Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
BigCreek

GFCI outlet continues to "pop" nothing plugged it??

Our brand new Hideout 29DFSWE made it about a month before the problem started.
The GFCI outlet in the bathroom "pops" although nothing is plugged in. I have now figured out the 2 kitchen outlets, 1 outdoor outlet and the outdoor mini fridge outlet are all hooked on the same line, as they do not work either. If i reset the GFCI, it will just pop again in a few minutes, nothing plugged into any of the outlets.Even pulled the outdoor mini fridge out. I replaced the GFCI with a new one, same thing happened. Checked all my fuses and reset the breaker many many times. Also checked each outlet with a plug in that said if it is wired correctly, all came back green.
I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts? It is at our remote property, so I try and "fix" it each time we go up to camp.
BigCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:39 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

If you replaced it and it still trips then there is an issue with one of the outlets that's daisy chained to it or there is a problem with the wire. Look everywhere for any outlet that's not visible like behind the fridge, inside cabinets, etc.
There could be a staple or screw that's pierced the wire somewhere. Trip the GFI, take your outlet tester and check all the outlets. Wright them down so you know what they all are. First, with the breaker off, remove the GFI and remove the load wires. Test the wires that were on the load side with an ohm meter and see what you find.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:54 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^When you read that load side and find a fault you will have to move to the next outlet to check it. It may or may not be obvious how the wiring is ran from one to the other. The other outlets shouldn't be GFCI plugs and you probably won't know line from load so check both sides (detached from the plug).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
BigCreek

Thank you for the advice! We are headed up to Idaho on Friday and plan on spending Saturday fixing or trying to fix this issue!
Old 07-08-2020, 05:55 PM   #5
Customer1

Check the outside receptacle for water intrusion.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:47 PM   #6
BigCreek

It is on the list. This is actually how it all started...went to plug in the outside outlet, no power then realized the GFCI was tripped and etc. etc. The outside outlet did not seem wet but we have had a really wet summer! Thank you for the advice!
Old 07-08-2020, 08:40 PM   #7
texas-traveler

gfci popped

have similar problem with my 2018 av320rs.
traced out the circuits with a digital vom that is tied to the gfci in bathroom, outlet in the bedroom, outlets in the pass thru, outside outlet, island galley, tv and outlet next to the microwave.
found that by measuring all the outlets that tied to the gfci, had the ripple voltage across the circuit ground and earth ground. the voltage measured 3vac ripple voltage between the circuit ground and the earth ground. isolated the source( noise emanating from the ac to dc converter) by tripping off each breaker until I found the source of the vac noise. checked for live wiring that may have been crossed too tight across a ground wire in the power distribution panel. then reseated all the grounds including the earth ground terminal strip. ripple was reduced and so far has not repeated. ripple was reduce too just over 2vac.
gfci sockets look for voltage leaks that emulate a short circuit to the safety circuits.
have acquired a circuit signal tracer to make anymore wiring tracing easier.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:22 PM   #8
BigCreek

Good news..found why the GFCI was being tripped. Bad news...it was a water tank leak. It looked like they over tightened the main water tank dump and cracked it. We had noticed a leak, thought it was overflow but it was not. Pulled the entire under shield off and it had a pretty good puddle in it and steady stream coming out. Of course the outside outlet wires were right above the puddle and the ground was barely in the nut. Had to pull (really I mean Break) out the entire water dump unit and make an entire new water dump. We made several trips into the nearest ACE and a 1 tube of JB Weld putty and PVC tube/caps later, new main water dump. Fixed the ground and let it all dry out. GFCI works perfectly now!
Why does a NEW trailer mean your going to have to fix a lot??
Old 07-12-2020, 01:50 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCreek View Post
Good news..found why the GFCI was being tripped. Bad news...it was a water tank leak. It looked like they over tightened the main water tank dump and cracked it. We had noticed a leak, thought it was overflow but it was not. Pulled the entire under shield off and it had a pretty good puddle in it and steady stream coming out. Of course the outside outlet wires were right above the puddle and the ground was barely in the nut. Had to pull (really I mean Break) out the entire water dump unit and make an entire new water dump. We made several trips into the nearest ACE and a 1 tube of JB Weld putty and PVC tube/caps later, new main water dump. Fixed the ground and let it all dry out. GFCI works perfectly now!
Why does a NEW trailer mean your going to have to fix a lot??

I think the RV manufacturers do that as a courtesy for the purchaser of a new RV. They know that you've just spent years and thousands of dollars fixing that 5-6 year old trailer you have and now you have nothing to do resulting in boredom. So, we go buy a new one! Now we've got plenty to do, new things to investigate, problems to investigate, putting the piece parts back after they fall off.... Wow! I bet the RV makers think it's a win win deal.... And on the flip side, I envision that new owner of the trailer I traded in......just sitting.....staring around....bored....wondering what to do because I fixed it all. I just can't help but feel sorry for whoever that is. (This is all tongue in cheek)
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:20 PM   #10
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Glad you got it fixed

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:20 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

I was wondering what happened.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gfci