Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2013, 04:08 AM   #1
airforceret

2013 Cougar 280RLS Touch Panel Woes

Well I'm going from positive consumer to doubtful consumer with each passing day. We purchased it in August and 4 days later we notified the dealer that the touch panel had failed. Little did we know then it was a common problem. We left a day later on a 9 day trip that proved quite challenging considering the panel controls 20 different things in the camper, but we managed to get by. We've learned some things like pulling the fuse, but when the slides are in, that is like an act of Congress! And my shakey hands sometimes makes putting it back in quite a chore.

Here we are 2 months later, numerous phone calls and emails, and still no replacement panel. We are 3 weeks away from our next trip (2200 miles) and my concern is that it will not be resolved by then.

I emailed the dealer this morning letting them know I'm loosing my patience. I've read so many times about honey will get you more than vinegar, but at some point you run out of honey and what else is left? But fear not I won't be rude.

I will however turn my big back window into a traveling negative ad campaign though. Anyways, thanks for listening!
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
airforceret

Got home late last night to find a package on my doorstep. I was too tired to open it, but since it's from Keystone I'm guessing it must be the replacement touch panel.

The plan will be to get it swapped out this weekend and get the old one in the mail back to them on Monday!

Hope this resolves the panel problem... I'm definitely in much better spirits today about this issue!!!

It's really disheartening when you spend your life savings and then find yourself wondering will it ever work right!!! Did I make a bad decision or wrong decision!!!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
byrdr1

Glad you got your panel.
MY SIL got his 5er camper new in June and got it home to open it up and then his panel died 2 days before our 8 day trip. He used the remote for that week and then took it in for service. That took 3-4 weeks but all is well now. I helped him last week turn his door to the bunkhouse around so that it swings out instead of in to the bunkhouse. Good luck with your camper.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
airforceret

Thanks Randy... Glad to hear I'm not the only one that is willing to change things on new campers so they work better or more to one's liking! My wife used to frown on making such changes on new campers but has learned that I have some pretty good ideas! LOL

I know one of the future changes I have in mind is to modify the chest at the foot of the bed to install side doors or possibly even drawers so we can access it with the slide in all the way. Currently the bed butts up against it so it's completely useless with the slide closed!
Old 10-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
airforceret

Got the touch panel installed on Saturday. Took a bit of creativity to hang both near the corner to transfer wires from one to the other!!! Alternative was to mark each wire and that was not going to be an easy task either.

Only one snafu during the transfer... The battery disconnect IS NOT a battery disconnect as advertised!!! So don't expect it to be. I intend to write Keystone directly about that one. After pulling the battery cable, it went fairly smoothly from there.

I'm thrilled with having it swapped out... and looking forward to our upcoming trip to Denver. Hope the weather cooperates as it's 2200 miles round trip!

I'm very pleased with Pete's RV. It didn't happen as fast I wanted, but I have to understand I'm not their only patron, and this time of year is clearly a busy time of the year with people winterizing and such.

So kudos to Pete's RV.