Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2020, 10:53 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet_Vet View Post
Sorry, thought it was in my profile. Guess I didn't set it up correctly. It is the 299RLDS

Thanks. Pulling up the specs on that trailer it shows a higher gvw than my previous trailer which came with the same size and LR as you currently have. Besides being a China bomb I also contribute the LRD with being a contributor. It is just not enough tire for that weight IMO. As was mentioned, RVIA has now changed their guidelines and and LRE would come on a trailer like yours today so be sure and go with it....and get 5 tires; BUT, prior to doing that check those wheels.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:14 AM   #22
Viet_Vet

The "China Bombs" that came with my unit new show 65 psi as recommended pressure. What do you suggest for psi on the Carlisle's?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200708_073459.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	28524  
Viet_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:29 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

My Carlisle's were rated at 80psi if I recall and that's what I carried in them. The max psi for the tire will be on the side.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:28 PM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Mine are 80 psi max according to the tire sidewall. I confirmed with Sendell (the manf of my rims) that the rims are good for 80 p.s.i. Metal bolt in valve stems and had them balanced.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:10 PM   #25
Gegrad

My Radial Trail HDs are LRE with 80 psi max and 81 mph speed rating. They are 15"s though as my rig originally came with the 14" LRC tires. I decided to upgrade rims to gain the extra capacity. I do run them at 80 psi.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:52 PM   #26
Viet_Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Mine are 80 psi max according to the tire sidewall. I confirmed with Sendell (the manf of my rims) that the rims are good for 80 p.s.i. Metal bolt in valve stems and had them balanced.

Thanks to all for the responses.

My 2015 Hideout 299RLDS came with alloy wheels. I've crawled under the camper to look on the inside of the rims, but can't see any markings at all, much less any info on PSI. How did you determine who made.your rims? I don't want to buy a set of tires that need 80 psi to find that my rims are maxed out at 65 psi.

Thanks again.
Viet_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:22 PM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Mine are made by Sendel (sendelwheel.com). It's been a few years but I think I was just doing a search on trailer wheels and stumbled across them.

I set them an email and they confirmed that the wheels are lug centric and to balance them would require a lug centric adapter.

Hispec also makes a lot of the same style trailer wheels. Recstuff.com sells the Hispec wheels.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:25 AM   #28
Keystoned

Quote:

My 2015 Hideout 299RLDS came with alloy wheels. I've crawled under the camper to look on the inside of the rims, but can't see any markings at all, much less any info on PSI. How did you determine who made.your rims? I don't want to buy a set of tires that need 80 psi to find that my rims are maxed out at 65 psi.

Thanks again.
My markings were very hard to see and required wheel removal. I think markings are required for safety reasons, so if yours really don't have any, there may be cause for concern.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:17 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

Thanks again.
Here's what you'll find on the inside spoke castings on your alloy wheels. Note that there are two weight ratings, one for 5 lug drillings and one for 6 lug drillings, so depending on the number of lugs on your wheels, the weight rating will change. Obviously the pressure ratings will be the same, but the ability to support weight without warping the wheels is determined by the number of "attaching points on the hub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	COUGAR WHEEL.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	28570  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #30
CWtheMan

Quote:

My 2015 Hideout 299RLDS came with alloy wheels. I've crawled under the camper to look on the inside of the rims, but can't see any markings at all, much less any info on PSI. How did you determine who made your rims? I don't want to buy a set of tires that need 80 psi to find that my rims are maxed out at 65 psi.

Thanks again.
You really need the LRE tires and inflated to 80 PSI. Why? Because your year model trailer was certified before the RVIA recommendation was established by Keystone and the LRD tires don't provide much load capacity reserves, especially if Keystone certified your GAWRs above 4600#.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #31
wiredgeorge

Anyone ever see a rim fail that was originally shod with a LRD tire and the owner went with LRE and bumped pressures up to 80 PSI?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:09 PM   #32
Keystoned

Not me, but just because you can doesn't mean you have to, right? What is wrong with 70 or 75?
Old 07-11-2020, 04:30 PM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
Not me, but just because you can doesn't mean you have to, right? What is wrong with 70 or 75?
What's wrong with 70 or 75 PSI is that you don't get the full capacity of the load range E capability... A LRE tire inflated to 65 PSI has the same load capacity as a LRD tire inflated to 65 PSI. It's the air pressure that supports the load, in conjunction with the tire construction. Like "love and marriage" or "horse and carriage" you can't have one without the other.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-11-2020, 04:39 PM   #34
Keystoned

And??? At more than 65 you are already exceeding what the trailer was built to. At 80 you might as well be on solid rubber as there will no give with the somewhat light load since D was deemed sufficient when the unit was built.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:10 PM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
And??? At more than 65 you are already exceeding what the trailer was built to. At 80 you might as well be on solid rubber as there will no give with the somewhat light load since D was deemed sufficient when the unit was built.

You need to go back and read the thread. Viet Vet's trailer weighs more than my previous trailer. LRD tires were "deemed sufficient" for it as well.... and cost 7k. I upgraded to LRE. RVIA came out with revised guidelines that mandate LRE tires for what Viet Vet has as has been noted in the thread.

Not sure where you are getting your "thoughts" on what is/isn't/was/wasn't sufficient but you are wrong. Because it was on the placard prior to the new RVIA recommendations doesn't say that it was "right"...it was wrong and they knew it. It has been corrected.

80psi vs 65psi (LRE vs LRD) on a 10k+ trailer? A "light load"? Not hardly. Running the LRD vs LRE as I have on that size trailer? The LRD is not up to the job and the trailer "moved" all over the place and I had doors fall off, drawers open etc. The LRE tires stopped that. The trailer was smooth when watching in the mirrors. And, the TV had much less pull back and forth. So "on solid rubber" not hardly. A great improvement? Absolutely.

Have you gone that route and btdt speaking from experience or just.....?
Old 07-11-2020, 05:17 PM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Danny has already addressed the inconsistencies in your comments so I'll just add that 80 PSI in a LRE tire is "NOTHING" like solid rubber and Load Range D was a significant error on Keystone's "load planning". LR D tires are not sufficient for that trailer weight. RVIA and Keystone have since started installing LR E tires on all trailers in that weight category.

So....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-11-2020, 06:03 PM   #37
kckettridge

All I have to say about the GY Endurance is that tens of thousands of people have replaced their "China Bombs" with them, including myself and if they start to fail....it's game over for Goodyear.....I just hope we all did the right thing.
kckettridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:15 PM   #38
Keystoned

Actually this thread has rambled so much I lost the bubble. I think the OPs question was answered and I was not even responding about Viet vets situation. Anecdotal stories aside, I guess actual tire loads would lead to correct air pressures for a given tire. Not sure much of that information is known, but it's hard to follow on my phone. Good luck all...not everyone needs the full capacity of a tire, my truck sure doesn't.
It is bad advice to recommend 'just fill it to what the tire is rated for'. Look at your TV tire inflation sticker and I'll bet there are very few LRE equiped TVs that show 80 psi as the recommended pressure all around. Anyone who has driven on LREs at 80 psi probably had to get their teeth or dentures repaired afterwards, and they have shock absorbers, trailers generally don't.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:35 AM   #39
RCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJ View Post
I have a 2019 Keystone Outback 301 UBH.
It came with Trailer King tires, ST225/75R 15.
We are planing a 3 month trip to SD this Aug-Oct.
I would like to upgrade to a better tire before the trip, I have heard too many bad stories about the Chinese tires.
I have heard a lot of good things about the Goodyears, but I am open to suggestions.

I am also thinking about getting a tire pressure monitoring system, like
"Tire Minder" Has anyone had any experience with them? Do they have any problems dropping the signal from the tires?
I have the same camper. Ran the Trailer Kings for a year and just replaced them with Goodyears last week. They are the same load range but have a higher speed range rating. I won't drive any faster but it's nice to have the extra safety margin.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:35 AM   #40
Md Giles

Hey guys! Anyone here had any experience using vision trailer tires? 4Wheelonline is selling them for a bargain. I'm leaning towards getting a set due to its groove design.
Md Giles is offline   Reply With Quote