Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
woodwork1955

Exclamation raising landing gear

Is it proper/safe to put blocks next to landing gear for support and then raise landing gear temporarily?. I'm installing the Steadyfast system and I don't have a tow vehicle to put it on.
woodwork1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
Comptech

Sounds very dangerous to me...
What to the installation instructions say?

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

If you are thinking of placing blocks near the landing gear AND under the frame that would be ok. Just make sure that the wheels are chocked properly so that when you raise/lower the 5th wheel, it won't move or roll. If you have a couple of bottle jacks or HD jack stands to help distribute and support the weight that would be beneficial. If you have cement blocks then I would use those.

I assume that you are going to raise the 5th wheel by using the landing jacks and then lower the 5th wheel onto the blocks - leaving the landing jacks "free" so that you can work on them. ????
Old 04-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

I LIKE FESTUS2 IDEA IT IS THE SAFEST WAY!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
woodwork1955

raising landing gear

Thanks all...and, yes, I'm doing this just like Festus described.
woodwork1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
Williston324

I would be very careful if using cement blocks. There are many variations and most have low strength unless used correctly. See the following from another RV website.

"I have been in the masonry business for 40 years. I have seen many people using cement blocks to support their TCs and other rigs on this forum. Cement blocks have no structural strength when laid horizontally. I have seen many FAIL in this application, even if only used as a temporary or quick fix. Laying a concrete block with the solid surface on the ground is just an accident waiting to happen. Placing a piece of plywood or any 2x lumber will spread the load and prevent the block from sinking into the ground. This is the same principle as putting a chock under your jack"
Old 04-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #7
goingwest

If the truck available please hook the 5th wheel up to the truck. I would hate to here about you getting hurt.

Jerry
Old 04-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
If you are thinking of placing blocks near the landing gear AND under the frame that would be ok. Just make sure that the wheels are chocked properly so that when you raise/lower the 5th wheel, it won't move or roll. If you have a couple of bottle jacks or HD jack stands to help distribute and support the weight that would be beneficial. If you have cement blocks then I would use those.

I assume that you are going to raise the 5th wheel by using the landing jacks and then lower the 5th wheel onto the blocks - leaving the landing jacks "free" so that you can work on them. ????
Sorry Festus BUT Concrete blocks are the WORST blocking to use!!! Many a home mechanic has lost their life to a failed concrete block!!!

Build up "Cribbing" of about 1' lengths of 2X4, 4X4 or 6X6 wood blocks. This is far stronger and safer than concrete.

This is one stack of cribbing supporting our old King of the Road 28' 5er, it was supported by four of these stacks of cribbing, I had no doubt it was was stable.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Russ & Williston
Thanks for the warning and for bringing this to not only my attention but also to the other forum members. Something for us all to keep in mind when thinking about supports. Hopefully, the OP saw the caution and didn't use the concrete blocks.

No need to say "sorry" --- My advice was certainly not the best!
Old 04-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
Rusty

I used to use cement blocks, I said used to because one of them did blow apart, I had just unhooked and pulled the truck ahead, then I looked in the mirror and seen the 5er listing to the right heavily.

Funny thing is the wife was in the trailer and didn't realize what was going on, so I told her to walk (gingerly) to the left rear of the trailer, which happened to be the bathroom. I didn't tell her why I just told her to scoot back there.

Then I hooked it back up and ran home as she had brought our car and we were only 20 minutes away. Went home and cut up some pressure treated 4 x4's and screwed some 3/4" plywood on them. Used them up until last year when I made the same blocking system that rhagfo posted about except I screwed the 2x4's close together so there are no gaps.

I had to rebuild my landing gear system on our Jazz a couple of years ago, built a block system out of a bunch of 2x4's then used a 12 t air actuated bottle jack, then built up another set of blocks and one side at a time lowered the jack just enough to tack up the weight on the blocks, but I kept the jack under the frame for extra support just in case something happened.

Worked on one side at a time, left the block and jack system in place for the better part of a month while I rebuilt the system.

2014 Dodge 3500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins, Exhaust Brake.

2013 Cougar High Country 315RES
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #11
randy69

This is what I use, And if I need to work on landing gear. A floor jack is added for security. But always leave the jack stands & 4x4 to help balance the load when just sitting in the driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	5791  

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote