Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2019, 10:37 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY Bullet View Post
But if sourdough just ordered his, it will not be a Gen 1 unit.
Mine came in Tuesday and it has the small on/off switch on the bottom. I've not got it installed yet as I've been trying to "fix" all the things left undone after taking it to the shop.....but that's another story and another thread.

I intend to install the LMP on the inside of an interior storage cabinet. It's the cabinet door I open every time we park and set up so will just switch it on to set up and switch it off as soon as I'm done and close up the cabinet. Think it will work just fine.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:03 PM   #22
Wyldfire

Installed ours in front driver side storage with the levers.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:04 AM   #23
slow

Just a thought: I do not need to access the Gen 1 LMP to access an on/off the switch since it does not have one. If I ever do install my Gen 2, I will try leaving the switch on and setting in the menu to 1 hour to see if the batteries survive as well as they do on the Gen 1 at that setting.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:25 AM   #24
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
Just a thought: I do not need to access the Gen 1 LMP to access an on/off the switch since it does not have one. If I ever do install my Gen 2, I will try leaving the switch on and setting in the menu to 1 hour to see if the batteries survive as well as they do on the Gen 1 at that setting.
So does the App wake the unit up and is there a shorter time to stay awake than 1 hour?

Since mine has the on/off switch, I never looked into the setting options.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:39 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldfire View Post
Installed ours in front driver side storage with the levers.
Does mounting it essentially "in the corner" effect the accuracy?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:41 AM   #26
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
No, you only have to state in the setup what direction it's facing.

Old 10-19-2019, 05:50 AM   #27
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
So does the App wake the unit up and is there a shorter time to stay awake than 1 hour?

Since mine has the on/off switch, I never looked into the setting options.
Once the unit sleeps after your preset time (mine is 1 hour), you have to physically turn the switch off then back on to use it again. It has no option to auto-wake.
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:55 AM   #28
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
The way it operates, it is most accurate mounted high in the center of the trailer. Mine is mounted in the cabinet above the television on the wall dividing the front bedroom from the main living area. But that is just the engineer in me. If being within a 1/4” of level in both directions is acceptable, it can be mounted anywhere that is flat and stable
Old 10-19-2019, 06:01 AM   #29
WNY Bullet

Quote:
This is from the user manual:

"The LevelMatePRO must be installed on a wall or other vertical surface on the interior of your vehicle. The top cover of the product must face the side, front or rear of the vehicle when installed.
NOTE: Installing the LevelMatePRO on a side wall or a wall that is parallel to a side wall is recommended for highest possible accuracy.
The arrows on the product label should point upward toward the ceiling of the vehicle. Attempt to install the product as straight as possible both horizontally and vertically. There is no need to install the product perfectly level or perpendicular as the product is designed to compensate for imperfect installation orientation. Using the 2 provided mounting screws, mount the product on a wall or any vertical surface. Again, insure that the arrows on the label are pointing up. If you installed the top cover properly in step 5, the on/off switch should be on the bottom edge of the unit."

Old 10-20-2019, 05:50 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
This is from the user manual:

"The LevelMatePRO must be installed on a wall or other vertical surface on the interior of your vehicle. The top cover of the product must face the side, front or rear of the vehicle when installed.
NOTE: Installing the LevelMatePRO on a side wall or a wall that is parallel to a side wall is recommended for highest possible accuracy.
The arrows on the product label should point upward toward the ceiling of the vehicle. Attempt to install the product as straight as possible both horizontally and vertically. There is no need to install the product perfectly level or perpendicular as the product is designed to compensate for imperfect installation orientation. Using the 2 provided mounting screws, mount the product on a wall or any vertical surface. Again, insure that the arrows on the label are pointing up. If you installed the top cover properly in step 5, the on/off switch should be on the bottom edge of the unit."
Thanks, I've read the directions as I have a v2 setting on the table in the camper. Due to a serious injury the DW endured I haven't had the opportunity to install it or use the camper.
I was looking for "real world" feedback on installing it for "greatest accuracy" VS "best convenience". I was initially considering top of the TV cabinet in our unit as the higher the more accurate as any deviations from plum would be greater with a larger arc. The "convenience" caught my attention because I also will get the Anderson levelers and xchock out of the driver side storage first. Not having to go inside to turn on the leveler. But then on the flip side it wouldn't be the end of the world to go inside and turn it on when returning from registrations at the cg office.
Thanks everyone for the responses.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Another little twist to these little guys;

Installed mine this afternoon and set it up. Installed it head high in a cabinet about the center of the trailer both F/R, L/R. Watched the setup video, looked at the first pages of the book etc. Leveled the trailer, measured the trailer, paired the device, entered the info and hit "set level"....PERFECT....or not. Paired DWs phone then thought I'd read a little further in the instruction manual - does anyone ever read those things?

As I was smiling, envisioning those future setups that just "fall into place", I scanned a little further into the instructions...."set level with the slides out"....what? I didn't do that! I didn't read it! So, after figuring out I could go back and just reset everything I pushed all the slides out and sure enough it dropped one side down 1/2" and the nose down the same so....I said "let's just make it think THAT is level" and when I put it into a space it will be compensating for what the slides do; but then, I hadn't put the stabilizers and lock arms in place before I opened the slides. Maybe it won't deflect as much if they are deployed before the slides go out? Heavens, heavens; such a simple thing gone so awry. I told DW to find my old slide rule to see if I could possibly work my way out of this quandry….I'm still waiting; not sure I've seen it in the last 40 years......
Old 10-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #32
NH_Bulldog

We set up our Level Mate Pro with the slide in, since that is how it would be when backing into a campsite. Experience showed that by keeping the slide side of the trailer up about 1/4-1/2” worked well especially when we set the stabilizers on that side before deploying the slide.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
Old 10-20-2019, 04:16 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
We set up our Level Mate Pro with the slide in, since that is how it would be when backing into a campsite. Experience showed that by keeping the slide side of the trailer up about 1/4-1/2” worked well especially when we set the stabilizers on that side before deploying the slide.

Setting it up like you do is what I did initially because that is what I've always done - level with the slides in, deploy stabilizers and the open the slides. Never thought about it too much because everything worked fine. Now with the LevelMate thinking level should be 1/2" higher on the double slide side maybe it will just "preset" any drop that would happen. It will be interesting and fun...we'll see.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

Have the same issue on our unit Danny. I have to "compensate" when leveling by setting driver's side (2 long slides on that side) a bit high so it "settles" into level when we open up the slides.
I know where my slide rule is (in the drawer with the "flight computer from the same Era) but not sure if I recall how to use it.
Maybe if I could find that x286 computer running that Fortran 77 I could write a program to do it.
OK enough Twilight Zone reminiscing.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:23 PM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Have the same issue on our unit Danny. I have to "compensate" when leveling by setting driver's side (2 long slides on that side) a bit high so it "settles" into level when we open up the slides.
I know where my slide rule is (in the drawer with the "flight computer from the same Era) but not sure if I recall how to use it.
Maybe if I could find that x286 computer running that Fortran 77 I could write a program to do it.
OK enough Twilight Zone reminiscing.

Haaa!! When I started programming it was hex>decimal. Fun but so tedious. DD got her degree in computer programming and told me one day..."I'm working in Oracle"...? I told her...is that anything like "orate" - that's what I like to do!! And now back to LevelMatePro!!!
Old 10-21-2019, 07:07 AM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

Leveling a travel trailer or fifth wheel is very much like walking on a balloon or beach ball. Get "balanced" and lean just a bit to one side and "WHAM", there you go, rolling to the side.

Actually, leveling a trailer is exactly like walking on 4 balloons (tires) and after "level" extending two slides (or even one) will "upset that balance".

I use our "Level Master bubble level" and level the trailer with slides IN to be about 1/2 to 3/4 of the first line (each line is 1") high on the slide side. Then, when the slides are extended, the trailer (and the bubble) are pretty much "at zero".

There's nothing wrong with updating to "digital technology", but I'm old school. My Level Master doesn't need batteries and it's already 8 years old. The last one was on a 1993 HR Alumalite and it's still there, still working as far as I know, and the batteries have never been changed .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	levelmaster2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	24107   Click image for larger version

Name:	levelmaster1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	24108   Click image for larger version

Name:	levelmaster3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	24109  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:14 AM   #37
flybouy
Site Team

John I just can't resist, if you need hearing aids are you going to "old school" and use one of those large tin cornucopia hearing aids that don't require batteries?
Old 10-21-2019, 08:05 AM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
John I just can't resist, if you need hearing aids are you going to "old school" and use one of those large tin cornucopia hearing aids that don't require batteries?
I do wear hearing aids (too many years around jet engines on the flight line) and honestly, for "at home living" it's easier to cup my hand around my ear and turn up the volume a bit... If I could find a "large tin cornucopia hearing aid" that fit in my ear without causing me to lean heavily to the sides, I'd probably own a pair of them as well.

As for the hearing aids, batteries are required, and I do wear them when we go out, or when I need to hear the DW. Truth be told, I often turn them down when she starts "explaining" things that are easier tolerated with a "cupped hand to my ear"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:07 AM   #39
sourdough
Site Team

There's nothing wrong with the bubble levels. I decided on the LevelMatePro because I got tired of getting out and checking the bubble(s). Used to try to let DW do it but over the years I finally determined that we don't view "the bubble" the same way for whatever reason. I'm figuring we can both tell a green light from a red one.....I hope. Time will tell.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:25 AM   #40
flybouy
Site Team

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I do wear hearing aids (too many years around jet engines on the flight line) and honestly, for "at home living" it's easier to cup my hand around my ear and turn up the volume a bit... If I could find a "large tin cornucopia hearing aid" that fit in my ear without causing me to lean heavily to the sides, I'd probably own a pair of them as well.

As for the hearing aids, batteries are required, and I do wear them when we go out, or when I need to hear the DW. Truth be told, I often turn them down when she starts "explaining" things that are easier tolerated with a "cupped hand to my ear"....
I lost a good deal of hearing in my right ear in my twenties firing a 41 Magnum at a bad stance (arm straight out to side because I was on crutches and had BIL helping to hold me up, long story).
Anyway, I drive, wife sets to my right, it's all good.