Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2024, 07:48 AM   #1
JShort880

Just landed in Savannah. How to make the noseeums hate me?

Happy day everyone.

We just landed in Savannah and after setting up the toy hauler office the dogs politely ask that I put the patio down. Not as beautiful of a view as our last, but it'll do.

What won't do is the Noseeum's biting me. What's the best trick to repel them from my area (would love to keep the back down. I'm hearing they hate camphor, eucalyptus, mint or lemon essential oils.

2021 Ford F450
JShort880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 08:13 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

LOL...noseeums. Those things are a HUGE irritation. In our years of dealing with them we've never found a way to get rid of them. Citronella candles/torches help quite a bit; some folks run a campfire non stop in the evenings to help; some wipe on Off or some other product to keep them from biting (doesn't stop them from going up your nose or down your throat); even had a lady that lives in the FL panhandle come over one day and suggest we buy this little electrified tennis racket looking thing. She walked around with it just swatting in the air and you could see the little sparks coming off the grids inside the racket frame. Looked pretty cool so bought 2 of them.....I just didn't have that kind of luck (or expertise). I now know that when they're out heavy and I plan to cook out (most evenings) I just plan on them being part of the menu.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 08:54 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Good Morning,

All the "remedies" you posted appear to be "natural ingredients", so if you're looking for "environmentally friendly applications" my recommendation may not fit your needs. That said, remember that some ingredients that are "environmentally friendly to humans" can be "very unfriendly to specific pets", so if you go that route, heed the precautions for those "seemingly safe natural products"... They may be OK for you, but not for your dogs or cats.

We live in the "great unpopulated forest area of northern Michigan". To say "unpopulated" what I mean is by humans. There is an extreme "overpopulation of insects" many of which don't want to co-exist with us, but rather either desire to "eat us for lunch" or "make our life so uncomfortable that we "leave their space completely"... Black flies, deer flies, ticks, mosquitoes and no-seeums are in abundance.

We've found that for us, a spray product, Spectracide Triazicide will reduce the level of most "biting insects" for a couple of days, or until the next heavy rain. We use the garden hose and spray the area around our patio, out about 25', and find that reduces the population of "the enemy" enough for us to sit outside comfortably for a couple of days.

If you're in a "formal campground" you may find resistance from the management if you attempt to apply or spray anything, the management may challenge you, so get permission or at least make them aware of what you're spraying or even what you're applying to their campsite. Even "natural, eco-friendly products" may cause them to criticize you.

Here's a photo of what we've used successfully around our house and at times around our campsites.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SPECTRACIDE.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	46253  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote