Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2020, 01:32 PM   #1
gearhead

Hot! Be careful..

I got up early this morning and drank a cup of coffee, had my Nutri Grain blueberry Eggos with peanut butter and plum jelly. Drank half a cup of OJ just to take my pills. It got daylight and decided to wash the Bigfoot. Got through with that about 10AM. Then decided to hook up the utility trailer and load the riding mower. Planning on mowing the family cemetery in Louisiana tomorrow. I had the mower tied down and was closing the tailgate on the trailer by 11AM, and down I went. Bounced off the concrete driveway and was out. Don't know how long. Next thing I know some city electrical workers that were next door were talking to me. Got me up and in the garage and put the fan on me. Brought me 2 bottles of water and a Gatoraid. I sat there about 5 minutes and decided I was good enough to go in the house.
Y'all know how it is down here. Hot and humid. I have problems stopping what I'm doing to drink water. I need to work on that!
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #2
notanlines

Man, you bad need to pass that incident on to your family sawbones. Let the ol’ doc decide if thats all it was! Just trying to look out for you!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:47 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Are you diabetic? All that sugar from the OJ, jelly, peanut butter could have run your blood sugar up very high and when it came down you crashed with hypoglycemia. That's very dangerous and possibly lethal.

Take Jim's advice and see a doctor ASAP. Think what could have happened if that event took place while on the lawn mower or behind the wheel.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:50 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Brent take it EASY!! In these temps and with the humidity one has to be very careful. When working in the heat our company used to provide salt tablets but that was decades ago. I think the solution has moved to sports drinks to replenish the electrolytes.

Another thing that might have caused it by looking at your post....malnourishment! NutriGrain eggos??? I'd be light headed too. Tomorrow try out 3 eggs OE, 6 strips of Wright's thick sliced hickory smoked bacon, 3 slices of Ms. Bairds old fashioned bread toasted and a big side of fried hash browns. Wash down with coffee and juice. After that you may feel a little "light headed" but not to worry; the room for your lungs to expand will come back in a bit.

All kidding aside, take Jim's advice tell the doc about it. Just mentioned in a different thread about the passing of a good friend. He had an episode of short breath 2 days ago but would not go to the hospital as the family wanted. This AM he is gone. Not to scare you; just get it checked out. Take care of yourself and best wishes.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:14 PM   #5
gearhead

Yes back in the old days I would take salt tablets at work. I've gotten a little dizzy before at work way back when I was "on my tools". Working on a steam turbine in Houston heat is brutal. I was talking to my brother about what happened and he said he has the same issue of not drinking water. But he is an Accountant so..
I might give my doc a call and maybe run a blood sugar test. I've never had a blood sugar issue before.
When I got in the house I sat under the ceiling fan and cooled off good. Then boiled 3 eggs and ate them. I used to eat eggs regularly for breakfast and that Wrights bacon. Need to get back to that.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

That healthy stuff will kill you!

Glad your back to vertical. Take care.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:48 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

ghearhead I was 37 when diabetes hit me. I found my best friend after he committed suicide. Three weeks later I was urinating sugar cubes. Thankfully, the DW being a nurse knew what was going on. The doc said I would have been diabetic sooner or later but the stress brought it on sooner.

Get it checked out my friend. Whatever caused it blood sugar, dehydration, doesn't matter it can be very bad for the heart. As in most things like that it's the early treatment that makes all the difference in the world.

Take care of yourself my freind and don't shrug it off.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:31 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Yes back in the old days I would take salt tablets at work. I've gotten a little dizzy before at work way back when I was "on my tools". Working on a steam turbine in Houston heat is brutal. I was talking to my brother about what happened and he said he has the same issue of not drinking water. But he is an Accountant so..
I might give my doc a call and maybe run a blood sugar test. I've never had a blood sugar issue before.
When I got in the house I sat under the ceiling fan and cooled off good. Then boiled 3 eggs and ate them. I used to eat eggs regularly for breakfast and that Wrights bacon. Need to get back to that.
You mention something that Marshall picked up on. DW is diabetic (and I am sort of ). Depending on sugar levels it can make her dizzy, light headed or starve or other stuff. If you haven't checked that you should. I didn't think about it because it's just normal for us...every day and doc every 3 months.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:56 PM   #9
gearhead

I just said to Betty that maybe I should talk to the doc about a blood sugar test. She said she would test me tonight.
I usually run pretty lean not eating a heavy breakfast. I alternate the Eggos with lite yogurt and cereal. Usually a snack of some sort mid morning.
I'm thinking it's back to eggs or a ham and cheese omelet and a English muffin. Actually think I'll make an omelet tonight to microwave in the morning before I leave.
Thanks for all y'alls thoughts and concern.
Betty told me to call her several times in the morning.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 07-08-2020, 06:04 PM   #10
Customer1

You need to talk to your doctor.

I passed out three times last month before making a doctor appointment. He took it very serious and ordered a huge battery of tests. The results so far haven't indicated anything but I'm still waiting on more results.

Go tell your doctor.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:51 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

It's impossible to diagnose this sort of thing over the internet, but it could be anything from an irregular heartbeat (that could be fatal), diabetes, a brain tumor, or even "just dehydration and heat stress"

I retired from medicine in 2009, and honestly don't keep up with all the minor changes, but the big stuff seldom changes. The neighbor lady across the street has been complaining of back pain for the last 3 or 4 years. I kept telling her to talk to her doctor, she kept putting it off. Last week she was diagnosed with Stage 4, metastatic lung cancer with mets to the brain, spine, and liver.

She's now on hospice and not doing well.

Don't put off talking to your doctor about what happened. He knows enough about you and your health status to make an objective assessment about what needs to be verified and what needs to be ruled out... Stay healthy, life is short enough without cutting the tail off the kite every time the wind blows.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:51 PM   #12
rhagfo

Quote:
I just said to Betty that maybe I should talk to the doc about a blood sugar test. She said she would test me tonight.
I usually run pretty lean not eating a heavy breakfast. I alternate the Eggos with lite yogurt and cereal. Usually a snack of some sort mid morning.
I'm thinking it's back to eggs or a ham and cheese omelet and a English muffin. Actually think I'll make an omelet tonight to microwave in the morning before I leave.
Heat stroke is also serious stuff, not sure of your age range, but diabetes is serious business. We almost lost our GD to it she is now T1, she is only 14.

When it is hot out I drink water or Gaitoraid.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:07 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Check that sugar. You may have no issues at all but it does cause some weird stuff for some. DW can't tolerate carbs; potatoes or anything else with them and then sugar....it's a delicate dance. Maybe it's just you were dehydrated but touch all the bases.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:34 AM   #14
Northofu1

Good Morning Brent,
I hope today finds you in better shape. Drink water, stay hydrated. OJ is pure sugar.
Always take pills with water.
Take care.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:59 AM   #15
notanlines

From John: "Stay healthy, life is short enough without cutting the tail off the kite every time the wind blows....."
I've cut that darned thing off three times and it's STILL too short!
Brent, we're going to be watching you now. We want a report on what is said by your doctor and don't try to lie to us....we're all old! We'll know!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:05 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Now we're nagging you worse than an old woman!

Good point on taking pills with water, also caffeine is not a good idea in high heat.

NAG! NAG! NAG!
Old 07-09-2020, 04:59 AM   #17
wiredgeorge

Salt pills are wrong thing to take when doing physical stuff in heat. They deplete your potassium levels and will cause issues as things get out of balance. My coaches used to hand out salt pills when I played football about a 100 years ago and these are not a good idea.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:51 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Salt pills were pre electrolyte drink days. Now we're going from NAG to Doctor Google competitors!

Go see the person with the MD behind their name. (Back to being a NAG )
Old 07-09-2020, 07:45 AM   #19
rhagfo

So, wonder if Gearhead is off to mow today? If so I hope he has plenty of fluids and takes it easy.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:27 PM   #20
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
So, wonder if Gearhead is off to mow today? If so I hope he has plenty of fluids and takes it easy.
Yep. Got a bit of a late start. Got away from the house about 6:15. Rolled up to the cemetery a bit before 9. Hmm..looks like it hasn't been too long since it was mowed by one of the locals. Walked to the back fence where it gets thick, it was thick. OK here we go. Got a water from the 12 waters + 4 Gatorades in the cooler. Face mask, ear plugs, hat, and here we go. Took a break after an hour gassed the mower, and got another water. Ate some crackers. Mowed and drank more water. Ate a banana. I got biggest part of it mowed, the open areas and then started in between the markers. I have a zero turn Gravely and cover some ground fast and get between the markers good. Then it got very hot. I'm thinking I'll call it a day. I had mowed about 3/4 of it. Dang I got hungry. Hit McDonalds on the way home. Went by Betty's tree plantation on the way back. Son and son in law sprayed weeds with Roundup off the ATV last Friday. It was already half dead. Got home and took a short nap. Got up and started mowing my yard. Finished and came in the house and realized I worked through Tucker Carlson.
Betty stumped her toe on china cabinet and it's turning black. Why don't you go to the doctor? NO they will give me a Covid test. I don't want that swab up my nose. So I decided not to bother her about the blood test.
Otherwise all is well. I'm wore out.
I'm thinking I was dehydrated when I went down, but I will call the docs office.
The cemetery:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ly....7958775?hl=en
2023 CanAm Defender SXS