Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #1
BRB Rig

Power Protection at Trailer Inlet

A good friend recently turned me onto hardwiring our 50 amp Power Defender at our trailer inlet as opposed to directly plugging it into a campground hookup between our 50 ft. cable and trailer inlet. His 50 amp cable had a line phase issue rendering his power protection device useless because the issue fell in line after the device. A few things blew up and smoked the entire motorhome. Fortunately, he suffered very few losses.

I’ve read a few threads on failing cables and would like to take our friend’s advice. However, instead of hardwiring the device on the trailer side of the inlet, would it be possible to use an adaptor or adaptors to plug the Defender between our cable and inlet? Any advice appreciated. Eric
BRB Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

In all my years I've never had a "power cable" issue causing a "line phase" problem that would burn up everything. I have however had power cables that deteriorate and had to be replaced; just did this week; simply to avoid a possible problem due to a cable that looked like it was becoming twisted.

IMO if you are that worried about it dump the plug in power defender and get a true wire in EMS. Some may have, but I've never seen an adapter to plug in one end or the other of a 50A EMS into a trailer (screw in). It may exist but I see nothing but additional problems trying to hang that thing off the side of your trailer. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:30 PM   #3
BRB Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
In all my years I've never had a "power cable" issue causing a "line phase" problem that would burn up everything. I have however had power cables that deteriorate and had to be replaced; just did this week; simply to avoid a possible problem due to a cable that looked like it was becoming twisted.

IMO if you are that worried about it dump the plug in power defender and get a true wire in EMS. Some may have, but I've never seen an adapter to plug in one end or the other of a 50A EMS into a trailer (screw in). It may exist but I see nothing but additional problems trying to hang that thing off the side of your trailer. JMO
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate you recommending an EMS. I just looked at the Progressive EMS HW50C and will definitely install it asap.
BRB Rig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power