Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
adVentureMan

Expeerience with newish FW and Keystone?

We own a Keystone Cougar FW. Manufactured in July 2012, bought my me in October 2012. It is a 2013 year model. I bought the FW at a Camping World dealer in south Alabama.

We have had the typical new FW issues, and most were fixed quickly at the dealer. However, last Dec when I winterized and stored the FW (southern AL although we live in TN), we noticed what appeared to be some "ridges" on the fiberglass exterior just below the lower refrigerator "grill". I thought it was due to the fact I'd just emptied the hot water tank, and the water had splashed around the area an made it look "wavy". We picked the FW up from storage recently and the ridges are now more pronounced, and I took the FW to the dealer to have it checked out, and also to fix a persistent though minor leak somewhere on the bottom of the rig; our "low point" valve drips maybe 1-2 cups of water a week. Anyway, the dealer was divided on what the ridges were; the shop said they thought it is a "factory defect"; they could find no evidence of water seepage, etc in that area. A manager said he believed it was the "start of delamination" and we needed to watch it. He also informed me my extended (Good Sam) warranty didn't over that. So I paid the shop charge to "investigate" the cause of the ridges/delamination.

My question (finally!): Anyone have experience with Keystone on such an issue on a 16 month old, $50k FW? My rig has been kept washed and waxed, and it bothers me to have that unsightly area (less than 18 by 18 inches). I believe there was some problem with the fiberglass when this FW was manufactured........seems very unlikely that a rig I've owned for 16 months would look this bad.

I plan to document what's been done with pictures, etc, and contact Keystone ASAP. I was told repair to that area would be about $1500.....and I know that area was turn off anyone potential seller; heck, it would me!

Suggestions are welcome, especially from anyone who had had a similar incident where they contacted Keystone.

Thanks
"Nuestra casa con buena vistas"

Need Checklists?
adVentureMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

All you can do with Keystone is contact them with all the objective data you have, pictures and the comments from the dealer along with his suggestions. See what Keystone has to say, but try to remain as objective as you can. The extended warranty won't cover it, I've never heard of one that would.

The dealer said that he could find no evidence of water damage. I'd urge you to look very carefully at where your refrigerator drain hose is routed. It may not be an "interior" leak, but that drain may be dripping on the outside of the refrigerator vent and there may be a place where the water is getting into the fiberglass from around that vent.

You might want to locate a fiberglass repair shop in your area. Most boat dealerships can direct you to a good, reliable fiberglass shop. See what they say. You might find that repair or replacement are both options. Which is best? Get the opinion of experts.

Good luck, keep us posted, who knows, Keystone may step up to the plate and help, at least with some of the repairs.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:17 AM   #3
adVentureMan

Thanks for your suggestions, especially on the reefer drain....it appears to be okay, but I believe I will lengthen and relocate it to be well clear of any points where water could enter (i.e., away from the plastic shroud/junction with the fiberglass skin. That seems easy to do. I also will do additional searching to see if I can find any evidence that the reefer is leaking inside, like from condensation, or perhaps a leak at the vent hose's origin point.

Thanks again. I'll keep this thread going. We are in Pensacola about half the year, so this would not be bad place to have fiberglas repaired....lots of high-end boat repair here.

Doug
"Nuestra casa con buena vistas"

Need Checklists?
adVentureMan is offline   Reply With Quote