Sam's Club, so I assume you'd have to get permission (from each store manager) to overnight there.
That said, if a community prohibits overnight RV parking at WalMart it seems likely they'd also prohibit overnight RV's at Sam's Club too.

HappyCamperMN - extending slide out's (into traffic path) in a parking lot could cause a safety issue for inattentive drivers - especially at night.
So, I can understand why a (non-RV-related) business would make that 'stipulation'.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #7
HappyCamperMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanTC View Post
HappyCamperMN - extending slide out's (into traffic path) in a parking lot could cause a safety issue for inattentive drivers - especially at night.
So, I can understand why a (non-RV-related) business would make that 'stipulation'.
Certainly makes sense. Though I didn't see the "into traffic path" stipulation in the etiquette video.

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I feel extending slides anywhere in a non camp ground environment such as Pilot, Rest areas, Walmart,.... etc. introduces risks. Event in CG's I see campers putting those swimming pool snakes on edges of their slides so nobody including themself walk into them.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
TandE

The wal mart near me is on the no camp list and I see at least 4 rvers there a night and about 2 to 3 truck drivers. I do know it is not the wal mart but city ordinance dictating this one here.

And same goes with California, just about all cities there have an ordinance prohibiting overnight stays in parking lots.

I know with my trailer I have no choice to pull out the slide as our bed is in it. Because of this I find a spot and pull the trailer up to the edge of the lot or median with bushes and such in them and extend over so the slides are not in any walking area or where someone could walk. I know people will walk with in the vegetation and could still run into a slide but if you park in a corner it's rare people will be there anyways.

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:30 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandE View Post
The wal mart near me is on the no camp list and I see at least 4 rvers there a night and about 2 to 3 truck drivers. I do know it is not the wal mart but city ordinance dictating this one here.

And same goes with California, just about all cities there have an ordinance prohibiting overnight stays in parking lots.

I know with my trailer I have no choice to pull out the slide as our bed is in it. Because of this I find a spot and pull the trailer up to the edge of the lot or median with bushes and such in them and extend over so the slides are not in any walking area or where someone could walk. I know people will walk with in the vegetation and could still run into a slide but if you park in a corner it's rare people will be there anyways.

Travis
We do the same when we "camp at WalMart". One word of caution (don't ask me why or how) Make sure you're not parked beside an automatic irrigation sprinkler head that the slide extends over.......... It does make for a very interesting morning when you realize the carpet is wet and you're in the desert.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:47 AM   #11
TandE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We do the same when we "camp at WalMart". One word of caution (don't ask me why or how) Make sure you're not parked beside an automatic irrigation sprinkler head that the slide extends over.......... It does make for a very interesting morning when you realize the carpet is wet and you're in the desert.....
Hahahahahahahaha thanks for the heads up, I never thought of checking for that. I guess it's a good thing I don't camp much if at all on concrete jungles, but will keep that in mind in case we need to in the future.

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:46 AM   #12
koko

I know we're talking Walmart here, but another great place to pull in is at Cracker Barrel. We ask first, then eat dinner and/or breakfast there. Well lit parking areas specifically for campers and buses.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #13
airforceret

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandE View Post

Travis
They may allow commercial rigs overnight and the private RVs may be drawn in by seeing other (commercial hauler) RVs in the lot at night (That is what happened with me). Or they just don't care... I was given a 2 hour window to catch a nap since I was non-commercial.
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote