Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
katovnv

Generator Transfer Switch

I just purchased a 2010 Fuzion FV400 Toy Hauler used. I found that there was a recall on the transfer switch. Before I could action it, we had the unit plugged in at home and the switch overheated and burned quite a bit of the wiring as well of course the switch. I contacted Keystone and they of course said they would replace the switch but told me I was on my own for any damage that their faulty switch caused. I am now awaiting an estimate on the damage. I cannot believe how Keystone responded to this. As I told them, never again a Keystone product, never.
katovnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
SAABDOCTOR

I WOULD CONTACT THE MAUFACTURE OF THE SWITCH (not a Keystone product) you may do better with them before you contact a lawyer. hope it works out ok.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Saabdoctor. Keystone's obligation for warranty is for the one year after purchase. The recall specifically outlines exactly what they will do. Anything they do after the warranty expires and/or extra above what the recall states they will do, is a "gesture of customer satisfaction" and not required. In the recall, there are specific instructions stating: "Continued use of the vehicle without replacing the transfer switch increases the risk of a fire, personal injury, and property damage."

You did not say when you purchased the Fuzion, but if it was after Feb 24, 2012, the dealer should have known about the recall and performed the work before he sold it to you (assuming you purchased it from a Keystone dealer and not from an individual or a "third party dealer".

In the case of the transfer switch, Keystone has met their "obligation" by performing the recall and exchanging the switch for one manufactured by another company. They have no obligation to do anything other than refer you to the manufacturer of the switch.

If you get no satisfaction from your dealer (assuming you purchased it from a Keystone dealer), and the manufacturer of the switch does not help, then you can (should) contact NHTSA. They may be able to intervene. You can contact them here:

Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE,
Washington, DC 20590.

You may call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236

You can find the recall documentation here:

http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-s...-notifications

Select FUZION and the recalls will be in the chart by subject. Open them to read exactly what the recall included.

You might want to review the other recalls in that chart to see if there are any others that might apply to your RV.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
abneynormal

maybe your insurance or

we purchased a 7 year extended warranty with ours. I guess you didn't get one with yours? you might be able to turn it in on your insurance? the problem is ALL rv manufacturers are about the same. good luck.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

abneynormal -

If your 7 year extended warranty is like most other EW's, the transfer switch itself is probably covered but any damage caused by a failure of that component will, in all likelihood, be excluded.

You might want to carefully read all of the exclusions - what is not covered - in your particular plan to see if the same thing applies in your case. Many people assume that damage caused by faulty components is covered but when they take the time to read the fine print, they are surprised to find that damage is not covered.

If your policy's exclusions are vague and you are not sure if something is covered or not, check with the underwriters of the policy.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:56 AM   #6
Terry&Carol

Transfer Switch

Does anyone know what actually happens to the switch? What fails in the switch? Our generator unit at the end of the season (10/2013) stopped charging. Not enough time to determine the cause and, I just started looking into it now. Found the post for the recall and suppect it might be the same recall problem. I agree with the above post, "legaly" it's not Keystones problem to fix the wiring. That said, you would think, as a Good Will juster they would be willing to do something (50/50 split) to retain a customer. Stepping up at the right time no matter how many owners, goes a long way for PR especially in the Internet age. That old saying Cheeper to Keep Her, should be taught to the bean counters of the world. It's Cheeper to Keep Loyal, Returning Customers then spending all that advertising money to get new ones. Just my 2 cents.
Terry&Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

As you know the transfer switch is the device that supplies 120VAC to the distribution panel in the rig either from the generator or shore power. You used the word "not charging" in reference to your generator, usually that term is used to reference the DC output of the converter charging the batteries. Do you mean you have no 120VAC from the generator? or do you mean your batteries are not getting charged? Is everything OKAy when your are connected to shore power??
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote