Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2023, 06:08 AM   #1
Max23

Pre Purchase Inspection

So, in many threads, in many posts, I read, do a "thorough" pre purchase inspection. Did you do or you should have done etc etc. I'm finding out that I did not do a thorough enough pre purchase inspection. That said, I did look at certain things with open eyes and looked at the basics. Still while first using came across some minor things that I needed to fix or caulk etc. My question is, how can one really do a thorough inspection prior to purchase? You can't run water through it. You can't take a shower to see if it leaks. You can't hose it down to see if the roof leaks or windows leak. You can't use the toilet to see if it works or leaks or you have trouble with the dumping of the system. You can't run the furnace or A/C while its sitting on the lot. So many things you just don't have access to be able to do. It's not hooked up to water and sewer or electricity when your looking at it or "inspecting" it. The propane tanks (dependent upon the dealer) may or may not have propane in them. Some do and ours did but I don't think that is everywhere, maybe I'm wrong. Can't really test the "in command" system without prior access on your phone. I guess what I am looking at is, your still at the mercy of the dealers pre out the door inspection to a large point, are you not? Am I missing something here? Just very curious from a standpoint of purchasing the next unit. As we are keeping our eyes open for that perfect 5er.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 06:20 AM   #2
Canonman

One option would be to use the services of a certified Rv inspector.
Here's a link to a page that presents why an inspection is important and what should be covered. Perhaps not an all inclusive list but pretty thorough.
https://rvinspectionandcare.com/rv-inspection/
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 06:38 AM   #3
Wyldfire

Every trailer I have bought has been plugged in hooked up to water and water in fresh water tank. I test all systems plugged and unplugged. Test outlets with outlet tester. Even check saniflush system. Found backl flow preventer leaking on last trailer. Replaced before signing paperwork. I even get on roof and inspect
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 07:02 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

My dealer (CW) has slots set up with full facilities for a thorough PDI for buyers. Obviously some things can get by because you either can't see them or they are an oversight but you can check out 99% of the important stuff.

A buyer is always at the mercy of the dealer in many respects, that is why it is always stressed that one finds a GOOD dealer - their due diligence, competence and trustworthiness can mean everything in an RV sale.

In Command? Wont have it. I selected this trailer and bypassed other models because I want to enjoy camping, not fight with a half baked electronic headache.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 07:30 AM   #5
Max23

We purchased from a local dealer whom I trust completely. We have known the owners for years. (who have now retired and their sons run it) I feel their inspection was done very well and I know of their reputation as a business. So I wasn't to worried about this one. I am more asking for future as who knows where the next one will come from. I was unaware you even had the option of hooking it up to see all things work. Great info! This is why we ask questions, right?
Old 09-20-2023, 08:27 AM   #6
tallen

When I bought mine, I think it was around 2 to 3 hours before I was done and told the dealer, let start the final paperwork. I apologize to my sales person and tech person for taking so long, but I was not going to be rushed.
2005 F250 6.0L 4x4 Diesel SRW

tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 08:56 AM   #7
Jonahex2099

When we first looked at our Passport, we went around the entire trailer, and I flagged with red tape every thing I found that needed fixed - almost everything was minor, but I flat out told the sales guy that everything we marked needed to be fixed....I went back a few days later and said I wanted to look at it again, he grabbed the roll of tape and I found a few more things.

When we went to do the deal, I went over the entire list, and verified it had all been fixed, it was. While we were hooking it up to the truck, the tongue jack died....they replaced it (with a better one too) on the spot....

Jonahex2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 09:35 AM   #8
Roper46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonahex2099 View Post
When we first looked at our Passport, we went around the entire trailer, and I flagged with red tape every thing I found that needed fixed - almost everything was minor, but I flat out told the sales guy that everything we marked needed to be fixed....I went back a few days later and said I wanted to look at it again, he grabbed the roll of tape and I found a few more things.

When we went to do the deal, I went over the entire list, and verified it had all been fixed, it was. While we were hooking it up to the truck, the tongue jack died....they replaced it (with a better one too) on the spot....
This ^^^^. Do not sign papers until all issues have been corrected. Once you sign papers you will fall to the end of the usually very long line for the Service Department.

Also, ref the In-Command during the PDI. It should work without having to use a phone. The display has a default passcode which I think is four zeros. I personally have not had any problem with mine that has not been corrected by a software update or a reset using the power button.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 05:32 PM   #9
Camping family

I just did a pdi on our new to us Montana 3761fl. PDI took 2 1/2 hrs. Prior to the pdi I told the dealer I wanted the breaks checked and new bearings and re packed. Water system sanitized, roof washed and uv protected. That was done when I got there. Myself n two techs did the walkthrough. Only found a few minor things wrong they were fixed. Did a complete walk around, went underneath, tested slides, ran water in all faucets flushed toilets. Used a tester in all plugs checked all lights. Checked inside all cargo compartments. Because of handicap couldn’t get on roof, however; technician did go on the roof for me and took photos. I think I did a good pdi time will tell taking delivery tomorrow.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 05:38 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
I just did a pdi on our new to us Montana 3761fl. PDI took 2 1/2 hrs. Prior to the pdi I told the dealer I wanted the breaks checked and new bearings and re packed. Water system sanitized, roof washed and uv protected. That was done when I got there. Myself n two techs did the walkthrough. Only found a few minor things wrong they were fixed. Did a complete walk around, went underneath, tested slides, ran water in all faucets flushed toilets. Used a tester in all plugs checked all lights. Checked inside all cargo compartments. Because of handicap couldn’t get on roof, however; technician did go on the roof for me and took photos. I think I did a good pdi time will tell taking delivery tomorrow.

Congrats! Sounds like lots of fun coming. That's a pretty big upgrade so hope it proves to be everything you hope.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 12:30 PM   #11
Nhkev

I would hire a company who specializes in new RVS inspections.
Nhkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 12:53 PM   #12
NH_Bulldog

We bought ours (750 miles away), when we arrived they had batteries installed, propane tanks filled, fresh water tank filled and hooked up to shore power. We did the initial paperwork but before I handed them the check, we signed a document that stated finalization of the deal was subject to a positive pre-purchase inspection. We spent the better part of the day there running and testing and inspecting EVERYTHING. We found a few items that needed attention, the dealer documented it all, called the dealer closest to our house, arranged for parts and a service appointment for the following week at home and we finished the deal and off we went.

As detailed as we were, there are still things you just cannot uncover until you get out there and start using it, and sometimes it takes months or a year before you find issues.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 01:59 PM   #13
LenH

Pre-delivery inspection

We bought our current trailer at Lazydays in Tampa. They have a swap out lot so you can park old and new units side by side and take your time to transfer. They have water in the new holding tank and power for both units. You can stay the night and make sure everything works, and take advantage of the pool at their adjacent RV Park. Best setup I have ever seen!
LenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 03:37 PM   #14
Max23

Wow, that sounds amazing. They must really want to be the trusted seller in the area!!