Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2023, 04:56 PM   #1
Brightowl

2022 alpine 3220rl

I am considering this model does anyone have this rv, and what are your thoughts on quality
Brightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 03:13 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightowl View Post
I am considering this model does anyone have this rv, and what are your thoughts on quality
Welcome. That is a large 5th wheel with a gross weight 15,500 lbs. Pin weight will be over 3600 lbs when the camper is fully loaded so a truck with a PAYLOAD (see the yellow/white placard in your driver's door frame) will need over 4500 lbs payload as you will need to add the weight of occupants, gear and the hitch to your pin weight of the trailer. From memory, there are few complaints about Alpine quality except for the tires used by Keystone from the factory. Most of the negatives have to do with the tires failing and damaging their Alpine.

As far as the floorplan, you should be able to get up to the bathroom with the slides pulled in (a consideration when traveling). I am not a fan of the east/west bed layout due to the slide stressing the frame and lack of night stands. Other than that, the layout looks pretty good.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 05:09 AM   #3
Brightowl

Thanks for the info
Old 10-03-2023, 06:40 AM   #4
ChuckS

Have owned my Alpine for ten seasons now.. 3010RE which is the baby size of the Alpine series..

2022 issues ..
.. OEM Oracle Hispec tires are complete crap.. if this unit has them remove before buying … install either Sailun S637 series or Hercules H901 series 14 ply tires
.. In Command and HVAC issues have shown up on some models in this year group and that 2022 should have had any issues resolved with controlling HVAC via display tablet
.. on demand water heater .. model IW60RL by Airxcel is pure junk.. be prepared for issues with this water heater and also must learn how to winterize this WH properly or it will damage the recirculation pump.. period
.. some 2022 Alpines come with the Equalizer Hydraulic system instead of the Lippert Hydraulic system.. Lippert is solid system and Equalizer is quirky and factory support from equalizer is about useless

This is the NHTSA info on the issue with EOL resistor on some Alpine 2021 and 2022 units that renders the HVAC inoperable

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...26766-0001.pdf

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 07:00 AM   #5
ChuckS

Here is the full list of NHTSA recalls on the 2022 Alpine .. make sure they have all been completed

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2022/K...ALPINE#recalls

This is the list of Keystone issues from Keystone that they have also addressed

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2022/K...Communications

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 07:16 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightowl View Post
You can take what Chuck says to the bank as he is an RV tech and very very savvy. I have an old 2002 Cougar and not familiar with any of the electronic gee gaws on the newer campers. Good luck!
Old 10-03-2023, 07:37 AM   #7
Brightowl

Thanks for the info. Very helpful
Old 10-03-2023, 07:40 AM   #8
jsb5717

Seems important to note that the issues that Chuck has listed are not unique to Alpine. Keystone doesn’t make any of those sub-components, they just install them. Any other brand or model that contains these components are subject to the same issues.

There are things you can fix and other things you just have to live with. Such as…do I really want an on-demand hot water system? For me…no. From what I’ve read they are generally more trouble than the tried and true tank systems. Or…do I really want an Equalizer level system? These can be troublesome and is something that could nag you for as long as you own the rig. Do they work? Yes. Just beware.

Generally speaking Alpine is a very nice trailer with higher end finishes. Any trailer you buy will have something that needs fixing. Chuck has given you a great heads up on what to look for in the Alpine. So walk into any potential purchase with your eyes wide open and keep asking the questions you’re asking here. The more you know the better prepared you’ll be. If the trailer is well-built then most other issues can be worked through. Most owners work through the initial issues, maintain the ongoing ones, and end up with a sound, reliable trailer that serves them well for many years.

That’s been our experience with our Monty. Hopefully it will be yours with whatever you purchase. Good luck in your search.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 07:46 AM   #9
Brightowl

Thanks for all your input
Old 10-03-2023, 07:55 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

BTW: Is this a new 2022 model or used? We always stress a rigorous check before signing on the dotted line. There is a checklist floating around someone might be able to point you to. When I bought my old 2002 Cougar, it was hooked up to water and electricity for me to check things thoroughly and don't be afraid to look carefully at the roof. MANY issues with a camper are due to the things on the roof not properly sealed. If the sealant around the penetrations is cracked or worse, these should be resealed and the areas in the trailer where water might penetrate should be carefully checked; if it is a new trailer don't assume everything is sealed properly.
Old 10-03-2023, 08:11 AM   #11
Brightowl

Thanks it is a new unit
Old 10-03-2023, 08:30 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

There is an older "pre delivery inspection" that has been the "go to recommendation" for RV buyers for quite some time.

It's located in the first post in our thread at this link: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=5129

The link in the first post will take you to the actual document.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 12:32 PM   #13
travelin texans

New or used, if you're not experienced in rv operations & maintenance I'd strongly suggest hiring an independent rv inspector to go over your potential purchase before signing anything. Then be sure everything they may find is corrected before before signing, after you've signed there's no incentive for them to be in any rush to repair anything.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 07:42 PM   #14
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
New or used, if you're not experienced in rv operations & maintenance I'd strongly suggest hiring an independent rv inspector to go over your potential purchase before signing anything. Then be sure everything they may find is corrected before before signing, after you've signed there's no incentive for them to be in any rush to repair anything.
Danny's words are critical and very correct. Once you sign, the ball is in your court as far as any issues. The seller is very much motivated to fixing if the papers are not signed.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:11 PM   #15
Brightowl

Great info
Old 10-08-2023, 08:21 AM   #16
FullTimeAlpine

I have this trailer. What do you want to know?

For the most part it's a solid coach. I have had a laundry list of issues fixed, and I bought it used, had been lived in for just under a year. Here's what I had them fix:

Melted plastic backsplash above stove - still working on this, ****ty design
Waste a gray tank labels swapped
Bedroom slideout failed - motor replaced
Microwave cabinet doors loose, sagging - not fixed
Side counter upper cabinet underside piece separated - reattached
Rear underbelly separated, staples came loose - screwed back together
Bottom dresser drawer slide disintegrated
Horrible sound coming from rear ceiling - HVAC had a leak
Yellowing caulk on counters - just the way it is
Door latch is problematic - adjusted
Oven knob doesn't work - replaced oven
Front compartment door doesn't lock - longer tab installed

The good, I have 400W of solar panels, a 2000W inverter, and a SmartShunt battery monitor. The original owners opted for little group 24 lead acid batteries... I'm looking at upgrading to lithium batteries but that's going to be over $2100. I might just install lead acid group 31's for an eighth of the price.

The on-demand hot water system works well, but I do have to wait at least a minute to get hot water. It's pretty wasteful and wouldn't be good boondocking.

The iN-Command system is pretty cool. I'm a gadget guy and love being able control most of the trailer systems from my arm chair. Luckily they finally upgraded the app a couple months ago because it wouldn't work on any current Android devices. All good now. I'm sad it won't control the ceiling fan or the on-demand hot water. It would have been nice to have remote controlled waste valves too, but I hear those can be expensive and problematic.

The big fridge is nice, but it's a Norcold. Evidently Norcold has had a design flaw for forever, but they still put them out. I couldn't figure out why I had rainforest conditions inside the fridge. It was bad, tons of water dripping like crazy and not even getting caught by the drip tray. Pools and puddles everywhere and even started leaking into the cabinetry. A google search revealed that the flapper on the left door did not extend completely, leaving a big gap between the doors. It was acting as a dehumidifier for the coach. Taking off the left door and adding a washed to the bottom hinge-peg solved the problem.

I am disappointed that they didn't install any colored LED lighting in the living spaces or around the island countertop, but I added my own.

The fireplace has a growly motor. I'll need to replace it one of these days.

It has 3 AC units. The forward and aft units are smaller and quieter than the central unit. The rear one seems to run with the heater, I believe for dehumidification purposes. I like this. I have not been through a winter yet, so we'll see how well that works. My smaller Hideout has problems with the condensation in the winter even with a dehumidifier running 24/7.

There is a loud creaky spot, maybe more of a groan, on the starboard slideout where the rear dining chair goes. It complains every time I step there.

Lots of storage here, but the cabinets are strangely setup. They're too small in the kitchen and bathroom but quite large in the living area.

I made a mistake by installing discrete a clothes washer and a dryer. By bracketing the closet, I drastically reduced my clothes hanging space. This is compounded by the W/D having the be installed with the doors opening up into the closet space. It's a ridiculous setup, trying to do laundry in here. This is also compounded by the lack of space between the bed and the closet. I have to be a contortionist.

Speaking of lack of space by the bed, in what world is like 9" enough room next to the bed? Making the bed sucks.

I'm sure I could think of more, but this is a lot.
FullTimeAlpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 11:16 AM   #17
Brightowl

I really appreciate all your input. We are looking at a new 2022 this week. Hopefully all will be well

Tags
alpine