Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2024, 03:40 PM   #1
jasin1

Oceana Dunes wave damage

Large waves in California damaged a bunch of RVs at an ocean side camping area…best to have an exit plan or really good insurance…Is flood insurance a separate rider on rv insurance? i need to check mine…i know on my house i have a separate flood insurance policy
Old 01-06-2024, 04:19 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Watching all the catastrophe youboob videos probably keeps you up at night. Walk in the sunshine and don't worry about tomorrow; today will have enough things go wrong.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 04:44 PM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Watching all the catastrophe youboob videos probably keeps you up at night. Walk in the sunshine and don't worry about tomorrow; today will have enough things go wrong.
You’re absolutely right George…I need quit reading the news also lol
Old 01-06-2024, 06:01 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
You’re absolutely right George…I need quit reading the news also lol

Yep. Probably need to lay off watching those things. That stuff had me thinking I might need to get flood insurance on my stuff. Went wandering around the place thinking if that insurance might be a good thing. I'm still pondering but after looking about the place a bit I'm thinking I'm going to hold off a while.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/word...fence-post.jpg

Edit Add: It appears those folks just don't pay attention. If you are going to park an RV right on the beach I would think one would be very much in tune with what was going on with tides, winds, waves etc. - they are unpredictable.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 07:32 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

When I was stationed at Edwards AFB back in the early 70's, about 10 or 12 shacks in Rosamond (just outside Edwards) had very large boats in the back yard. All of them were 35' or longer, none on trailers, just sitting on barrels or racks.

I asked a couple of the old timers in a bar one Saturday afternoon what the boats were doing, in the desert, a hundred miles and a mountain range from any body of water large enough to float them....

The answer: Those people are ready for when the fault splits and Rosamond becomes "oceanfront property".....

Flood insurance ???? In the desert ???? No need, just buy a bigger boat !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 08:44 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Yep. Probably need to lay off watching those things. That stuff had me thinking I might need to get flood insurance on my stuff. Went wandering around the place thinking if that insurance might be a good thing. I'm still pondering but after looking about the place a bit I'm thinking I'm going to hold off a while.

Edit Add: It appears those folks just don't pay attention. If you are going to park an RV right on the beach I would think one would be very much in tune with what was going on with tides, winds, waves etc. - they are unpredictable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When I was stationed at Edwards AFB back in the early 70's, about 10 or 12 shacks in Rosamond (just outside Edwards) had very large boats in the back yard. All of them were 35' or longer, none on trailers, just sitting on barrels or racks.

I asked a couple of the old timers in a bar one Saturday afternoon what the boats were doing, in the desert, a hundred miles and a mountain range from any body of water large enough to float them....

The answer: Those people are ready for when the fault splits and Rosamond becomes "oceanfront property".....

Flood insurance ???? In the desert ???? No need, just buy a bigger boat !!!!!

Where i live the Bay is several hundred feet from my front door but we usually get advance notice of storm surges or high water events…haven’t had anything significant since Hurricane Isabelle in 2003….we stay in the Keys every year and by the ocean in Delaware regularly …we almost always prefer to be as close to a body of water as possible. ..it looks like most rv insurance would cover that with comprehensive….i think homeowners policy’s don’t include flood insurance because it would drive up everyone’s premium even if you lived in the desert…so flood insurance is an extra policy that you can have ( quite expensive) ..if you live in an area known for flooding…We have it and so do most of my neighbors…i think if you have a mortgage and live by the water some banks may require it also.
Old 01-07-2024, 06:09 AM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

So true, We were winter hosting at a closed park on the Oregon coast (Beachside) the host site is about maybe 100' from the beach. Our first experience with King Tides was a bit exciting.
High tide was to be 2:00 am, we checked conditions at about 11:30pm and it wasn't bad. Woke the next morning, and got out Beagle ready for her walk, as we reached the park road in front of out rig, looking down the road, it was covered with sand and driftwood! It had washed up the small creek in that part of the park.
More concerning was that the creek behind our unit was also filled with driftwood, the only think protecting our unit was a bout a 3' berm on our side of the creek.
As we checked the park later several sites had sand and driftwood in them.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 06:06 AM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post

Maybe i had a premonition??….3 days after i posted this we had the worst storm since Isabel in 2003…couple of inches of water in the basement,several more inches in my detached garage…pier damage and hours spent moving vehicles and getting stuff off the ground.

It was a big mess and biggest storm we’ve ever had in the winter and worst flooding since 2003.

maybe i should post about people winning the lottery?
Old 01-12-2024, 08:08 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Maybe i had a premonition??….3 days after i posted this we had the worst storm since Isabel in 2003…couple of inches of water in the basement,several more inches in my detached garage…pier damage and hours spent moving vehicles and getting stuff off the ground.

It was a big mess and biggest storm we’ve ever had in the winter and worst flooding since 2003.

maybe i should post about people winning the lottery?
Can make a prediction that I win the lottery? I'll reward you handsomely if vit comes true!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 10:37 AM   #10
Bill-2020

And that is how Mother Nature takes back what belongs to her.
Old 01-12-2024, 01:48 PM   #11
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
And that is how Mother Nature takes back what belongs to her.
I wish Mother Nature would pay the property taxes
Old 01-12-2024, 01:54 PM   #12
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Can make a prediction that I win the lottery? I'll reward you handsomely if vit comes true!
you got a deal
Old 01-12-2024, 03:10 PM   #13
Don77

Yep!
We moved from California a few years ago, and that is the mind set of many of the people there, they do not pay any attention to what is happening or what could happen around them!
Glad we are out of the pot capital of USA!

Don
Old 01-12-2024, 08:46 PM   #14
BSandersAZ

I have camped in that exact spot. The distance from the water is considerable. And you’re probably 10 feet above the surf. So, it’s doesn’t seem risky to camp there. That said when I saw the news, I was shocked to say the least.

Back to the original question, would your rv insurance cover a freak situation such as this?

BradAZ
BSandersAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 05:47 AM   #15
Badbart56

This is part of our reasons for leaving Florida. I worked numerous hurricane recovery efforts when I was assigned to assist other law enforcement agencies over the years and I was tired of dealing with the storms. Not to mention that I had to leave my family to fend for themselves while I was out helping others. That was just part of the job, but not a fun part for sure.

And only after I moved out of state did I realize how much we had been paying for insurance and property taxes. I still visit Florida occasionally as I have family there, but I don't care to live there anymore.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 07:38 AM   #16
GlasNav

Many of us are weather geeks, my excuse comes from being at sea for too many years. However, simple situational awareness appears to wane when there is a collective of people doing the same thing, eg camping on a beach. I'm sure somebody in that group saw the forecast and rather than being an alarmist chose to follow the crowd.
A little coastal weather insight regarding that specific area. The primary direction of wind and wave activity in that area is from the Northwest. Point San Luis which is immediately to the West side of Avila Beach provides protection to the coastal area down to Oceano. Any low pressure system that comes further down the Pacific Coast than normal alters the effects of the sea direction, thus the situation encountered at Oceano Dunes. Please don't try to second guess me on this, I spent three years working out of the offshore moorings at Morro Bay before the facility was closed by the NIMBY bunch. The facility had been in place since WWI and fell to the NIMBY new comers that didn't want oil tankers loading in their new backyard.
Additionally, the Pacific Coast is a weather coast, not a lee coast like the East Coast, this means that storms generated on the opposite side of the Pacific Ocean have the entire expanse to build and generate considerable fetch. (Off the Soap Box)

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 07:48 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
This is part of our reasons for leaving Florida. I worked numerous hurricane recovery efforts when I was assigned to assist other law enforcement agencies over the years and I was tired of dealing with the storms. Not to mention that I had to leave my family to fend for themselves while I was out helping others. That was just part of the job, but not a fun part for sure.

And only after I moved out of state did I realize how much we had been paying for insurance and property taxes. I still visit Florida occasionally as I have family there, but I don't care to live there anymore.
Same with us in Louisiana after Katrina and Rita in 2005. Our property taxes and insurance doubled the next policy period and continued to go up from there. When I retired, DW simply said that she was tired of living in a "gated community" where wild hogs, alligators and snakes roamed freely and wanted to move back home near her family. So, we moved north, which is the opposite of what most retirees do.

Today, I'm looking at the "aftermath of last night's blizzard" and considering whether I want to move 3' drifts during this lul in the snow or wait until later to clear the snow.

Good thing (if you can call it good) is that snow "just sits and looks pretty" for the most part. Very different than water !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 09:21 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Same with us in Louisiana after Katrina and Rita in 2005. Our property taxes and insurance doubled the next policy period and continued to go up from there. When I retired, DW simply said that she was tired of living in a "gated community" where wild hogs, alligators and snakes roamed freely and wanted to move back home near her family. So, we moved north, which is the opposite of what most retirees do.

Today, I'm looking at the "aftermath of last night's blizzard" and considering whether I want to move 3' drifts during this lul in the snow or wait until later to clear the snow.

Good thing (if you can call it good) is that snow "just sits and looks pretty" for the most part. Very different than water !!!!!

When DD first moved to FL I fully intended to buy a house there. I've always loved the water and really liked FL. I knew they could get hurricanes and had evern passed through after one many years ago but they seemed kind of abstract.

When I started looking at houses initially the pricing was a bit startling but where I wanted to be wasn't like being in Miami, Tampa etc. and wasn't "that" bad, but, when I started inquiring about insurance, codes, building requirements etc. it became obvious to me that I needed to live inland....and that just wasn't what I wanted so we RV there now for several months. Then over the years I've dodged a few hurricanes, arrived in the aftermath, assisted in cleanup etc. - the ocean and what it can do is very humbling. I fully understand the insurance rates, the hesitancy to insure buildings and the costs associated with not only insurance but property....it's just not for me.

I also gave up on the snow. Our home in the mountains was at 9k ft. Back in the 90s we would get 15'+ of snow. I was younger then and it was fun; also had little grandkids that made it fun. They grew up, I got older and that snow became work and a great irritation. Unlike the ocean the snow just "sits" like you said....but it always "sat" where I didn't want it and it required me to do something - clean off 1000sq. ft. of deck; clean 2 flights of stairs to the deck; clean the parking area; clean the road; cut trees etc. Summer required non stop mtce. - it just wasn't worth it at this stage of life so I sold it in 2020. Now, we're back in the farming/desert part of W TX. Hot in the summer and a never ending supply of wind and dirt. Over the last 2 weeks we've had 5 days with winds 40+mph and blowing sand bad enough to make it dark at times. It's all a trade off. If pup wasn't sick I wouldn't be here to deal with it but that's life.

As far as that video, those people should just pay attention to the weather and have some knowledge of what the beach does. Heck, just go out and stand in the beach sand in the surf as the tide comes in....everything around you're feet just disappears....so go the RVs.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage