Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
wayfun

Laredo owners with dual AC units read this..

I recently picked up my new 2015 Laredo 322RL travel trailer which I had ordered with the second bedroom AC unit. I ordered that option based on Keystone's marketing materials that described the "race track" ducted AC system. See http://www.keystonerv.com/media/8945...ster_apr14.pdf
I wanted that system so that on moderately warm days I could run the bedroom AC to cool the trailer in order to keep the AC noise away from the living area while watching TV or conversing.

When I got home and tried the system I found that the bedroom AC was not tied into the duct work. It only blew out of the vents in the grill. It would freeze the bedroom and only cycle on for about 30 seconds at a time because it got cold so fast. I asked a service guy at the dealer and he said he didn't think any of them were ducted. The next day I called Keystone customer service to ask them. The rep there checked with the Laredo team and told me that none were ducted. Didn't care for that answer either. After thinking about it a couple of weeks I sent Keystone a certified letter requesting a refund of my option cost since I couldn't use it as advertised. I knew that was a futile attempt but it made me feel better. I promptly received a call from Keystone and there only suggestion was to take it back to the dealer and let them look at it to see what I had. Geez, I gave them my VIN number and I would have expected for them to be able to tell me what I had. I insisted that I would not take it back to the dealer unless they could assure me the ductwork was there to attach to. I saw no reason to take it to the dealer and leave it for who knows how long only to find out nothing could be done. I'm still waiting on that answer.

So today I decided to take the grills off and look at it myself. What I found was that each side of the AC air box was covered with foil sheets with nothing rigid behind it. So I cut a small hole in the foil to look behind it and found a 1 1/2 X 6 inch foam duct that was in line with the ceiling vents. I cut a small hole in the foam duct and felt air blowing out from the living area AC. Bingo, I found the "racetrack." The duct and the AC unit were separated by a 2 by 2 at the top and bottom. I then decided to go for broke and cut a 1 1/2 x 6 inch opening in the foam duct on each side. On the left the foam was a little further away from the wood so I fabricated a metal duct from some ductwork I picked up a Lowes. I then put it in place and sealed it up with aluminum tape. On the right side the duct was tight against the wood so I was able to just cut the opening and left one long side hinged. I then taped everything with tape to seal it up. This modification was much less effort that hooking the trailer to my truck and going to the dealer. Hope the photos help illustrate this.

Now I get air flow throughout the trailer from either AC unit. And with both units on together the air flow is incredible. There will be no problem cooling the trailer on the hottest days.

I am very disappointed in Keystone. One for not installing the AC properly at the factory to start with. And then secondly for the poor support and communication from Keystone customer service.

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	left foam duct2.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	6905   Click image for larger version

Name:	left foam duct.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	6906   Click image for larger version

Name:	duct1.jpg